It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alone with dead mother for four days - gnawed holes in the milk carton

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Alone with dead mother for four days - gnawed holes in the milk carton

www.vg.no

SANDNESSJØEN (VG) Halvannet år gamle Dagfinn var innestengt med sin døde mor i fire døgn. Han overlevde ved å gnage hull på en melkekartong.

and the english translation..
SANDNESSJØEN (AP) One and a half years old Dagfinn was trapped with his dead mother for four days. He survived by gnawing a hole in a milk carton.

(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 26/2/11 by alysha.angel because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
i was in the store today and saw this headline on the front page and felt that it is worthy of ATS.
sadly the news is in norwegian and i had to translate some of it .. but this needed to get out ....
my personal translation skills suck tho..
as for the story itself i was horrified to read it .. as im sure anybody else would be too.

www.vg.no
(visit the link for the full news article)
translate.google.com...|en|

edit on 26/2/11 by alysha.angel because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
It is going to take me a while before I learn Norwegian.

As the OP, perhaps you could elaborate on this dreadful story?

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by CapnCaveman
It is going to take me a while before I learn Norwegian.

As the OP, perhaps you could elaborate on this dreadful story?

all i read so far is the headline ..

let me translate it for you.

translated verison of the storyINCREDIBLE STORY: Here are the first two pages about the dramatic history of Dagfinn, which you can read in Saturday's print edition of VG. Facsimile: VG

- I never found out what happened when she died. That's why I began to search for the story of my life, "says Dagfinn Skjelvan (29) to VG.

- I had to learn to rest.

Dagfinn think he was about 12 years when he learned that the woman he had known that my mom was not his mother anyway. But finding the truth about what happened at the time of his birth mother died, has been shocking.

Found VG-front

Since last autumn it has been possible to apply for cover from "the day you were born" from the VG-records the AP, through an ad service. In January this year, the pieces began falling into place for Dagfinn.

For Dagfinn sought not his own birthday. Instead, he sought the days around the date of his mother's death. He knew the date: The mother, whose name was Marion Skjelvan, died on May 13 February 1983.

On the first page of the VG 21 February 1983, he found a story about a woman who died in Sandnessjøen. The story was special: Along with the woman the police had found a boy of 19 months. The boy had stripped hole on a milk carton, and thus gained in the industry.

- I did not know that I and my mom had lived in Sandnessjøen, but the second vote, "says Dagfinn.

- It was when I decided to write a letter to the editor in VG, and ask to receive the case from that time.

Would shield

Avisutklippene came, and Dagfinn continued to search in other newspapers. The message of the caged boy had gone out on the NTB, and the history of the milk carton kid got a lot of space on this day.

- I asked my older half sister. She confirmed it for me. It was me and my mother as it was written about in the newspapers at the time.

When Dagfinn grew up, would stepmother and his father shielding him the truth. The story of Marion Skjelvan remained in secret.

- I do not blame them, "says Dagfinn.

- They have tried to spare me the drama I experienced. But for me it is important to know the truth.

This week has Dagfinn Skjelvan traveled back in their own history in search of answers. After a drive of 120 mil, he found the man who saved his life.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by alysha.angel

Wow. Poor guy. I wonder how the mother died.

Thanks for the translation. Your Norwegian to English is far, far better than my English to Norwegian.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I find this sad because it could happen anywhere these days. We just don't have that sense of community, when neighbours are alerted if Mrs. Jones doesn't go and get her mail from the mailbox like she always does, or the lights are switched on in someone's house for days.
I live in a Spanish town where people do look out for each other, but I also know that people are so afraid of interfereing that if I died somewhere in my house it'd be a fair while before someone came looking for me.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by syntheticbutterfly
We just don't have that sense of community, when neighbours are alerted if Mrs. Jones doesn't go and get her mail from the mailbox like she always does, or the lights are switched on in someone's house for days.

Quite true... and with the computer age we are all locked in our rooms with only a nick name to identify us. How many people here at ATS that we have talked to are gone? Do we remember them enough to ask "Hey what ever happened to so and so? Rarely.

We don't want people messing in our affairs, but your right... people just don't socialize as they used to. On my street alone I know 5 neighbors well enough to say hello and chat a bit... the rest you never even see them. Used to be people were outside doing things, yard work, projects etc... Now they come home, hit the garage opener and drive in, and you never see em. So if anything happened, you wouldn't even miss them

Sad that

top topics

join