It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't Respond to Obvious Trollery, Just Alert It

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by inkyminds
I guess my expectations for "Denying Ignorance" are foolishly high,and I should likely accept that disinformation will always win out on the internet.

Really..? Or maybe it's your inability to cope with reality that validates your watered down assumptions - in terms of yourself, of course...

Masqua and IAM can stroke you all they want, but I'd prefer to say it how it is: Your expectations reek of ignorance - and it appears this site is too much for you...so how 'bout you find somewhere else to bitch and complain...?

edit on 26-2-2011 by facelift because: drunken mmaagrr

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   

reply to post by IAMIAM

Ahh, yes, moral relativity... I tend to be more interested in tangible facts. A Forum where 2+2 does not equal 73. But, as I've said, my expectations are baseless, and I do blame myself.

A Pipe Dream, eh? Well, perhaps they should change it to something more accurate?

I know, I know, don't rock the boat..

I understand your frustrations my friend. I take "Deny Ignorance" to mean pursue the Truth. That is a pursuit that is never ending. No matter how many facts you can accumulate about the Truth, there is one that will elude you till death, and that part of the puzzle is buried with those who find the answer.

So worry about neither rightness nor wrongness, just enjoy the pursuit.

Now I'll get off the soap box for a time, and I hope to see you in one of my threads one day.

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by facelift

I guess my expectations for "Denying Ignorance" are foolishly high,and I should likely accept that disinformation will always win out on the internet.

Really..? Or maybe it's your inability to cope with reality that validates your watered down assumptions - in terms of yourself, of course...

Masqua and IAM can stroke you all they want, but I'd prefer to say it how it is: Your expectations reek of ignorance - and it appears this site is too much for you...so how 'bout you find somewhere else to bitch and complain...?

edit on 26-2-2011 by facelift because: drunken mmaagrr

Thank you for taking the time to illustrate my point so perfectly.

I would follow the advice of the OP, but my experience tells me it is useless, and will only get me classified as a whiner.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by inkyminds

The only person and/or posting standard that you can control on this forum and on any other, is yours. Perhaps concentrating on that and less on what other members are doing would help the frustration level...

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi

The only person and/or posting standard that you can control on this forum and on any other, is yours. Perhaps concentrating on that and less on what other members are doing would help the frustration level...

That's certainly the general consensus.
Thanks for the input.

I wonder though, if using the 'alert' is seen as 'bitchy', then why even have it? Why even have Terms of Service??

Just questions. Obviously I don't know what im talking about.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   

I have a low tolerance for those who use passive-aggressiveness to make a point.... so, guess that's the end of this thread, for me. Hope you figure out where you wish to fit in here and if not, I'm sure there are other places you will find more to your liking. Cheers.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by IAMIAM

reply to post by IAMIAM

Ahh, yes, moral relativity... I tend to be more interested in tangible facts. A Forum where 2+2 does not equal 73. But, as I've said, my expectations are baseless, and I do blame myself.

A Pipe Dream, eh? Well, perhaps they should change it to something more accurate?

I know, I know, don't rock the boat..

I understand your frustrations my friend. I take "Deny Ignorance" to mean pursue the Truth. That is a pursuit that is never ending. No matter how many facts you can accumulate about the Truth, there is one that will elude you till death, and that part of the puzzle is buried with those who find the answer.

Now I'll get off the soap box for a time, and I hope to see you in one of my threads one day.

With Love,

Your Brother [/quote

Would that be your version of the truth, the medias truth or the real truth!? And who decides what the real truth is!? The fact is the truth takes many shapes and varies in its reality depending who is upholding your truth! In a world and a reality built on lies and deception does the truth hold any real significance!? How does my version of reality and what I would deem as truth differ from your understanding of truth?
I wouldn't get rid of that soapbox too quickly as spouting your views from atop that fragile vantage point seems to be your norm. There is no truth! There is no right or wrong... It varies from person to person.. It differs widely depending on your hopes and asperations and what you ultimately see as your goals.
Truth has no place in reality... Reality bites the big one and it does so purely because in most cases the truth hurts... For instance, sit in your armchair for twenty four hours watching Sky News, BBC twenty four hour news and CNN and Fox news and then try and tell me what real and whats unreal, whats truthful and whats utter lies!
The truth is exspendable as long as it helps the elite achieve their goals! Their goals will only be achhieved if they, the elite, persuade us that their aims are honest and truthful...

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by CholmondleyWarner

With Love,

Your Brother

Would that be your version of the truth, the medias truth or the real truth!? And who decides what the real truth is!? The fact is the truth takes many shapes and varies in its reality depending who is upholding your truth! In a world and a reality built on lies and deception does the truth hold any real significance!? How does my version of reality and what I would deem as truth differ from your understanding of truth?
I wouldn't get rid of that soapbox too quickly as spouting your views from atop that fragile vantage point seems to be your norm. There is no truth! There is no right or wrong... It varies from person to person.. It differs widely depending on your hopes and asperations and what you ultimately see as your goals.

Truth has no place in reality... Reality bites the big one and it does so purely because in most cases the truth hurts... For instance, sit in your armchair for twenty four hours watching Sky News, BBC twenty four hour news and CNN and Fox news and then try and tell me what real and whats unreal, whats truthful and whats utter lies!

The truth is exspendable as long as it helps the elite achieve their goals! Their goals will only be achhieved if they, the elite, persuade us that their aims are honest and truthful...

I do not understand what you are saying my friend.

The first portion of your post is a rather lengthy rant about there being no such thing as truth.

Then you state that Truth has no place in reality.

Then truth is expendable by the elite.

Lastly truth hurts.

I cannot figure for the life of me what your truth is about truth, nor how it even pertains to the subject at hand.

I have a thread on "Truth".

That may help you find your own truth about truth. If you are interested, I will gladly discuss it with you there.

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
I would like to add a thought that occurred as I was following the drama of this thread (way better than a reality tv show!).

It isn't trolling when you're making a brutally honest point that you can back up, it is trolling when you can't back it up.

As the point earlier about ATS playing favorites and allowing some but not allowing others... I haven't seen this. What I have seen is what I said above. A brutally honest argument with support that would make people feel stupid, but isn't trolling because it is a well supported statement with sound logical backing. Then the response to them is "Oh yeah, well I think you're stupid" and that gets banned then the poster of the brilliant reply screams that someone is playing favorites and they aren't trolls.

Also if you spin it right forget about killing a troll with kindness as suggested. Or even bothering to be nice to them. If you respond to them at all see it as a free opportunity reiterate and expand upon your point to further improve your "mad debate skillz".

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by IAMIAM

You are willing to discuss the truth with me! How arrogant are you!? Who is to say that your version of the truth is real!? Can we all honestly be sure that there is a truth? How ironic it would be to find that that all of us who search for the truth are wasting our time as it doesn't exist in the first place!
Your sycophantic posts claiming to be with love from my brother, dont butter no parsnips with me.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Finally you add some truth to this thread..

Just questions. Obviously I don't know what im talking about.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   

reply to post by IAMIAM

You are willing to discuss the truth with me! How arrogant are you!? Who is to say that your version of the truth is real!? Can we all honestly be sure that there is a truth? How ironic it would be to find that that all of us who search for the truth are wasting our time as it doesn't exist in the first place!
Your sycophantic posts claiming to be with love from my brother, dont butter no parsnips with me.

I love you too my friend. Thank you for sharing and I hope to see you out in the forums.

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by IAMIAM

I give up... I'm trying to provoke you into debating the nature of reality yet you seem set in your ways and seem unable to comprehend that you may be completely wrong in your version of reality... It is arrogance personified which you bolster by trying to win over people by insisting that you love them and you are their brother....
IAMIAM, there is such a thing as being just too nice! Too nice that it borders on being sickening...
Please, for the sake of my sanity, just accept that you may, just may be wrong!

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   

reply to post by IAMIAM

I love you too my friend. Thank you for sharing and I hope to see you out in the forums.

With Love,

Your Brother

Sorry but the brotherly love posts only go so far..
You really need to answer some questions sometimes..

Truth is private..What I consider truth you may not..
Does that make MY truth less important than yours?
Maybe to you but not to me...
So lets debate the facts instead of our perceived truths...

That's how I'd answer.....

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   

reply to post by IAMIAM

With Love,

Your Brother

This is a perfect example of how not to respond to a Troll. I assume you were both giving examples in order to stay on topic? If I were in my early 20s again and out to do some trolling this would feed me. I would have only pressed and attacked harder. Which Cholmondley didn't do although distinctly off-topic.

In my opinion at this point IAM should have either not replied, or brought it back to topic by explaining to us how he is handling the response to an obvious trolling post.

Which to me is another point: in another thread Cholmondley's post may not have been trolling, in this thread it was because A: It is distinctly off topic; and B: It is set up to incite further off topic debate if not raise ire for no topical reason.

Off topic: I agree with Cholmondley and would love a new thread where we can debate this on topic. If someone makes one U2U me I'll play.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Thanks for the tip, its good to know how to deal with wasters. I have my own way of dealing with them but if I posted it here it would give them too many clues.This has happened in society many times and its a popular way of spoiling something of benefit. What I have discovered is that if we hide our heads deep in the sand, they continue their work. What they are not used to, is people cutting them in their tracks. This can be done but must be artful.
"beware beware for the snare that you lay, will come back and bite you, faster than the pleasure that washes from your eyes."

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Made that mistake once.. Usually I ignore them as its not worth the time or effort to reply to the trolls.. But have noticed several individuals lately who tolerate no view that disagrees with them ( ironically enough their u.s members ) or questions them in any manner. They accuse people falsely of derailing topics or being trolls.. As result if I see threads posted by them or replies within a thread by them I avoid those threads.. I seriously wonder at times how such people manage in the real world if they get so upset over views that differ from theirs online.. Thats life there will always be those who disagree with you or whom you disagree with.. But without open and honest dialogue you will never learn anything new nor will the world change..

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 05:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by rigel4

To be fair here, I think that your style of posting could easily be mistaken for trollery/whiny style of writing.

Just sayin

Just to clarify, are you saying I am a whiny troll, or that people reporting posts are whiny trolls?

Or are you just meta-trolling in a thread to prove my point that off-topic personal attacks derail threads?

I am not trolling at all my friend, I am pointing an observation. The more i read in this thread the more obvious it becomes that contradiction upsets you. It is always dissapointing to see ones self in a negative light, but i believe that is how ones character ultimatley finds the fuel it needs to grow. ATS is a very big forum,filled with the Inteligent to the downright whacked nutjobs.One must be able to take a bit of name calling, a bit of contradiction, or whats the point in being here.
It's all a matter of opinion when dealing with theorising one beliefs. yours is not mine etc........
Trolling is part of all Internet forums, It's how you deal with it that is important, in my opinion not how you report it.
I could point out in this thread where i think you have trolled, but that is just my opinion and I would never dream of
alerting a mod to deal with my Interpretation of a masked insult.
In the end if members don't like what they see and read here they can always vote with their feet/mouse buttons.

Have great day

edit on 27-2-2011 by rigel4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

Dont feed the troll.

Now he is trolling a thread on trolling. How appropriate. This guy has 4-5 post long runs trying to lure someone back in. Dont do it my friend. I lost a post too. Its not worth it.
Yeah, but I did not believe calling someone a shill would be a T&C violation. I was not mean neither did I use foul language. However, it seemed quite obvious that he was acting like one.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

Calling someone a shill IS a personal attack.

16) Behavior: You will not behave in an abusive, libelous, defamatory, hateful, intolerant, bigoted and/or racist manner, and will not harass, threaten, nor attack anyone.

T&C's

Defamatory fits the bill
edit on 27/2/11 by masqua because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join