It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida bill would make it a felony to take pictures of cows or farms

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Seriously this is some weird stuff, even for Florida!

Photographing cows or other farm scenery could land you in jail under Senate bill

Taking photographs from the roadside of a sunrise over hay bales near the Suwannee River, horses grazing near Ocala or sunset over citrus groves along the Indian River could land you in jail under a Senate bill filed Monday.

SB 1246 by Sen. Jim Norman, R-Tampa, would make it a first-degree felony to photograph a farm without first obtaining written permission from the owner. A farm is defined as any land "cultivated for the purpose of agricultural production, the raising and breeding of domestic animals or the storage of a commodity."

Media law experts say the ban would violate freedoms protected in the U. S. Constitution. But Wilton Simpson, a farmer who lives in Norman's district, said the bill is needed to protect the property rights of farmers and the "intellectual property" involving farm operations.

You can't be freaking serious.... insanity reaches even new levels... I thought it was impossible... but eh, America surprises me again.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Ocala is known for being a horse loving community, but really?
This is stupid.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
An “F1”? that’s the same as murder, rape, and kidnapping , something seems a miss here.

That farmer isn’t the traditional kinda farmer, so yeah it seems a corporation kinda wants people away while they perform the corporations interests.

Im sure Florida has such a thing as a “Speedy Trial” just have a few hundred take photos.
edit on 26-2-2011 by Sippy Cup because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   
What the... Idiocy is becoming the norm over there with them making laws like that... Sounds more like some funny business going on at farms they dont want people finding out about .. Otherwise why the hell make it illegal to photograph farms ? Something stinks ...

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 06:23 AM
link   

12-01071A-11 20111246__
1 A bill to be entitled
2 An act relating to farms; prohibiting a person from
3 entering onto a farm or photographing or video
4 recording a farm without the owner’s written consent;
5 providing a definition; providing penalties; providing
6 an effective date.
8 Be It Enacted by the Legislature of the State of Florida:
10 Section 1. (1) A person who enters onto a farm or other
11 property where legitimate agriculture operations are being
12 conducted without the written consent of the owner, or an
13 authorized representative of the owner, commits a felony of the
14 first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083,
15 or s. 775.084, Florida Statutes.
16 (2) A person who photographs, video records, or otherwise
17 produces images or pictorial records, digital or otherwise, at
18 or of a farm or other property where legitimate agriculture
19 operations are being conducted without the written consent of
20 the owner, or an authorized representative of the owner, commits
21 a felony of the first degree, punishable as provided in s.
22 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084, Florida Statutes.
23 (3) As used in this section, the term “farm” includes any
24 tract of land cultivated for the purpose of agricultural
25 production, the raising and breeding of domestic animals, or the
26 storage of a commodity.
27 Section 2. This act shall take effect July 1, 2011.

www.flsenate.gov...

Looks to me that the person has to be trespassing first in order for this to even go into effect. Makes me think that it's more geared towards PETA nuts and Animal Rights Activists than anything.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Looks to me that the person has to be trespassing first in order for this to even go into effect.

Nope. It says OR.

2 An act relating to farms; prohibiting a person from
3 entering onto a farm or photographing or video
4 recording a farm without the owner’s written consent;

5 providing a definition; providing penalties; providing
6 an effective date.

So it's an act against BOTH, entering onto a farm AND photographing or video recording a farm without the owner's written consent.

So this is indeed a bill making it a felony to record or take pictures of a farm without the written permission of the owner... Even in the article, they said it was about ``intellectual property`` of the techniques of farming... so you could take pictures or videotape how they ``farm`` and ``steal`` their techniques... therefore ``stealing their intellectual property``...

This is pure insanity.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

So farm owners have no property rights? Either Real or Intellectual property rights? Really? Why doesn't the farmer deserve property rights? That seems odd to me.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno

So farm owners have no property rights? Either Real or Intellectual property rights? Really? Why doesn't the farmer deserve property rights? That seems odd to me.

A farmer deserves property rights to the same extent as everyone else.

However, I think the problem is this is completely overkill. 'Farms' as defined by the bill cover about 75% of Florida's land area and as a result this bill would make taking any photo outside a first degree felony in most parts of the state.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by drwizardphd

then never again will i take "pretty" pics of a "horsie" over the fence as in trying to capture the simple beauty
of the animal and/or the mist hovering over the pasture etc..
oh boy.
years ago when mama was alive she or somebody told me they fly over and take pics of peoples property
and can actually change their tax status if they find structures there where no permit was used. off the
subject..was told you can buy a dog house but if you build one you need a permit..huh?..oh and you are
taxed for the ownership of a pet..okay, maybe the regulators should try taking some "chill pills" like the
ones they dish out. next thing 'ya know they will have satellite conferences with some chinese reps who
have interest in your property and they can call the shots to the specs you must follow to live on their
property. ..but i better not give 'em any insane ideas.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Existing thread here:
abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion.
Thank you

-thread closed-

for future reference:
Search ATS

new topics

top topics

join