reply to post by freethinker123
It's nice to see that people still read this topic
Protests are still disorganized. There's no real leader yet (even Ivan Pernar that wanted to take this place was "removed" by the protesters). Still I
read many forums, facebook and twitter pages and there are few demands that stood out as most repeated ones.
Demands (that must be fulfilled as soon as possible):
- Whole government and "political set" that is ruling this country must leave peacefully
- New elections for parliament and assignment of new government
- Public access to list of all voters and war veterans. So that elections could be transparent because so far they weren't (even dead people voted for
- Maximal number of mandates for parliament should be reduced down to 2. So that new political elite can't be created and that they can't rule for
next few decades.
- Politicians have to care more about country and what's best for it and not about themselves and their parties
- Referendums should be used more often for important decisions (direct democracy!)
- Number of parliament members should be reduced to 70-80. Minorities should be treated equally without privileges
- To eliminate corruption
- Revision of privatization and transformation of country. Commission of foreign specialists should be formed for this task
- Decentralization and forming up to max. 5 economical zones in Croatia (now we have 21
- Stop selling of national resources, goods, banks... ( I would say that we already sold most of it
- Change agreement with church. Citizens shouldn't be obligated to pay taxes that go to Church.
and so on...
These aren't official demands but they are most repeated on internet forums and social networks. Also, sorry for my bad translation. Im not very
familiar with some political and economic terms in English.
There many banners. Few examples:
"We don't need leaders to make decisions. Direct democracy!"
"I love Croatia. NO to EU"
in English: "Go away day after yesterday" - our prime minister Jadranka barely speaks English so people make fun of here
"Thieves go away"
"We have thousands of reasons but one demand. Jaca go away!" - Jaca is nickname for our prime minister
"This is history. # books and classes, they sold our country while kissing the flag!"
"We want to work!"
"HEP, waters, woods, healthcare, education... Against privatization. Against capitalism and EU"
"We want elections!"
"Shepherd Jaca" - while other politicians and EU are shown like her sheep
"Follow your idol Ivo Sanader" - Ivo Sanader is ex prime minister and he is in the prison at the moment
"Go away already"
"Social equality for everyone!"
"Šeks you drunkard!"
"Hebrang = Pinocchio"
"330 000 unemployed, 70 000 working without payment. We had it enough!"
"Hooligans are in parliament!"
And so on. Many of them are rude and insulting for all politicians.
Today about 5,000 - 6,000 people protested in front of biggest banks in Croatia and cathedral! At one moment they made "human chain" and hugged
our national bank to protect it from international bankers and our politicians.
It's interesting to see that protesters realize that banks also stole a lot from us and that church is working in favor of our politicians.
edit on 10/3/11 by dario86 because: grammar