It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SAS 'Blades' rescue 150: Crack helicopter commandos snatch terrified Britons from desert nightmare

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by vermonster

Okay a profit may have been made, but the country we helped rebuild proffited more, unfortunately we live in a world where money makes the world go round, should we next time just sit back and do nothing, I do not agree with half the things this country does or the stuff that is going on in the world today but I fail to see how you think helping rebuild a country for a profit or not is anything but giving aid.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Swanseadog
but I fail to see how you think helping rebuild a country for a profit or not is anything but giving aid.

that would depend on WHO caused the damage.
If the same people charged them to rebuild
were the same ones who created the damage,
then it's not aid .....
it's a money making business at the expense
of other people's lives.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by mydarkpassenger

Lets not fight on here.

SAS, Royal Marines, Seals, Rangers, US Marine Recon - whatever.

I'd feel real damned good seeing any of those guys and girls coming for my ass in a tight situation.

They are the best.

The moment I saw them, I'd know I was safe, no matter what country they were from. The toughest people God ever made protecting you has got to be the best feeling ever. I salute the special forces from all countries. I bet those Britons were happy as hell to see the SAS arrive! Again, way to go UK!!!

To be honest I too would be happy to see them arrive given how isolated from the exit ports and borders these guys where, but I bet arriving in Malta with my arse intact even better

But then again these guy "may" have been the ones training the Libyan forces, which might explain the up front publicity for the event, as I am not not sure either side would want to shoot at incoming Special Forces..

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Woah, lots of opinion from my post, some Brit bashing too, not too surprised really and I nearly got caught up in it, I only posted it as news but people will have their opinions. Gadaffi has been a thorn in many sides for a long time, looks like the thorn is about to be pulled. I have no doubt Cam the man will put some kind of spin on this he would be a fool not too, right or wrong. Skywatcher you are right, they are equal, but didn't Charlie Beckwith get his idea for Delta from the SAS and your teams spend time training with them. Make no doubt about it we are at war just no one has actually declared it, for whatever reason it is happening right now, history teaches us the mistakes we have made pity nobody listens to those teachings anymore.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cobaltic1978
I have viewed the footage of the rescued workers and having taken a look at them, it's certainly good to have
M.I. 6 agents back from the frontline.

Welcome back fellas.

Of course they were MI6.
You can tell just by looking at them? Do you honestly think that operatives would allow their identity to be filmed? You'll be telling us next that you can see the secret handshakes!

Official UK Ministry of Defence video of the rescued oil workers in Malta.

TJ
edit on 27-2-2011 by tommyjo because: Additional info added

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by tommyjo

Does it matter who they were, they were UK citizens, if they worked for MI6 should we leave them behind? Due to the very nature of their jobs it would not be admitted and if they are "spys" I do not think their faces would be shown or so much publicity, in fact I do not think we would hear anything.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Well done bouys of the SAS for getting those brits out of harms way. Also thank you to the American forces for evacuating some British Nationals also.

Be thank full they are rescued, think about the ones who have not been rescued yet from Lybia, especially the Irish Woman I heard on the NEWS Yesterday that was heartbreaking and upsetting to say the least.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   

reply to post by Swanseadog

Way to go SAS!

Talk about some tough hombres, they personify tough.

I wish Obama would get off his butt and do something.
edit on 26-2-2011 by mydarkpassenger because: (no reason given)

Why should Obama do anything? What's going on over there is none of our business. We need to worry about fixing our own problems before trying to help another country to fix their problems.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

A lot of things are none of his business but he seems to make it so.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I understand it was the Royal Marines < not the SAS , Althought the SAS comms (para)
SECTION were used

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I don't see the "big deal" about the rescue... Most countries are doing the same, rescuing their nationals that are in Libya. What make this one so special?

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Swanseadog

No. I'm talking about people jumping to pure conjecture that some of them were MI6 based on what he could see on a TV screen.

Second rescue has been completed.

Royal Air Force airlifts 150 in second Libya rescue

www.bbc.co.uk...

TJ

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by blackcube
I don't see the "big deal" about the rescue... Most countries are doing the same, rescuing their nationals that are in Libya. What make this one so special?

Because the UK on these rescues are not asking Libya for permission to enter its airspace. The charter flights in and out of Tripoli are under the control of the forces of Gadaffi. The only way to get them out of Tripoli is with the permission of the Gadaffi government and anyone who does has to pay substantial bribes.

TJ

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by tommyjo

Deleted repeat: Whoops missed your edit above

edit on 27/2/11 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by thoughtsfull
reply to post by tommyjo

Deleted repeat: Whoops missed your edit above

edit on 27/2/11 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

No problem.

News reporting superficial damage to one of the C-130s from small arms fire. No casualties.

www.bbc.co.uk...

TJ

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by tommyjo

The BBC recently announced that the small arms fire had entered the cockpit and bounced off the pilot’s helmet. The militia group that fired on them mistook the plane for one loyal to Gaddafi and have since apologised.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Soshh

Indeedy... Lucky bastards...

Disaster was narrowly averted when small arms fire entered the cockpit of a RAF C130 Hercules evacuating Britons and foreign nationals from Libya, it has emerged.

One round bounced off the pilot's helmet but he was unscathed during Sunday's rescue of oil workers.

---

The BBC's Frank Gardner confirmed details of the narrow escape during the evacuation of oil workers - 20 of whom were British - from the desert.

He said an insurgent group on the ground which fired at the aircraft had mistaken it for a Gaddafi regime plane. They have since apologised for the incident.

www.bbc.co.uk...

I just love how they have apoolgised. How very cricket of them

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
From the same article I posted above, quite an interesting tid-bit here:

The UK has frozen Col Gaddafi's British-held assets and those of his family, and withdrawn their diplomatic immunity.

Business Secretary Vince Cable has imposed an export ban on Libyan banknotes, which are printed in Britain. The authorities in Tripoli had asked permission to export an estimated £900m worth of currency to Libya, prompting fears the money could be used to fund further repression of anti-government protesters.

We think we're bad for outsourcing? At least we print our own money!

Cripes...

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousFem
Well done bouys of the SAS for getting those brits out of harms way. Also thank you to the American forces for evacuating some British Nationals also.

Be thank full they are rescued, think about the ones who have not been rescued yet from Lybia, especially the Irish Woman I heard on the NEWS Yesterday that was heartbreaking and upsetting to say the least.

Agreed 100%. I don't get why some people have to put down each other's nationality though. I'd be happier than hell to see SAS rescue my American ass, and I bet a Briton would be happy as hell to get rescued by the Seals. The main thing is getting people out of harm's way.

I heard that Irish lady too - it kills me that she's in that situation.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join