It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Darpa developing cheetah-bot designed to chase human prey..also have humanoid bot in the works

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Seriously this is wicked... and scary as hell.... just imagine the possibilities.

Darpa’s Cheetah-Bot Designed to Chase Human Prey

Perhaps you thought the four-legged BigDog robot wasn’t eerily lifelike enough. That’ll change soon. BigDog’s makers are working on a new quadruped that moves faster than any human and is agile enough to “chase and evade.”

Boston Dynamics, maker of the Army’s robotic mule BigDog announced today that Darpa has awarded it a contract to build a much faster and more fearsome animal-like robot, Cheetah.

As the name implies, Cheetah is designed to be a four-legged robot with a flexible spine and articulated head (and potentially a tail) that runs faster than the fastest human. In addition to raw speed, Cheetah’s makers promise that it will have the agility to make tight turns so that it can “zigzag to chase and evade” and be able to stop on a dime.

But this isn't their only project...

Meet Atlas, Cheetah’s humanoid pal. Atlas is supposed to look more or less like the T-800 series of Terminators, minus the head. Its designers say it’ll be able to walk like a human over rough terrain, crawling on its hands and knees when necessary and turning itself sideways to slip through any narrow passages it encounters. Headless, with a torso and two arms, it’s a step up from Boston Dynamics’ other biped, the lower-body-bot Petman.

Once the elite have that... they'll basically have Terminators to mow down protesters. Nice uh?

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Interesting and thanks for posting. It is interesting how determined the human race is, to continue the pursuit building entities which are stronger than it is.

On a side note, I know that you have to quote the article headline exactly, so this is not directed at you. But, I don't see anywhere within the article where it even hints that these robots have been designed to "chase human prey", let alone flat out saying it. I don't understand why they titled it that other than to mislead people. Maybe I missed it...

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
there was a video on youtube called insect robot that had four legs and ran and people was pushing it and it didn't fall over it climbed over rubble it was incredible but it has been removed and the account closed the thing is it looked identical to this but better which makes me think this guy works for them now and it would be more advanced than what there showing us

just hope i don't disappear now too for sharing

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
It scares to see this. I mean could there be a worst time frame considering what happened during the last weeks ? Seeing this makes me belive the truly something is going to happen. When I don't know but that kind of robotic developped by DARPA gives outnumerous possibilities in a military meaning.
is the right way to describe how I feel about this.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
past projects from Boston Dynamics:

what if ...

edit on 2.26.11 by toreishi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
"id like to have a ride on that one daddy!"
"ok son , "

cheetah and son ride off into the sunset at 80km/h reaches the horizon,cheetah bucks son off its back and begins to feed

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by idunno12

Agile enough to "chase and evade"

What exactly do you think they would be chasing? I don't think they're going to put millions of dollars into a robot to help them hunt deer.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Imagine when one of those people that's angry at the world assembles an army of these.......ah the power.

I know they will be on my side so i wont worry.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 04:18 AM
link   
its funny, when i see these videos, it must be my human instinct kicking in; my mind immediately is analyzing weak points and how to counter attack one of these things. how indestructible, not what they can do, is what i want to find out! our ancestors hunted woolly mammoth, elephant, whale, lion, tiger, gorilla well before the iron age, i think we can make short order of these ultimately dumb machines.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by bladdersweat
its funny, when i see these videos, it must be my human instinct kicking in; my mind immediately is analyzing weak points and how to counter attack one of these things. how indestructible, not what they can do, is what i want to find out! our ancestors hunted woolly mammoth, elephant, whale, lion, tiger, gorilla well before the iron age, i think we can make short order of these ultimately dumb machines.
I think how we can use them, not how we can kill them.

But I think both types of thinking are needed eh.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by bladdersweat

Well everything has it's weakness. Altough the problem is is A.I. comes to a point it becomes more intelligent than man, then you can start imagine how screwed we are.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by toreishi

haha i loved watching the big dog on the ice it looks like a deer it made me laugh thank u for making my day

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

they'll have humans soldiers drugged up and programmed to do thier bidding first . Than I'm sure once they get the bugs worked out than they'll lease these things on us

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   
It's not TPTB that worry me, it's when the technological singularity hits and these robots have advanced AI.
Backed up by a swarm of flying nanobots and all linked 'Borg' style, we've got no chance when they decide we're nothing more than surplus carbon ready to be recycled.

top topics

join