It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Metallica: Some Kind of Monster

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2004 @ 11:27 AM
link   
St. Anger's more of an album that was produced in the garage. St.Anger also had bad drumming and its an album were everything went wrong. User Reviews on amazon didn't help St.Anger either, but just go to back up my opinion.

Has anyone seen Some Kind of Monster in theatres and is it worth watching? any live concerts, do you get to see the band members, does it go into band history, provide insight, etc..

[Edited on 18-7-2004 by websurfer]

[Edited on 5-8-2004 by websurfer]

posted on Jul, 17 2004 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Newspaper gave it 4 out of 5 stars. I only go to the theatre 3 or 4 times a year, so I'll wait for the DVD release.

posted on Jul, 17 2004 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I've seen the Some Kind of Monster trailor three times now (along with an ad for evey other doc in the world) before F911.

Three different audiences in three different cites laughed and mocked the Metallica doc ad. If that tells you anything.

I admit I chuckle a bit too when they show "the band fight"...

(sniff) Why are you guys always picking on me??? (sniff)

Do I really need to see the "softer side of Metallica"? Please no.

Though it made me want to rent Spinal Tap again.

posted on Jul, 17 2004 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I didn't actually think there was a softer side to metallica. I always thought of them as jail birds, stuff of that nature. I heard they recorded St. Anger at a penetentiary. "Ride the Lightening" and "Some kind of monster" and its live version were the only good tracks on the album. As for the rest of the songs, the drumming offset and disrupted the rhythm of the songs.

posted on Jul, 17 2004 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by websurfer
I didn't actually think there was a softer side to metallica.

I guess that's what made the doc clips funny (to me). And very Spinal Tap.

Like Kiss without makeup. Cure with out wigs. And Metallica eating salads.

"Do we have any non fat dressing?"

It's just wrong.
But I'm a goof, so don't go by my take.

posted on Jul, 17 2004 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I just watched it. It was 2 and a half hours long, but it was worth every minute. The whole movie was centered on making Lars Ulrich look like the (c) that he is. It was with no coincidence why the drumming wasn't up to par with the rest of the band. It was Lars' way of expressing himself. Favorite part was when Kirk Hammet goes to Ulrich, "I'm used to the drummer keeping the beat." Now that cracked me up, after listening to St.Anger and Some Kind of Monster albums; where the drumming on most of the songs was a nuisance. Also the clip with Ulrich, his father and the psychiatrist also cracked me up.

There was also an audition of some weirdo from a perfect circle for the bassist position. Other auditions were also shown.

I'll definitely be getting the dvd when it comes out. It also addresed other issues from the band as to why Jason Newsted left the band, etc... I would give it 5 stars, only because the drama was entertaining, and you got to see all band members talking throughout the whole documentary.

The documentary also helped the st.anger album. Before it sounded like (c), although it still does, it now has meaning.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 10:15 AM
link   
im going to go see it because im a huge metalllica fan. i know that st. anger wanst that great, but metallica is still around. not like GNR. chirst i hate that ass axle rose.
dude's a jerk! metallica owns all. they need to go back to their roots. like back to the black album and everything before. black album, justice for all, master of puppets, ride the lightning, and kill em all. they need to go back to that. like 8 minute songs filled with 6 or 7 verses and bridges and solos. BRING IT BACK METALLICA!

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I personally enjoy ALL Metallica music... including St. Anger. My little bro has started liking some of the stuff in the Black Album. Only thing i really don't like about the St. Anger, is the first time everyone plays at the same time... I can't understand what the hell there playing. I hear Lars banging something on the drums then hetfield doing a du du du du di ni ni and then a bunch a crap thrown in from the rest of the band. My fav song on there is Sum Kinda Monster. I wanna see the movie, but will probably wait until it's on DVD so I can rent it.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Oh yeah... I'm looking forward to their Video game next summer. hope it's not too bad.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarkHelmet
I personally enjoy ALL Metallica music... including St. Anger. My little bro has started liking some of the stuff in the Black Album. Only thing i really don't like about the St. Anger, is the first time everyone plays at the same time... I can't understand what the hell there playing. I hear Lars banging something on the drums then hetfield doing a du du du du di ni ni and then a bunch a crap thrown in from the rest of the band. My fav song on there is Sum Kinda Monster. I wanna see the movie, but will probably wait until it's on DVD so I can rent it.

IMO Your not missing anything.

[Edited on 5-8-2004 by websurfer]

top topics

join