It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South Carolina Lawmakers Arm Citizenry: Bill Allows Any LAW-ABIDING Citizen To Carry Firearms

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Citing the fact that the Second Amendment to the US Constitution doesn't say anything about requiring gun owners to have permits for those weapons, South Carolina lawmakers are set to pass a bill that will do away with the permitting process, allowing any law-abiding citizen to carry a sidearm - openly or concealed - without the need for a permit.

It's called the "South Carolina Law-Abiding Citizens Protection Act," and you can watch this video to learn more. Here's a snippet of the accompanying news article:

COLUMBIA, S.C. - A House subcommittee unanimously passed a bill Thursday that would allow any South Carolinian 21 or older who can legally buy a gun to carry it, without having to get a concealed weapon permit. The bill is called "The South Carolina Law-Abiding Citizens Protection Act."

Subcommittee chairman Rep. Thad Viers, R-Myrtle Beach, says, "We firmly believe that if criminals are going to get guns illegally, we have to even the playing field and allow South Carolina citizens to have a right to defend themselves as well."

The bill would require someone to be a South Carolina resident and a U.S. citizen in order to carry a gun. "We don't want illegal aliens to get the interpretation that they can carry a firearm here," Rep. Viers said during the subcommittee meeting. The bill would also still allow businesses to prohibit concealed weapons, as they can now. It would also be illegal to carry a gun into a bar, although it would be allowed in a restaurant/bar, unless prohibited by management.

SOURCE

I think it's a great idea. IMO, every law-abiding citizen should be able to carry a weapon if they wish, sans permit. That being said, I also think that if you choose to carry, then you should be REQUIRED to undergo a firearm safety training course. The only thing more dangerous than a crook with a gun, is an untrained, frightened/shaking victim or well-meaning bystander with a gun.

I've carried a weapon since I got out of the Corp some 30 years ago. I've pulled it out of its holster exactly once (other than target practice) in all of that time with the intention of using it. I'll share this with you so you will understand why I believe the way I do.

To set the scene, I have to take you back to Detroit in 1985. My wife and I pulled into a Wendy's drive-thru to get something to eat before we set out on the 5 hour trip to Northern Michigan and our summer house for the weekend. I had just pulled up to the cashier window when a van came in the out lane of the parking lot and screeched to a halt. A woman opened up the passenger door and started screaming for help; her boyfriend/husband got out of the driver's seat with a tire iron in his hand and advanced towards her with it held above his head. It didn't take a rocket scientist to quickly understand that he was about to bash this young girl's brains in and didn't care who saw.

I grabbed my .357 from under the seat, got out of the car, and put myself between the man and woman, raising my weapon to point directly at his face from 3 feet away. "You're gonna want to walk away from this brother, while you CAN walk away. Take one more step and I will end you - right here, right now." His lips tightened and he started to take that step when I pulled back the hammer with my thumb, just for emphasis, which stopped him cold. I know it sounds like something from a Dirty Harry movie, but I swear it's true.

The woman ran inside the Wendy's and her scumbag other half got into the van and drove away. I wasn't interested in "arresting" him - I was a DJ FFS - all I wanted to do was save the woman from having her skull caved in. I accomplished that goal. As I turned to get back into my car I saw inside the restaurant, and every single person was on their feet clapping - a standing ovation. To say I was pleased with myself (puffed up is more like it
) is an understatement. It felt GOOD to know that I had just saved a life and that my effort was appreciated.

Anyway, there were no cops around, and even if someone called them from inside the restaurant (in the days before cell phones) they would not have arrived before the woman had been killed. Just think of all of the shooting rampages that could have been stopped cold by ordinary citizens TRAINED to use their firearm. Laws can be made to restrict access to firearms, but please, let's be honest for a second: criminals aren't going to give a hoot in hell about the law - THEY'RE CRIMINALS! Restrictive gun laws only benefit the criminal element by declawing law-abiding citizens.

Leaving out any references to fighting an oppressive regime, which is the main thrust of the 2nd Amendment, I think a well-armed, well-trained citizenry is a good thing. The world is a dangerous place, and even on the streets of America people sometimes need to use deadly force to protect themselves from deadly force; the police won't always be there and, just as in my case in Detroit, we have to rely on ourselves.

edit on 2/26/2011 by OldCorp because: (no reason given)

edit on 2/26/2011 by OldCorp because: Had to fix my broken smiley

edit on 2/26/2011 by OldCorp because: Added Quote

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Good for South Carolina! I'd like to see more states follow suit.

Good job helping that girl, by the way. I'm sure she and her family appreciate it.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
This is so exciting! I'm glad to be in SC, and I'm proud to say I'll support this bill all the way. The criminals already carry the guns, and now I should be able to do the same, without a permit. Thank you for bringing this here!

S+F

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by subject x
Good for South Carolina! I'd like to see more states follow suit.

Good job helping that girl, by the way. I'm sure she and her family appreciate it.

From the article:
"He says Texas, Montana, Vermont and Alaska have no training requirements in order to carry and they've had no problems."

Thanks. As for the girl, once she ran inside I never saw her again. TBCH, she looked like a druggie and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if she died as a result of that lifestyle years ago; or was killed after going back to the guy who was trying to kill her, which is a very good possibility.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Great story. thanks for the insight. I agree with you that everyone should be armed and trained. The scumbags always appear when there are no cops to police the joint. Over here in ireland the cops wont intervene till someone is hurt or dying. If there were more responsible people who were armed then me thinks the scum bags would think twice before hurting someone. Nice to hear from a responsible gun owner.

peace to you

daz

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Arizona has already done the same thing, I would say it is beginning to spread.

Arizona Carry Conceal

Alaska and Vermont have also removed the permit requirement.

edit on 26-2-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Personally I'd love to see the FFL repealed (along with the ATF) and state's reasserting their rights over gun ownership. So long as one state's residents keeps in mind traveling into another state would mean complying with their laws

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
Personally I'd love to see the FFL repealed (along with the ATF) and state's reasserting their rights over gun ownership. So long as one state's residents keeps in mind traveling into another state would mean complying with their laws

Yes, if you want to carry your firearm in another state then you still have to have a Concealed Weapon Permit. South Carolina enjoys reciprocity with all of the bordering states, so if you are licensed here, then your license allows you to carry in those states. Personally, I'd like all 50 states recognize what South Carolina lawmakers have realized: The right to carry a weapon has been there all along in the form of the 2nd Amendment, and the permit process is unconstitutional.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Im glad to hear it and I hope we all get positive feed-back on it. If i had the money right now i would go pick one up myself just for protection, of course who knows whats to come

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
WAY TO GO SOUTH CAROLINA!!!!!! Now i just wish Alabama would pass one like that b/c permits are getting crazy expensive SnF not just for you but S.C. as well

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alucard666
WAY TO GO SOUTH CAROLINA!!!!!! Now i just wish Alabama would pass one like that b/c permits are getting crazy expensive SnF not just for you but S.C. as well

Love the Stars and Bars avatar.

I share your wish, even extending it to all 50 states.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Undoubtedly, there will be those in here that spout off some murder-rate statistics or bring up some horrific story about how some dumbass let his 3 year old get his gun and kill themself. Fortunately, the majority of people realize that murder and accidents are just something that must be dealt with.
I don't see any reason why a law abiding citizen couldn't carry a gun, because any criminal who can get one will carry it themselves, regardless of law. Well, except the fact that there would be those anti-gunners out there finding anyway possible to label you as non-law abiding.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
If more citizens are armed in S.C. wouldn't it be more than likely that crimes would decrease? If I was a criminal I would think twice before going to rob somebody now. Way to go S. C.!!!! I agree more states should follow suit and drop the permit laws.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by lostsock
If more citizens are armed in S.C. wouldn't it be more than likely that crimes would decrease? If I was a criminal I would think twice before going to rob somebody now. Way to go S. C.!!!! I agree more states should follow suit and drop the permit laws.

Back during the Reagan years, two towns - one in Georgia, and the other in Illinois - went in completely opposite directions in their town's policy on gun ownership. What happened next is fascinating:

In March 1982, 25 years ago, the small town of Kennesaw – responding to a handgun ban in Morton Grove, Ill. – unanimously passed an ordinance requiring each head of household to own and maintain a gun. Since then, despite dire predictions of "Wild West" showdowns and increased violence and accidents, not a single resident has been involved in a fatal shooting – as a victim, attacker or defender.

The crime rate plummeted for several years after the passage of the ordinance, with the 2005 per capita crime rate actually significantly lower than it was in 1981, the year before passage of the law.

By comparison, the population of Morton Grove adopted a gun ban for anyone other than police officers, and the city's crime rate immediately increased by 15.7 percent; even though the overall crime rate in Cook County rose only 3 percent. Today, by comparison, the township's crime rate stands at 2,268 per 100,000.

Read more: 25 years murder-free in 'Gun Town USA' www.wnd.com...

The article says this result is counter-intuitive; but it makes perfect sense to me: Crooks are going to think twice about breaking into a house when they know beforehand that there is a 100% chance that the homeowner is packin' heat.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   

...unanimously passed an ordinance requiring each head of household to own and maintain a gun.

And suppose you can't afford a gun, will this county give you one at the public's expense? WND is a well-known right-wing Web site, so I wonder why they seem okay that a county government can make it mandatory every homeowner buy and maintain a gun, yet they vilify "Obamacare" which makes it mandatory everyone buy their own healthcare. It's also not much different than the states that make it mandatory you buy auto insurance, or mandatory you buy flood insurance. Remove the "gun rights" aspect of this, and you'll see it's another body of government making it mandatory you buy something. Did the gun lobby get a kick-back?

I'm all for gun ownership, but an ordnance making it mandatory you own one is as bad as those laws making it mandatory you buy insurance, healthcare or otherwise.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Perhaps you are partly right about mandatory ownership.
However, the STATISTICS still stand!
Any one who does not want to carry or own one should not be legeslated into doing so.
That being said, those who wish to do so have the RIGHT to do so.........
When Florida passed CCW permits, the citizens stoppd more crimes from commission that year than the poice by a handy margine, yet there were few if any shootings.
We are going to have to educate the anti gun lobby, to the fact that adults are capable of dealing with these issues more often than not on their own.without interference from goverment or anti gun nuts.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer

...unanimously passed an ordinance requiring each head of household to own and maintain a gun.

And suppose you can't afford a gun, will this county give you one at the public's expense? WND is a well-known right-wing Web site, so I wonder why they seem okay that a county government can make it mandatory every homeowner buy and maintain a gun, yet they vilify "Obamacare" which makes it mandatory everyone buy their own healthcare. It's also not much different than the states that make it mandatory you buy auto insurance, or mandatory you buy flood insurance. Remove the "gun rights" aspect of this, and you'll see it's another body of government making it mandatory you buy something. Did the gun lobby get a kick-back?

I'm all for gun ownership, but an ordnance making it mandatory you own one is as bad as those laws making it mandatory you buy insurance, healthcare or otherwise.

You are correct of course, that it is wrong to require a person to buy something - anything - to comply with a government mandate; but as stirling pointed out, the stats still stand up to scrutiny. I'm sure if police came to the scene of a break-in and the homeowner wasn't strapped that nothing would happen to him. Still, the criminals didn't know who had guns and who didn't, which is exactly why break-ins, assaults, rapes, and other crimes dropped to nearly nil. They were afraid of getting capped; or running into Antoine Dodson:

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 05:02 AM
link   
good we should all be allowed to carry arms without a permit

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   
I always carry my gun

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
folks the u.s.a. is broke so you better know how to defend yourselfs or well you get the picture

top topics

<<   2 >>

join