It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Picture of the ISS above Orions Belt

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Just a quick-pic I took earlier this evening from my garden in Hull. I was lucky enough to get a break in the cloud at the precise time of the pass, (I suppose God is off the hook this time but he still owes me a cloudless meteor shower) for a 15sec exposure of the ISS carrying Discovery over Orions Belt.

i904.photobucket.com...

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by ironbutterflyrusted
Just a quick-pic I took earlier this evening from my garden in Hull. I was lucky enough to get a break in the cloud at the precise time of the pass, (I suppose God is off the hook this time but he still owes me a cloudless meteor shower) for a 15sec exposure of the ISS carrying Discovery over Orions Belt.

i904.photobucket.com...

That is beautiful ... thank-you so much for sharing
Hope you don't mind I took the liberty of embedding it for you;

Woody

edit on 26-2-2011 by woodwytch because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwytch

Not a problem, glad you like...it`s far from an expert composition, but I was chuffed, I like the way the clouds and stars give a sense of depth.

Thanks for embedding the picture I wasn`t sure how to do that

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
That's awesome.

Let's hope our astronauts make it back safe.

This is Discovery's last flight.

Check out this really detailed link with tons of info about the mission. It's data packed.

STS-133
edit on 26-2-2011 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ironbutterflyrusted

HEY HEY HEY. great image, just thought id mention im from howden ! not far up the road

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
The brave men and women on the Discovery mission are

Alvin Drew, Nicole Stott, Eric Boe, Steven Lindsey, Michael Barratt and Steve Bowen

And the crew of the ISS Expedition 26 are

Skripochka, Kaleri, Kondratyev, Nespoli, Coleman and Kelly

These are people worthy of a kid looking up to.

These are the types of figures that I make look really cool to my kids, rather than media figures, rock stars, or sports stars that everyone is so accustomed to.

My 6yr old wants to be an astronaut
And I promise I never told her to do it. I just told her she could if she wanted, and she liked the idea and ran with it.

She also wants to be a ballerina and a baseball player. As you can see I can't stop a kid from loving physical action, and I don't want to. Astronauts gotta be in shape so I guess it's alright.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by ironbutterflyrusted
reply to post by woodwytch

Not a problem, glad you like...it`s far from an expert composition, but I was chuffed, I like the way the clouds and stars give a sense of depth.

Thanks for embedding the picture I wasn`t sure how to do that

Hey it looks pretty expert to me you do right to be chuffed with the result ... and sorry the embedding is a little off ... I'm not very good at it myself
but at least you can see the important bits.

Brilliant I just gave you a S&F

Woody

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
My mind and emotions have been shuffled and all over the place today.
I don't know what it is but images like this always makes everything okay.
Thanks a million for sharing, you have no idea what you just did for me.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Great picture, and I'm in Carlisle witha Geordie wife. Oh the Suffering

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I got the data for the pass from the`Heavens-Above`site, just enter your co-ordinates and access the maps.

I agree, these people do not get enough credit for their displays of skill and courage, they are ideal role models and a great inspiration...especially in these times. If the masses could understand the enormity of these feats, and feel part of the voyage we are readying to take, the idea of cost impeding progress might be brushed aside...we live in hope.

I managed to see the ISS and the shuttle locked in orbit about 3deg apart at the time of the last mission, there may be a chance to see the shuttle leave the station on approach to earth, will take a look.

thanks.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Can you see Betelgeuse in that pic?

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
*giggles*
I like seeing pictures of the sky taken from other parts of the world! Orion looks upside down

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by psilo simon

Hey there,

As you look at the Orion Constellation in the photograph, Betelgeuse is the top left star (shoulder) ... the one with the slight orange tint to it.

Woody

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwytch

Hey there,

As you look at the Orion Constellation in the photograph, Betelgeuse is the top left star (shoulder) ... the one with the slight orange tint to it.

Woody

If I may add...

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Drunkenparrot

Originally posted by woodwytch

Hey there,

Woody

If I may add...

Thank goodness ... someone with the ability to align my feeble attempt at embedding the OP's brilliant pic

Woody

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
ahh, thanks guys, I thought it was that one but was never sure because it`s referred to as his shoulder but to me it is definitely his ..

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by psilo simon

Interestingly, the word betelgeuse is rooted in arabic and means literally "armpit of the giant".

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Great pic thanks for sharing

im also from Howden!

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 03:17 AM
link   
reply to post by moonpie86

I know right, Who tipped up the saucepan?

This pic is awesome.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Another chance to see this occur again on the 28 Feb.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join