It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You Can’t Avoid Genetically Engineered Foods

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   

No matter how hard you try to avoid “food” that nature never intended, the U.S. government has made it almost impossible for its citizens to stay GM-free. Three more genetically engineered crops were approved in the last month alone.

Agribusiness and the seed companies say their products help boost crop production, lower prices at the grocery store and feed the world, particularly in developing countries. The FDA and USDA say the engineered foods they've approved are safe — so safe, they don't even need to be labeled as such — and can't be significantly distinguished from conventional varieties.

Genetically modified crops were introduced to the market in 1996. That year, engineered corn accounted for less than 5% of the total crop. Last year, the USDA estimated that 70% of the nation's corn acreage was planted with herbicide-tolerant corn and 63% had been planted with insect-resistant seeds. Rates for soybeans and cotton are even higher.

(Click here to read the article)

They are clearly putting profit margin above all else. There is no way to sufficiently test the long term effects of GMO's when you consider they only began using them within the last 2 decades. Short term studies have already found alarming results, but it's the long term studys I'm worried about.

A peer reviewed study done earlier this year concluded that three approved GMO's caused organ damage and cancer in labratory animals:

(Click here to read the article)
edit on 26-2-2011 by v1rtu0s0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Which makes it all the more important for everyone to think about growing their own food!

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

This is bad. Have i read it correctly? They're not going to label GM food any more?

So now we'll be force fed this GM stuff?

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Monsanto is the face of evil we can all touch, taste, and see. Is it too late to stop this insanity?

What can we do collectively to put an end to them using us all as test subjects for their frankenfoods?

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by syntheticbutterfly
Which makes it all the more important for everyone to think about growing their own food!

Not as easy as it sounds and the gov. will find a way to get those foods too.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I'm down to crow my own food but I wonder how much of the seeds have been genetically "modified". I think I'm free from these a$$holes and they keep on sucker punching me from behind.

Anyone know of a GM free list of foods that I can look up? Can't seem to find one...

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Growing your own food will not change anything unless u buy clean seeds. Good luck finding them though! Monsanto keeps a good check on those seeds and puts every farmer out of business who tries to clean them. We all need to wake up and get away from this fake ass food. People need to start heading to their local farmer markets and buy food from them. Simple as that.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
It's against the law to grow your own vegatables in any state, you don't have a lience for farming you need zoning and have buy monstato seeds and bio weapons sprays and use the tap water. when will Americans learn to behave and follow and trust your government?

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Not necessarily a bad thing until there is actual proof that these foods are harmful. Crops that are resistant to insects and that produce more food are going to be necessary in order to feed the exponentially growing population. We have to make a choice; genetically engineered crops and livestock, or eugenics and population reduction/control...

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
"We conclude that these data highlight signs of hepatorenal toxicity, possibly due to the new pesticides specific to each GM corn. In addition, unintended direct or indirect metabolic consequences of the genetic modification cannot be excluded."

from op's last link

so the GM isnt the main concern, it is the pesticides.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
as natioanl security goes
you are all at the mercy of 1 company with one crop type
if there was ever a problem with the crop the whole country would be effected
if people were still growing heirloom seeds not all the crop would be lost
this gives one company the ability to harm an entire population i one go
not very smart

these gm foods will be the depopulation tool we all fear

xploder

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by vjr1113
"We conclude that these data highlight signs of hepatorenal toxicity, possibly due to the new pesticides specific to each GM corn. In addition, unintended direct or indirect metabolic consequences of the genetic modification cannot be excluded."

from op's last link

so the GM isnt the main concern, it is the pesticides.

unless we are all prepaired to become GM humans and get genetically modifyed
to be able to consume this food we will be effected

xploder
are you ready to be gm humans?

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by JaxonRoberts

Not necessarily a bad thing until there is actual proof that these foods are harmful. Crops that are resistant to insects and that produce more food are going to be necessary in order to feed the exponentially growing population. We have to make a choice; genetically engineered crops and livestock, or eugenics and population reduction/control...

What in the world are u talking about? I dont recall people eating GM foods back in the renaissance or roman times. And how can u be so quick to say its not unhealthy for us? Anything GM'ed or artificial is obviously bad for us. Have u never been to mcdonalds before? Pretty soon thats how ALL of our food is going to be. Just like the # they give you in school. Getting food for earths population is not difficult. Its the corporations that totally wiped natural foods out just to make money. All we really need is a couple farms in each state and we'd have plenty of food!

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by XPLodER
as natioanl security goes
you are all at the mercy of 1 company with one crop type
if there was ever a problem with the crop the whole country would be effected
if people were still growing heirloom seeds not all the crop would be lost
this gives one company the ability to harm an entire population i one go
not very smart

these gm foods will be the depopulation tool we all fear

xploder

a bit extreme no?

these are scientists using science. no doubt these experiments will be peer reviewed to ensure its safe to eat. ppl read genetic modification and freak out, so what if it's done by a big company? if i had a big company, id do the same, the goal is to feed as many ppl as possible from one plant.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
in France people do destroy fields with GMO's !!!! up there they are smart and courageous, in US they have guns all over their body but they like being screwed up by gangsters like Monsanto or other evil corporations like BP etc etc .... what a difference with the fighters of the first hours in history of USA --- what a pitty really !

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by tpak89

Apparently you haven't a clue what you are talking about, which is ironic considering the first line of you post. What the blue hell do the Renaissance and the Roman Era have to do with today? We currently have over 7 BILLION mouths to feed, and there isn't enough food to feed them all now! Even though there are countries who have more than enough food, if it was all spread out evenly, there would still not be enough to go around. And the population is GROWING not SHRINKING! Now you show me ANY proof that these new genetically engineer crops and livestock are dangerous for human consumption other than you don't understand it, therefore it MUST be dangerous, and I will be more than happy to reconsider my position.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   

And that is why I smoke cigarets
to cut back on GMO's of course

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by CapnCaveman

And these cigarettes are made from genetically engineered tobacco, right?

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
To be quite honest...avoiding GMOs is as easy as eating more meat. In fact, eating more animal products will help you to steer clear of what could possibly be quite damaging to the human body (we really don't know for sure as the bias and poor quality of the database of studies lead to inconclusive data) while providing the body with what it truly needs to operate properly.

Of course, one could argue that the animals, from which we derive animal products, are grossly fed GMO feed. It's true; however, if the animals were fed their natural diet (cattle, for example, should be grass fed), this would not be the case.

Digging around, I've found gathered a small list of the top gm crops in the world...

Soybean: Soybean is a legume that really shouldn't be consumed, or at least it is no way an essential food. Raw soybeans are, in fact, poisonous to humans.

Cotton Seed: Industrial seed oils have contributed heavily to chronic illnesses that inflict Americans as we age. There's really no need to be consuming Cotton Seed. It's mainly used in Crisco shortening...

Potatoes: Tubers aren't inherently "evil" but considering the damage that most Americans have caused to themselves metabolically, starches are far from a necessity.

Sugar Beet/Cane: I think we all of the deleterious effects sugar. We have no place consuming processed sugar in any amounts.

Corn: Maize is a grain that, like sugar, has no business in the human diet.

Rapeseed: Popularly known as Canola oil, rapeseed oil is another of those industrial seed oils that, along with sugar and corn products, are contributing heavily to the epidemic of metabolic dysfunction.

Truth is...most crops around the world using GMOs are producing toxic food stuff. So, whether the aforementioned foods were genetically modified or not, they would still be causing harm.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
You all havn't done much research on this.

"Yippie. Your corporations love you. Monsanto loves you. They want you to grow hair in your mouth and your children not be able to reproduce.
...snip...
A new study done by Russian scientists suggests that Genetically Modified Food may cause long term sterility, that is, sterility in second and third generations..."

ofgoatsandmen.blogspot.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join