It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nebraska Resurrects "Justifiable Homicide" Abortion Bill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Nebraska Resurrects "Justifiable Homicide" Abortion Bill

Just when abortion rights supporters thought they had beaten a controversial bill they believe would legalize the killing of abortion providers, it has cropped up again—this time in a more expansive form that has drawn the concern of law enforcement officials.

Last week, South Dakota's legislature shelved a bill, introduced by Republican state Rep. Phil Jensen, which would have allowed the use of the "justifiable homicide" defense for killings intended to prevent harm to a fetus. Now a nearly identical bill is being considered in neighboring Nebraska, where on Wednesday the state legislature held a hearing on the measure.

Advertise on MotherJones.com

The legislation, LB 232, was introduced by state Sen. Mark Christensen, a devout Christian and die-hard abortion foe who is opposed to the prodedure even in the case of rape. Unlike its South Dakota counterpart, which would have allowed only a pregnant woman, her husband, her parents, or her children to commit "justifiable homicide" in defense of her fetus, the Nebraska bill would apply to any third party.

"In short, this bill authorizes and protects vigilantes, and that's something that's unprecedented in our society,"

I'm for abortion... but understands the other side, and I agree that it shouldn't be done like it's nothing like some women are doing... but this is just sick.

How do people elect those nutjobs? Seriously, it's not just the ``muslims`` who have their extremists...

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Quote from the Bible, Matthew 7:3; " Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?"

Abortion is the end of a problem not the beginning, so you must first understand when did children become a curse from God and not a blessing. And it all comes back to the idol worship of Liberty, you can see a turn in our society from the day we put up the statue of Liberty to this day. This then becomes the plank in our own eye.

In order for women to have Liberty, you must do away with the things that take away Liberty, and what are they?
1. Children, Liberty says children are a burden that keeps you tied down.
2. Mirage, Liberty says you may have sex with whom you want when you want.
3. Money, Liberty says you must have your own income to have true Liberty.
4. Husbands, Liberty says you must do away with head of household to have Liberty.

We have been successful in making it easy to do away with some or all of these things, and women can now truly have her Liberty, but sacrifices must be made, and children are one of them.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Too many people on the planet... Religion needs to step out of the way. If we can justify bombs dropped on churches and schools as collateral damage in the name of war, we can certainly justify the abortion of an unborn fetus.

We need fewer children on the planet. Fewer unemployed parents in need of feeding their families, fewer people. Sorry if it messes with your fragile sensitivities on the preciousness of life but we have nearly 7 billion people on the planet and the number is only going up.

Try abstinence, if that doesn't work for you, use condoms and other protection, if it still doesn't work, embrace abortion. It's the responsible thing to do.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Why the heck do they all have to be extremists?! "Die-hard Cristian"... of course he is. Because normal, modern, intellectual people opposing abortion doesn't make great news. If every pro-choice person in the news was labeled as a "militant progressive" then there would be an equally ridiculous straw man to go off on.

Why can't they just report the news without mentioning the pro-lifer's religious affiliation or the bank robber's ethnicity or even the sexual orientation of a person any time he or she is not a breeder... my word, the media is making stereo type addicts out of all of us.

Btw, the bill in the article is horrid and would not be supported by the average person on either side of the debate.
edit on 27-2-2011 by Cuervo because: Added relevance.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Illegal under "Roe V Wade" 1973 that forbade states from usurping Federal law when it comes to matters pertaining to abortion.

The only way I will ever take a stand to deny a woman an abortion is if she was a willing participant in the act and in the sole event that she is in full control of her capabilities and capacities, ie if she dropped her pants and was penetrated willingly then she must keep the kid but if her pants were ripped off of her against her will she should have every right to get one.

The draconian Nazi policies of the GOP are now coming into view. They need to go away, what's next, denying a woman the right to get a rape kit done or making her finance that?

The Neo Nazi GOP side has finally been exposed and revealed for what it truly is, the insessiant destruction of individual liberty, freedom and rights of women.

Consensual Sex is defined legally as two consenting adults being both in the right frame of mind and not under the influence of narcotics, alcohol or external influence (this includes the placing of a date rape drug or other sedative meant to inhibit someone's intuition) engaging in a sexual encounter.

Some could say and actually walk on that if one partner is inebriated, intoxicated that the individual cannot legally consent to sex.

In matters of forced rape and incest a female should be allowed to have an abortion as she was not a willing participant in the act.

I am a Centrist Leaning Liberal who is Holy Roman Catholic.
edit on 28-2-2011 by TheImmaculateD1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I am a pro-life, Catholic Christian, and Republican/Libertarian. I also agree that "life" begins at conception.

Because of the above I am against the taking of a life, and that means the abortion provider too. To be for "life" and also want to "kill" the abortion provider does not make sense to me. I have educated myself about the nefarious ways these abortion clinics work, and I am totally against them. We can overcome this by other methods then violence.

Yes, I have marched against abortion and written many letters to the politicians who are supposed to be representing me. And, yes, I also pray for the light to be shown against these "health" clinics.

I also support (with money and volunteer help) alternatives to abortions. There are many organizations who will take in pregnant women who cannot take care of themselves at this point. Some of these places will also educate and help the woman get started in a life where she can take care of herself and her child if she should choose to keep him/her, or help her to place her child in a good home.

Most churches do have programs that will provide help to the pregnant woman. But, if the woman does not choose this route, there are also many "social" programs available.

I do not see this as a justifiable homicide solution. This bill is atrocious! At this point in time abortions and abortion clinics are legal, I look forward to the day when this will not be so. I look forward to the day when confused and scared girls and woman will look for a better "choice" than abortion.

Mahree
edit on 2/28/2011 by Mahree because: edit to delete sentence structure

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Mahree

What do you tell your daughter who got raped and knocked up? She must keep the kid and hate the kid? This is where religious fanaticism needs to end and butt out of matters pertaining to abortion.

God as well as The Government Of The Divine will not issue someone the greatest gift they could ever bestow upon humanity (the gift of life) on someone who has a bright and clear future and those that rape are Soldiers of Satan and the Dark Underworld.

Does rape and incest not matter?

What if your family was the victim of a home invasion and tied up you and your spouse and raped your daughter? Would you force her to keep the kid and be reminded daily for the rest of her life of the hour or so of torture she endured?

One master stance cannot apply for every single scenario as all scenarios are different.
edit on 28-2-2011 by TheImmaculateD1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
TheImmaculateD1

The topic of this thread is about the Nebraska bill, LB 232, that would call the killing of the abortion provider, "justifiable homicide".

I have listed my affiliations and my stance on abortion only to show that all who are "pro-life" do not condone the violence against abortion clinics and providers.

My religion or my political party are not the point. Science and biology tell us that the joining of egg and sperm during human intercourse results in a unique and new human life.

After birth we, as humans, are protected by law against being killed. I do believe in the protection of life, innocent life, of the unborn.

In the cases you are speaking about, it would seem to me that both the mother and the resulting baby are innocent. The monsters who did commit these crimes against the innocent should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, not the innocent baby.

Mahree

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mahree
TheImmaculateD1

The topic of this thread is about the Nebraska bill, LB 232, that would call the killing of the abortion provider, "justifiable homicide".

I have listed my affiliations and my stance on abortion only to show that all who are "pro-life" do not condone the violence against abortion clinics and providers.

My religion or my political party are not the point. Science and biology tell us that the joining of egg and sperm during human intercourse results in a unique and new human life.

After birth we, as humans, are protected by law against being killed. I do believe in the protection of life, innocent life, of the unborn.

In the cases you are speaking about, it would seem to me that both the mother and the resulting baby are innocent. The monsters who did commit these crimes against the innocent should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, not the innocent baby.

Mahree

I agree with you to a point and that point is if a female is victimized and not a willing particpant in the act she should not be held to keep a kid that she did not want in the first place nor was she ready for. That would force the child to be hated and serves as a daily reminder of the torment she had to endure which is not right.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   
In related news, Nebraska legislative bill 22 would prevent private health insurance plans sold in Nebraska from covering abortions, except those needed to save a woman’s life. This also excludes rape or incest.

This what the Tea Party wanted though, right? More conservatives in the government. Nearly every state legislature is swamped with super-majority republicans, none of you that voted this past November should be upset about any of this...unless you voted for the loser.

So next year, as long as these senators get there way; if you're raped by your uncle and become pregnant, you'll have to pay for it by yourself. Once you find a doctor to do it, your uncle can kill the doctor without going to prison for murder...maybe rape, if you can prove it.

All in the name of protecting your unborn child for you.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 03:36 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by links234
In related news, Nebraska legislative bill 22 would prevent private health insurance plans sold in Nebraska from covering abortions, except those needed to save a woman’s life. This also excludes rape or incest.

This what the Tea Party wanted though, right? More conservatives in the government. Nearly every state legislature is swamped with super-majority republicans, none of you that voted this past November should be upset about any of this...unless you voted for the loser.

So next year, as long as these senators get there way; if you're raped by your uncle and become pregnant, you'll have to pay for it by yourself. Once you find a doctor to do it, your uncle can kill the doctor without going to prison for murder...maybe rape, if you can prove it.

All in the name of protecting your unborn child for you.

Proof that the GOP does not care about the people as what if their daughter was raped and beaten into unconsciousness and got knocked up by her attacker? Would they wish to have their daughters turn into drug addicts because they were forced to keep a rapists baby?

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Because I just won't let this end, the group behind the recent 'justifiable homicide' bills is the pro-life organization "Americans United for Life".

Revealed: The Group Behind the Bills that Could Legalize Killing Abortion Providers

new topics

top topics

join