It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FDA Still Mulling the Approval of Genetically Modified Salmon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
This has been discussed previously in June of last year on ATS, but since then hearings have been held on this issue of GM Salmon, and apparently the idea may still be proceeding forward.

From a recent article:
Web posted Friday, February 25, 2011

"No decision has been announced yet by the Food and Drug Administration following hearings held last September on whether genetically modified, or GM, salmon should be the first animal of its kind approved for human consumption.

But FDA approvals of three other GM foods offer a clue to the agency's thinking. Over the past three years it has approved three GM foods: alfalfa, a breed of corn grown for conversion into ethanol and sugar beets.

Next up could be GM salmon made by Massachusetts-based AquaBounty Technologies. The fish creators splice an anti-freeze gene from an ocean pout into the growth gene of a chinook salmon, and then transplant the combo-gene into the fertilized eggs of an Atlantic salmon. The result is an AquaAdvantage fish that grows up to 30 times faster than normal. The company has awaited approval from the FDA for more than a decade.

If Frankenfish gets the go ahead, American salmon lovers won't know if they are buying the real deal or a retooled imitation. Because GM salmon is categorized as a "veterinary procedure," the FDA requires no labeling to alert consumers that the food had been genetically tweaked."

Source: www.alaskajournal.com...

So if this is approved we are not going to know it one way or the other if it's real salmon or not.....especially since there will be no "labeling" requirements..... sounds kind of "fishy" to me.

Here's the link to the FDA Hearings Notice that were held in September of 2010:
www.fda.gov...

And an article update on the FDA decision which gives us some hope that it may not happen:

abcnews.go.com...

But there is this:

"In conclusion, all of the data and information we reviewed ... really drive us to the conclusion that AquAdvantage salmon is Atlantic salmon, and food from AquAdvantage salmon is as safe as food from other Atlantic salmon," said Kathleen Jones of the FDA's Center for Veterinary Medicine."

which means it's still under consideration, and this issue needs to be watched closely for future
developments.....

So the question is, If this is approved, will you as ATS members continue to buy salmon?
edit on 2/26/2011 by manta78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Marvelous... We already have franken-wheat, and franken-hamburger.. I guess its about time we had franken-fish as well.

By the time this is overwith I am picturing the fish from the Simpsons that swims in the lake by the Nuke plant - 3 eyes and impossible to kill.

The good news though is everytime you cut a piece of fish off, it grows back right away.

Franken-Fish brought to you by Chernobyl Farms.

Its bad enough we mess with genes.. I think we are ignoring the fact that genes have this weird ability to change themsleves through evolution and enviornmental factors. This is a jurassic park waiting to happen, and when it does I look forward to welcoming our new overlords...

Why must we always learn the lesson the hard way?
edit on 26-2-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Here's a video discussion of this topic discussing the pros and cons of this issue on the PBS Newshour:

Another video discussion here:

And here:

edit on 2/27/2011 by manta78 because: (no reason given)

join