It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't Respond to Obvious Trollery, Just Alert It

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Somebody calls you a moron, idiot or even a disinfo agent and the urge to reach through your monitor is suddenly almost impossible for you to resist.

I know the feeling, believe me... been there many times over the years.

What happens to us after getting attacked like this is a normal human reaction to trollery and the only recourse seemingly available would be to react with outrage in the thread it happened in.

That's a problem, though, because experienced trolls just LOVE to see bruised egos. It makes them happy and they gleefully do their little 'Superior Dance' while gloating at their success at getting your goat. Then they alert YOUR post to the mods and sit back, chortling with delight, waiting for you to get your post removed.

Here's my advice... beat them at their own game and ignore the taunts. If it's obvious what they're pulling and bad enough to get your goat, alert it yourself but don't respond to them at all.

It's sad to see members getting posts removed and also a chore for staffers to track down the troll who made those otherwise happy members flame.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

The 'Bigger man' ( and Woman obviously) walks away......

I think the saying is .............'discretion is the better part of valor''...

I tend to laugh and smile and ignore and that means I can write what I want without the 'need' to really respond with venom............

I tend to do the same when I'm driving........ when someone 'cuts me up' I do NOT get mad and get road rage, I usually think 'what a twit' and smile to myself........ usually in the knowledge that I am driving a better car anyway....

Regards

PDUK
edit on 26-2-2011 by PurpleDog UK because: addition

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Here's a pertinent thread I wrote 5 years ago that speaks to this subject...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Springer...
edit on 2-26-2011 by Springer because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
As a new-ish member, I'd have to say the 'alert' doesn't seem to be very well-enforced.

I have 'alerted' several posts in the past few days that have been in clear violation of the 'manners and decorum', that still remain.

It leaves me with little faith in the 'moderators'.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Good OP

I am starting to learn your way of dealing with trolls. However, I must admit to biting back at times. I just try to bite back without T&C violations... It never bloody works though 'cos it just feeds them as they know they have a 'bite' then.

Originally posted by inkyminds
As a new-ish member, I'd have to say the 'alert' doesn't seem to be very well-enforced.

I have 'alerted' several posts in the past few days that have been in clear violation of the 'manners and decorum', that still remain.

I have to say I have noticed this too. There are some repeat offenders who often seem to get away with T&C violations.

And no way do I think I would make a good moderator if anyone gets any ideas.

edit on 26/2/11 by Pimander because: added reply to inkyminds

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Why doesn't ATS simply ban the trolls??

I see multiple members with thousands of posts ALL in the same forum..
They are obviously here for ONE reason...Trolling....

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack
reply to post by masqua

I see multiple members with thousands of posts ALL in the same forum..
They are obviously here for ONE reason...Trolling....

Yep. The ones calling people "Nazi's" ad "Union Thugs" and spreading incredibly obvious memes.

It would improve ATS ENORMOUSLY to have the just removed,but it is obvious ATS prefers a free-for-all to a well-tended forum.

OR, there are forces within ATS who actually WANT to see those messages get through.

It just seems to me that when a poster keeps saying 2+2=75, ovr and over and over, that perhaps they should go.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pimander

I have to say I have noticed this too. There are some repeat offenders who often seem to get away with T&C violations.

I could name SEVERAL who get away with murder on this website.

The fact they and their posts remains tells me that many 'moderators' are either asleep, or don't enforce the alleged rules with any semblance of consistency.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Snitching is not cool...

And what constitutes "trolling"? Just because it's an opinion you don't agree with? Sounds like cencorship to me.

That's my .02 cents.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by inkyminds

Compared to "other" sites that i frequent , ATS Is heavily moderated and action taken ver very regularly.
Seen with my own eyes.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   

I can only speak for myself, but whenever I'm first to see a complaint, I check it out to see if it's a viable because some are completely unfounded when the Terms and Conditions are taken into account. If it's an obvious transgression of our rules, I make the needed change right away, whether that's a simple edit or more.

Other times, it's not so simple. Much of what we see in complaints are borderline T&C infractions which means that other staffers are called in for their opinion and the consensus then rules for what we do.

It's not a perfect system but, over the years that I've moderated here on ATS, I see us getting much better at responding to alerts.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by FalselyFlagged

Having an opinion is NOT trolling. I guess you know that?

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by FalselyFlagged
Snitching is not cool...

So you'd rather just leave insulting posts or do you insult back?

And what constitutes "trolling"? Just because it's an opinion you don't agree with? Sounds like cencorship to me.

Thta's been addressed in many Mod threads..

That's my .02 cents.

With inflation that's now worth $0.002 cents..

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Much of what we see in complaints are borderline T&C infractions which means that other staffers are called in for their opinion and the consensus then rules for what we do.

That's a real issue..
Many of the members know EXACTLY how far they can push the limits..
IMO it makes them the worst kind of member..

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by FalselyFlagged
Snitching is not cool...

That's my .02 cents.

"Trolling" isn't an opinion you disagree with. It's calling someone an idiot instead of debating like an adult.

Also, 'snitching"? We're not dealing drugs. We're trying to have a forum that is useful and constrictive.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack
reply to post by masqua

There are clueless trolls who get banned regularly and there are moderate trolls who try to stay within the parameters of the Terms and Conditions. The most common trollery of the moderate kind are the ones that use mockery as their favourite form, making snide remarks that don't attack anyone in particular.

Moderate or crafty trolls know the Terms and Conditions by heart and mke a practice of never crossing that line. Not much we can do about that until it becomes obvious to staff that their only reason for being here is to disrupt and drive the debate away from the topics they post in.

Usually such things are handled through U2U's rather than just outright banning.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I think there are some GREAT examples of trolling in this thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

where, even after being asked for specific evidence to support their arguments, I am dismissed as a "Nazi government sock puppet"

Whether you agree with my opinion stated in the thread, i hope one can recognize that the kind of dismissive belittling in that thread is a DETRIMENT to ATS and that whole 'fighting ignorance' thing.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   

I have 'alerted' several posts in the past few days that have been in clear violation of the 'manners and decorum', that still remain

It could be that you are overly sensitive, so your alerts really don't matter...and I doubt that you having little faith in the MODs matters as well.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lunartik
Just remember folks:-

A troll is someone who disagrees with what you post.
A troll will point out your stupidity and bigotry.
Dont worry though. If you have been found lacking upstairs, you can always report them. ITS A TROLL.
THEY MADE ME LOOK STUPID.
oh yuk ughoo, ( in the voice of Pluto) I am stupid.
nevermind. The internetz is here to defend the rights of the mentally retarded.
POST BANNED>

That has got to be the most ridiculous statement I've read in a while and have to admit that it seems like pure trollery of the crafty kind. You know... mocking, etc. I hope you're just helping out by providing an excellent example of trollery because you just called 95% of ATS members retarded.

Disagreeing with a statement is not trolling... it's debate and can be done in a civil manner. Something obviously lacking in the above quote.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join