It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Does God like Democracy?

page: 1
1
<<   2 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Democracy as a concept came into the world in Athens a few hundred years before Christ. The model at the time was a revolution.

We skip to Jesus's time, and analysing the bible, the concept of democracy is missing. Jesus talks about leading his people to his Kingdom, people want Jesus as their king [original meaning of the word "Messiah" is an Earthly King]. Even older stories talks of Kings and Queens e.g. King David.

Skip to the Middle Ages where the Popes sidled in with the Kings and Queens, promoting that it was right for the people to have a King/Queen.

I believe that democracy is one of the key corner stones of our modern civilisations and yet no religious text mentions or encourages it. Indeed by communicating to individuals [Jesus, Mohammed] - God is making a hierarchy; not all people are the same in the eyes of God as He has His favourites.

I expect a lot from my God [He is after all omniscient and knows how the future will pan out]. So I can only conclude God does not like Democracy




posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by templar knight
 


Maybe Jesus and those who wrote the Bible respected Democracies wishes of separating Church an State?



posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Think about it logically though.

"If God exists" in the personalized way you describe him, as "liking things", than wouldn't a just and rightful Deity understand that sometimes people will live in a world of complete deception?

And wouldn't they create a direct 1 to 1 connection mechanism so that you could find the truth?

So wouldn't that make your "heart" like a 'hot-line' you could use to figure out what was right and what was wrong?

=====
I personally do not subscribe to personalized "God" theories though, as they seem silly and it sounds a lot more like Aliens to me.

The terminology "God" is actually more accurately defined as a word that describes the entire universe. Infinite, Eternal, Omniscient, Omnipotent, Omnipresent, etc. All things of existence reflect through this all-encompassing word that we can use to describe something that is indescribable.

So "God" likes everything, and hates everything, because God is the manifestation of all things. In most religions, including the Old Testament of the Bible, it clearly states that "God is All and All is God".

These discussions are actually quite common in University Philosophy classes. There are plenty of great lectures available online as well.



posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Also remember that Jesus was crucified because he questioned the authority of human institutions.

He claimed that "The Word" of "God", was higher than any human being or human made institution.

He was the ultimate Anarchist. This is why he was crucified. This is why he is a martyr.

Authority is easily corrupted. The Bible has also been potentially corrupted, with redactions and additions. Translations also allow them to switch things a little bit, whether by accident or on purpose.

But the overall message remains the same despite the twisting that has been attempted by those in power to hide the true meaning of what is conveyed.

That "God" grants "Free Will", which means that no one has the right to control you, not even God himself.

Kings and Governments are a joke, if God himself created you with the right to refuse even God's own commands.

Get it?

edit on 26-2-2011 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by templar knight
 


The bible.. sorry to break this to you, just like santa aint real... god and jesus aint real, its just a story writen by many many diffrent people over time.. and then rewriten, one egg becomes a million birds

But if all living things in the universe had one god.. he is sure having a good time





posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I would certainly hope he doesn't like democracy. Majority rule never has been a form of government that works well. 51% takes away the rights of the other 49%, to paraphrase Mr. Jefferson.



posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
"God" is an Anarchist.

It grants "Free Will".

While at the same time "God" is a Tyrant. It forces Freedom upon you. You have no choice.

It's a paradox. It is and it isn't.
edit on 26-2-2011 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-2-2011 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-2-2011 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by templar knight
 


I think you are confusing forms of government with the leaders of those forms of government. The bible never discusses the concept of a monarchy either. It discusses leaders and leadership.



posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by templar knight
 


The Biblical God doesn't express a preference.
The only demand is that rulers should provide justice, by defending people from unjust behaviour, and dealing with "wrongdoers".
In principle, "there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God"- Romans ch13 v2



posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash
 


You wrote:

["That "God" grants "Free Will", which means that no one has the right to control you, not even God himself."]

How did 'original sin' come around then?



posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified
I would certainly hope he doesn't like democracy. Majority rule never has been a form of government that works well. 51% takes away the rights of the other 49%, to paraphrase Mr. Jefferson.


And you would suggest .....theocracy..... instead?

Or do you have other options?



posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by bogomil["That "God" grants "Free Will", which means that no one has the right to control you, not even God himself."]

How did 'original sin' come around then?



My money is on fabrication

edit on 26-2-2011 by laterallateral because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by bogomil
 

A democratic republic. What America was supposedly founded on. It has its problems too, but when properly instituted and maintained by the people, I think it is an excellent form of government.

Theocracy? Not hardly.



posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by templar knight
 


I always get leery when someone thinks they know whats in the mind of a god. How can the finite know the infinite?



posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I really don't think he/she cares either way...just as long as you worship him/her. After all, most religions are based on faith not political styles.

Now as whether or not they exist is another story.



posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
Also remember that Jesus was crucified because he questioned the authority of human institutions.


No, He was killed for blasphemy. He claimed to be God in the flesh and the Pharisees hated Him for it.


He claimed that "The Word" of "God", was higher than any human being or human made institution.


It is.


He was the ultimate Anarchist. This is why he was crucified. This is why he is a martyr.


Nope, see first response. He was no martyr, His entire destiny was to come to earth and be sacrificed for us.



posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Vandalour
 



The bible.. sorry to break this to you, just like santa aint real...


Sure it's real, I have one right here.



posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified
I would certainly hope he doesn't like democracy. Majority rule never has been a form of government that works well. 51% takes away the rights of the other 49%, to paraphrase Mr. Jefferson.


I also like what Ben Franklin had to say:

"Democracy is a lamb and two wolves voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb."



posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified
reply to post by bogomil
 

A democratic republic. What America was supposedly founded on. It has its problems too, but when properly instituted and maintained by the people, I think it is an excellent form of government.

Theocracy? Not hardly.


Actually, America is a Constitutional Republic. In fact, America is the oldest Constitutional Republic in the world.



posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   
It is to laugh, as Bugs Bunny used to say. America starts wars ostensibly to bring "freedom and de-mah-cracy' to" "regimes" and "failed states" and here I see a plethora of Americans talking about how much they fear and are suspicious of - you got it, democracy!



new topics

top topics



 
1
<<   2 >>

log in

join