It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Franklin D Roosevelt On Public Sector Unions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
FDR is one of the liberal left's most exalted historical figures. That is most of FDR. The liberal left, especially the big union liberal left, will not quote from this letter FDR wrote, for some odd reason.

FDR's warning: Public employee unions a no-no

President Franklin D. Roosevelt, the patron saint of the American labor movement, was a man of strong character. One has to look no further than the heroic way he coped with his crippling polio. This dreadful disease undoubtedly made him the consummate realist.

For example, although he had a lock on labor's vote, he expressed caution about public sector unions. In a little-known letter he wrote to the president of the National Federation of Federal Employees in 1937, Roosevelt reasoned:

"... Meticulous attention should be paid to the special relationships and obligations of public servants to the public itself and to the government. All Government employees should realize that the process of collective bargaining, as usually understood, cannot be transplanted into the public service. It has its distinct and insurmountable limitations ... The very nature and purposes of Government make it impossible for ... officials ... to bind the employer ... The employer is the whole people, who speak by means of laws enacted by their representatives ...

"Particularly, I want to emphasize my conviction that militant tactics have no place in the functions of any organization of government employees. Upon employees in the federal service rests the obligation to serve the whole people ... This obligation is paramount ... A strike of public employees manifests nothing less than an intent ... to prevent or obstruct ... Government ... Such action, looking toward the paralysis of Government ... is unthinkable and intolerable."

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Very interesting. I'm not a fan of FDR but have to agree with him on this point. I've found other sources to this letter and it is legit. Funny thing is, I've seen my friends on facebook who support the protests quote FDR left and right.

Guess I'll have to show them this one.
edit on 26-2-2011 by mayabong because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

This will be cast aside...not relevant. Trust me....

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by ownbestenemy

This will be cast aside...not relevant. Trust me....

I know. Because this does not fit in with today's liberal big government / big labor agenda, it will be totally disregarded.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Why would any government (conservative, liberal) want public sector unions? Is there a plus side if you're the government?
edit on 26-2-2011 by mayabong because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by mayabong

Why would any government (conservative, liberal) want public sector unions? Is there a plus side if you're the government?

No advantage for the government, but for the candidates that kowtow to the unions, votes.
edit on 2/26/11 by Ferris.Bueller.II because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by mayabong

exactly, A Union is one of the only means the employee has of gaining "leverage" in this political environment.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by renegadeloser

But the leverage is not upon an employer, but upon the People...the taxpayer. Should not then the taxpayer have a voice in such collective bargaining?

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   
S&F for you. Excellent find. This may be one of the only things FDR got right. That must've been one of his lucid moments.

/TOA

new topics

top topics

join