It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't Respond to Obvious Trollery, Just Alert It

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by fringeofthefringe

I think that's a pretty valid analysis.

It's just frustrating for me to see so many violations of the TOS go unabated, while the motto is 'deny ignorance'.

The repetition of opinions with no facts, it's like a Cable news meme orgy.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776

Originally posted by inkyminds

where, even after being asked for specific evidence to support their arguments, I am dismi
ssed as a "Nazi
On the other hand people have provided direct answers to your questions which you then ignore and claim them to be irrelevant. Breaching the 4th amendment does affect me directly. An attack on freedom is an attack on me directly.
Your refusal to accept direct answers led myself and others to believe you were acting as a shill. For calling a spade a spade, I received a T&C violation. I do take issue with that since you were not attempting any form of honest debate imo.

I totaly agree

Cost me two T&C violations.

I think I may have went too far though. But when someone just refuses to look at what you submit and keeps asking for the evidence you have already given, it gets rather annoying.
There should really be an IQ test or something to join. And an enforceable age limit......

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Quadrivium

That's the thing... I asked for specific references to the specific law in question, and you just cut and paste the '4th amendment'.

That isn't analysis. When someone asks 'how is that specific law unconstitutional?' and the person merely provides a link to the constitution, that isn't informed debate.

You see that, right?
edit on 26-2-2011 by inkyminds because: Spelling

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

Dont feed the troll.

Now he is trolling a thread on trolling. How appropriate. This guy has 4-5 post long runs trying to lure someone back in. Dont do it my friend. I lost a post too. Its not worth it.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
The irony

I think we need a more obvious reminder of the message behind this thread, prahaps a little sign next to the reply box.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by inkyminds

Read the links provided, I am sure you will find the needed information there. Many of us do not have the time to point out the obvious. But this is not the time or place, maybe you should start a thread.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by monkofmimir
The irony

Wow... you're not kidding. The derailment is almost monumental.
I feel like I'm in the middle of a shark feeding frenzy.

I think we need a more obvious reminder of the message behind this thread, prahaps a little sign next to the reply box.

The wonderful part about all this is that I cannot action posts in my own thread or any thread I'm involved in so I just sit back and watch the blood colour the water.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Yes Inky, it reminds me of the recent zombie thread where the middle eastern wrestler is speaking in it, anyway we, people in general, get caught up in the spirit of debating (not a bad thing) but when one side can not cope with the discussion they resort to angry and misguided emotional rants. Thats how some people get their jollys. It takes a little maturity, an open mind and a willingness to respect different opinions on topics that are theoretical or lack concrete proof/evidence or conflicting proof/evidence.
You can always tell a good thread when you read something like "Yes, that is a good point however..." as opposed to "Your an idiot, that was proven years ago by NASA."
I use my 20% flag ratio and never even think of opening a thread with 100 replies and 5 flags.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

The wonderful part about all this is that I cannot action posts in my own thread or any thread I'm involved in so I just sit back and watch the blood colour the water.

Now that's ironic..

Well your thread is proven to be justified..
Obviously some members have little knowledge of T&C..

I suggest your next thread be on "off topic" posts..

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack
reply to post by masqua

Now that's ironic..

Well your thread is proven to be justified..
Obviously some members have little knowledge of T&C..

Good point, BIB

Please refrain from trolling this anti-trolling thread.
Further such posting can and will be removed and/or warned.

Mod Note: Please Stay on Topic

--Off Topic, One Liners and General Back Scratching Posts--
edit on Sat Feb 26 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

Do you really think that might be less contentious than promoting the notion of not replying to a troll?

*Looks in can, sees MANY worms*

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Here is my observation from a non-biased point of view. Please do not stone the messenger.

I find it ironic that on a conspiracy site, a site where people are suspicious of government rule over their lives, that these same people are begging for more government intervention in their lives over something as harmless as typed words.

Where is the love of Freedom?

Now I am not advocating for chaos and mayhem, but there must be a better way of dealing with things than having to call the government in to solve all of your problems. ATS is a micro reflection of your own lives. The people you deal with are no different than those you deal with on a daily bases, if you venture out into public that is.

People rail against the oppressive regime of government in their off line lives, yet beg for it in their online lives. How can anyone claim to be desirous of freedom if they cannot handle people being free?

That was the observation portion. Now here is a suggestion.

Kill em with kindness.

Seriously, if someone starts insulting you or uses words too harsh for your skin, bless them. Thank them for their observations. Say something kind about their point of view. No matter what they come at you with, thank them.

People, these are just words. You give them the power that they have over you. You can decide what ever you want for the meaning of a printed word. Someone calls you a Nazi, thank them for such a high complement. Let them know that you love them for taking the time to respond.

It sounds silly, but I promise you it works, especially if you are genuine about it.

I have written a thread or two that was pure troll bait. I took the heat, I pet the trolls, I made many of them good friends on this forum. Some people just want to test your commitment to your views. Some are strongly against yours. If you build your views on a solid foundation, one of rock, no one can shake your views. So, just roll with it.

If all else fails, just turn the other cheek. Ignore them. I promise you the words won't leap off the screen and bloody your nose if you simply ignore them.

If you perfect these techniques on a discussion forum, I promise you the skills will pay off in the real world. You will become equipped to handle freedom without a nanny state protecting you by monitoring your every move. You might even become strong enough to not need a state at all.

I love you all and I love the job the mods do here, but come on folks, we do not need to beg for any more government in our lives than what we already have, do we?

With Love,

Your Brother

edit on 26-2-2011 by IAMIAM because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Duplicate

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by IAMIAM

I've watched the way you've handled things in a few contentious thread of yours and I have to agree that the strategy you promote has had some interesting effects. It's not such a bad idea and might actually work for a large percentage of members. It has to do with skin thickness and a willingness to avoid getting angry.

You've proved you are capable of that.

If everyone were able to shake off insults like it's water off a ducks back (like you have done incessantly and successfully), that would be a fine thing indeed and staff here would take to knitting while listening to ambient music.

We can dream of mittens and kittens playing with balls of knitting, but I'm afraid I can still hear echoes of screeching Valkyries in the distant air.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by IAMIAM
Here is my observation from a non-biased point of view. Please do not stone the messenger.

I find it ironic that on a conspiracy site, a site where people are suspicious of government rule over their lives, that these same people are begging for more government intervention in their lives over something as harmless as typed words.

Where is the love of Freedom?

Now I am not advocating for chaos and mayhem, but there must be a better way of dealing with things than having to call the government in to solve all of your problems. ATS is a micro reflection of your own lives. The people you deal with are no different than those you deal with on a daily bases, if you venture out into public that is.

Curious. If I read you correctly, you are equating using the established rules to maintain a sense of constructive dialogue to 'embracing tyranny'?

I don't follow.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   

No. He's simply saying that it's better to respond to trolls in a civil and friendly manner than get staff involved.

In a way, it's a good point and, if it turns a troll into a nice friendly member, then it's a win-win situation without anyone getting slammed by staffers.

Dig?

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Curious. If I read you correctly, you are equating using the established rules to maintain a sense of constructive dialogue to 'embracing tyranny'?

I don't follow.

Rules are tyranny. However, we are in the Kingdom of ATS voluntarily. Thus we subject ourselves to the rule of the Kingdom.

What I am saying is let the Kings guard do their job.

In the mean time, I have provided a method for you to deal with people (not trolls, but people) who are borderline cases, those that skim the edges of the law.

It is merely a suggestion that I can assure you will lead to a more enjoyable time in this kingdom and else where.

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I guess my expectations for "Denying Ignorance" are foolishly high,and I should likely accept that disinformation will always win out on the internet.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   

I guess my expectations for "Denying Ignorance" are foolishly high,and I should likely accept that disinformation will always win out on the internet.

Not at all my friend.

Who's ignorance are you denying? You do not have to accept anyone elses point of view, nor do they have to accept yours. Who is right and who is wrong?

Look at the internet as being what it is, an information exchange.

It is not about who is right and who is wrong. It is simply an exchange.

I had a thread about star of david shaped snow flakes.

I saw this event with my own eyes.
I held the snow flakes in my own hands.
I happened upon someone elses video of the event.
I posted it here.

Some swear it is a hoax.

I know it is not a hoax, BUT...

I can never convince another who did not eye witness it for themselves.

Is it worth getting angry over? Not at all...

Even I was taken back by that event, but it did teach me a lesson about the limits of the internet.

All you can ever do is share. It is not and never will be about denying ignorance. That is a pipe dream.

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by IAMIAM

Ahh, yes, moral relativity... I tend to be more interested in tangible facts. A Forum where 2+2 does not equal 73. But, as I've said, my expectations are baseless, and I do blame myself.

A Pipe Dream, eh? Well, perhaps they should change it to something more accurate?

I know, I know, don't rock the boat...

edit on 26-2-2011 by inkyminds because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join