It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama declares national state of emergency over Libya

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Toy_soldier
Am I the only one that thinks that this is actually an appropriate time for the US to step in?

...The leaders of Libya are literally attacking their own civilians with air-strikes and other military action. This isn't a vague justification with people demanding "proof", it's real and it's happening ...

...My point is, if there was ever a reason to take action against another country, military or otherwise, is this not it?

No your not alone. I think your saying what a majority of people are wondering, regardless of the rather bizarre directions some of the posts on this thread are taking. I doubt direct military action is even being considered, but taking actions helpful to the People of Libya should be in the works if they are not already. I'd like to see NATO prove it exists for the right reasons.

It's like some are taking extreme measures to find a way, any way, to apply their pet conspiracy theory to Libya no matter how weird it is to do so.

There is also some rather insane nonsense being read into the Order Obama signed. I'm no Obama fan-boy but what would have been strange is if Obama had not signed that Order. The primary purpose of the Order is laid out in clear easy to understand language.

I wonder if some posting can read, if they did in fact actually read the Order and letter before responding.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shenon
Lybia exports only about 2% of the Worlds Oil , 95% of that goes to Europe...,neither an US intervention nor the Price of Oil in the Markets is justified (Percentages are estimated,needs clarifications)

Link to Lybias Oil Exports
edit on 26-2-2011 by Shenon because: added link

edit on 26-2-2011 by Shenon because: (no reason given)

If Lybia stops exporting 95% of it's Oil to Europe then the supply side of the equation is diminished while the demand side remains unchanged, Europe still needs it's Oil and will be willing to pay a premium for it. This will increase the price of Oil to offset the decline in supply and everyone will be affected. The USA needs to intervene and put a stop to the killing.
edit on 27-2-2011 by xLogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by xLogic

Yes, and Libyan oil is light and sweet ( like good olive oil ) and commands a high price on the market. Khaddafi has threatened to blow the rigs before he leaves.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ReaPErofSIN

Great job cramming that many conspiracy theories into one response. You should have, could have, found a way to insert George Bush and Global Warming though; so in a sense you dropped the ball on that count.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
British Government has also just revoked Gadaffi (and family) diplomatic status.

Looks like we might be heading for UN peacekeeping force pretty soon if situation doesn't sort itself out.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
This president sure is a bafoon! Its too little too late the civilians there have it almost wrapped up. How many had to die to sign this executive order? Should have been done the first day Gaddafi's snipers declared open season. There were plenty of head shots to proove that was taking place. Side note: What's up with this stupid spell check ? Why is proove underlined? or bafoon? Chrome is LAME!

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by DragonTattooz
We need to declare a national emergency right here in the good ol' USofA and kick these people out of office and eradicate the corporations. It's time for the people of the world to unite against our governments and corporate masters. IT IS TIME!

Hey, Obama! Instead of worrying about what that Lybian nutcase is doing, how about doing something about the current price gouging on oil? How about going after the REAL bad guys? These oil companies are using this as an excuse to make more billions and, I'm sorry, but I have a big problem with that.

I feel the exact same way! You couldnt have said it better! America is focusing on the wrong things. I, personally, admire the people in Lybia. They are doing what we shouldnt done a long time ago, STAND UP TO THEIR GOVERNMENT. Those people finally realized that they were being lied to for years and they finally opened up their eyes to the fact that they're government didnt give a damn about them [clears throat] SOUND FAMILIAR?! we, Americans need to do the same! Truth is too many of us are SLEEP, we need to wake up soon before we wake up one day and its then too late. Yes, gas prices are rising tremendously and the "oil companies" are blaming it on Lybia to make profit!!
That infuriates me!!!! Its all lies. Oil is going up so much because OIL IS RUNNING OUT. It peaked years ago, which means its harder and harder to find. Therefore the price at the pump is KILLING our pockets!! I, personally think Obama pretending he is sympathetic to the people of Lybia is a COVER UP, as OUR government have been and IS doing the same thing to us as Lybia's government did to them. As stated before, only difference is THOSE people got tired of their BULL and decided to do something about it., Question is: Will we, the AMERICAN PEOPLE do the same????

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Nitemare26

because its spelled prove. lol it doesent look right does it. its one of those funny words that are not spelled how you would think. kind of like wednesday. also its bufoon.
edit on 27-2-2011 by conspiracy nut because: added something.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
You know something...

I'm so glad the Terrorist organizations around the world are so inept that they can't even close a ziplock bag, because with Obama and Hilary in office, we're ripe for the pickings...

I'm not saying Bush was good for the United States, but Obama is no better. Being calm cool and collected only shows a lack of backbone, and in this world you can't have a soft side. You've got a world full of corruption and murderers, rapists, and dictators. Countries out of control, and lunatics with armies behind them.

You can't be weak in this area, all that does is show enemies that you really don't have the balls to do anything when it is needed, and the likely hood of any actions will be the absolute last efforts taken.

Empty Sanctions and Empty threats are just that. Worthless and Useless.

The United States soft underbelly has been showing since Obama took office, guess you can't have it both ways.

Either you've got a misguided hit everything president, or a spineless one...

No one said that bad things won't happen and you can't control every outcome, so you might as well take the actions you know are needed.

I don't know why Presidents always try diplomacy with people that are reloading their MACHINE GUNS, haven't they made it clear enough THAT THE TIME FOR TALKING HAS COME TO AN END??

edit on 2/27/2011 by Brainiac because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Cobaltic1978

Why wait till it reaches $5 a gallon?????? We should start making a stand NOW! thats the problem, Americans are so lazy. By the time gas reaches $5 a gallon things will be getting out of control. Why not do something before it gets that bad? C'mon people!! Wake Up!!

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Why didn't he do this when Bahrain was killing peaceful protesters?

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade
Why didn't he do this when Bahrain was killing peaceful protesters?

Obama was briefed by the C.I.A. about what events would likely follow and the possibilities of the events as they are unfolding, he has to know where things can go as a result of the Middle Easts tired way of life...

It's up to him to pick the response he thinks is the right one. This is where "his decisions, based on who he is solely" lie with him.

This is where he has to make the decision "right or wrong", that's the measure.

It's a tricky game because you go down in history with whatever actions you take or FAIL to take...

No one said being President of the Free World would be all nice and comfy.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Brainiac

Bullcrap... This president has made no decisions on his own, nor will he, he is, as his predecessor was, a tool, a figurehead, a puppet for the real powers that be.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Brainiac
You've got a world full of corruption and murderers, rapists, and dictators,
and lunatics with armies behind them.

and the majority of them hold
an office in Washington DC.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by leaualorin

Would u rather him do nothing while thousands of innocents get slaughtered by their own military?

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I'm going to echo what someone earlier said- I don't understand why he felt the need to declare a "National Emergency" in America because of civil unrest in Libya?

Next stop:Martial Law- coming soon to a FEMA Camp near you!!

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by leaualorin

The Libyans want military aid...
Gaddafi is consolidating his final forces. The rebels are pushing to Tripoli and are close to having 2 fully armed and functional military bases with helicopters,tanks and APCs on their side. He has his poison gas ready. Do you honestly think the UNSC is going to sit back and do nothing with the entire world watching?

German,Chinese,US and British forces are already in the area.
German and British special forces have done 2 evacuations of isolated compounds throughout the desert with the permission of the Benghazi "government" with AC-130 support from the USAF.

Yeah it does seem wierd that the CIC has done that...they know something we don't.
US citizens should be vigilant.

edit on 25/11/10 by Raider of Truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skippy1138
I'm going to echo what someone earlier said- I don't understand why he felt the need to declare a "National Emergency" in America because of civil unrest in Libya?

Next stop:Martial Law- coming soon to a FEMA Camp near you!!

Come on, folks. This country has been in a continuous state of National Emergency for a long time. The last one was on 9/11/01 and is still in effect.

That declared state of emergency has continued in full force and effect from 9/11 [throughout the Bush administration] to the present.

In fact, Obama continued it in 2009 and there are several that are still outstanding and have been declared for everything from floods to farm issues to the war on drugs.

Regarding Libya, this is a legal move to allow the U.S. to freeze assets and apply any necessary pressures, up to and including, military action if deemed necessary. Maybe the sky is falling somewhere but it is not in the U.S. over this.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beaux
This country has been in a continuous state of National Emergency for a long time. The last one was on 9/11/01 and is still in effect.

That declared state of emergency has continued in full force and effect from 9/11 [throughout the Bush administration] to the present.

In fact, Obama continued it in 2009 and there are several that are still outstanding and have been declared for everything from floods to farm issues to the war on drugs.

You are correct but-all those have to do with things happening in AMERICA- not in some foreign country like the one he just signed....

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join