It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama declares national state of emergency over Libya

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Nothing has changed this is just window dressing. The United States has been operating in a state of emergency since 1933 and congress renews it every year. That is why they ignore the constitution. All these theatrics are just part of the dog and pony show to make the people think they still have a say in thier supposed representative government.
edit on 26-2-2011 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
How can you declare a National state of emergency when we already have one?
The same one that has been renewed every year since 9/13/2001.

We liberated Libya back in 1943 from the Germans/italians.
Now we gotta do it again?

OooOOooh the redundancy of it all!

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ryanssuperman
So...could somone answer this question:

Did he declare a state of emergency in the US? Or is this some sort of term that can be used externally aswell?

If he declared this state in the US....why? Whats the point? Or agenda?

To answer your question... he did sign an executive order declaring national state of emergency. The reason that they're saying is so they can freeze Gadafi's assets in the U.S.

thecable.foreignpolicy.com...

The executive order itself condemns the "wanton violence against unarmed associates" perpetrated by Qaddafi, his sons, his government, and his close associates. Effective immediately, all U.S.-based assets of Qaddafi and his four sons are to be frozen and transactions intended to move those assets are prohibited. The order allows the measures to be expanded to include any member of the Libyan government who are determined to be complicit in Qaddafi's brutality.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Apparently that status gets reinvoked with each new purpose...

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Now we gotta do it again?

Well the puppet we put in place there started dropping acid and went off the deep end..
I'm really surprised we hadn't offed the guy before.. I suppose for all his faults he did keep the country quiet, and that's what we prize most in our ME Puppets.

Gaddahfi (I love how every one including news stations spell it differently.. Irish Times spells it the best "Gadafy" lol)
Will have plenty of good memories to make us smile.. not just the sadness of murdering his own people.. even besides his outfits which are always a good laugh..

I'll remember him for:
In 2007 he arrived in Paris, France, with 5 planes carrying a large tent, a live camel (for unknown reasons) and 30 military trained female bodyguards who were.. supposedly.. virgins.. He was supposed to be riding his camel when he met President Sarkozy but well.. he didn't.
His son made an even better impression in 2005 when he punched his pregnant girlfriend in Paris. Good people.
www.dailymail.co.uk...< br />
Even funnier:
In 2006 while in Abuja, Nigeria, there was an incident involving those virgin bodyguards..

Nigerian officials say Col Gaddafi was accompanied by more than 200 heavily armed Libyan bodyguards. When security officers refused to allow them to keep their weapons, an argument ensued and Col Gaddafi stormed off. Only when Nigerian President Olusegun Obasanjo intervened did the bodyguards agree to hand in their weapons. Foreign ministers from Africa and Latin America have been preparing for the summit which gets under way on Thursday. The size of Libya’s delegation was not a problem, it seems, just the sheer amount of weapons and ammunition they carried.

Oh but my favorite part..

As arguments raged, the Libyan leader angrily set off on foot, intending to walk some 40km (25 miles) to the capital, before he was persuaded to return to the airport lounge.

sweetness-light.com...

Yes.. all 200 guards were female virgins trained to kill.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Or his "Voluptuous" Ukrainian nurse .. who apparently fled the country today This was actually revealed by Wikileaks.

We really have no idea what this guys been up to until the late 90's when he started contact with the West again.. before he isolated himself.. but apparently, according to a book he wrote (he's an author too!) he claims to hate cities with a passion and that he sleeps in a tent, in the desert.

He also more recently declared Jihad against.. Switzerland
www.guardian.co.uk...

This was exactly a year ago. Apparently his son being arrested for severely beating two hotel workers in Switzerland was to much.

I can't even imagine living in a country knowing that guys leading the nation......

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Wrong thread...OOPS
edit on 26-2-2011 by Acid_Burn2009 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   

That's exactly what I was wondering!

The Military/Security Industrial Complex must be laughing all the way to the bank.

But of course this is about oil.
And I swear I remember reading something about how the POTUS has the emergency capability to say when we can drive and not drive. Like no Sundays or work only, or something like that. Does anyone know what I'm referring to?

Whatever, this is NOT change.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
It sounds like it not only freezes any Libyan Assets but also states that no one is allowed to "send" support to Libya, so families would lose out if they support anyone back home I would think; any activists/actors or whomever could be dealt with if they support anything Libyan. To what extent this can carry is beyond me, one can only imagine.

Why is it that Gadhafi is referred to as "Colonel"? I would think that with his great ego that nothing short of General would do. Colonel seems so lower ranked in this situation.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Am I the only one that thinks that this is actually an appropriate time for the US to step in?

I read in another reply that this is like Iraq all over again, but I disagree. The basis for the Iraq war was to search for WMD's, the invasion of Afghanistan was justified by saying that they were going after the terrorists that perpetrated 9/11. These reasons are sketchy at best (No proof of WMD's, a LOT of people believe the terrorists that perpetrated 9/11 are actually in the White House) and are still heavily debated today.

The leaders of Libya are literally attacking their own civilians with air-strikes and other military action. This isn't a vague justification with people demanding "proof", it's real and it's happening and you can watch clips of it happening on the internet. Hell, there's probably a webcam set up somewhere so you can watch it live!

My point is, if there was ever a reason to take action against another country, military or otherwise, is this not it? I know that personally, if the leaders of my country were attacking me and my family with our countries military and we were all but powerless to stop it, I would beg and plead for international intervention to stop them.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

(b) Any conspiracy formed to violate any of the prohibitions set forth in this order is prohibited.

(snip)

Sec. 9. For the purposes of this order:

(a) the term "person" means an individual or entity;

(b) the term "entity" means a partnership, association, trust, joint venture, corporation, group, subgroup, or other organization; and

c) the term "United States person" means any United States citizen or national, permanent resident alien, entity organized under the laws of the United States or any jurisdiction within the United States (including foreign branches), or any person in the United States.

Interesting, no?

Add this in for good measure:

www.cbsnews.com...

HomeWorld .February 26, 2011
Obama: Qaddafi lost legitimacy, must leave "now"
In marked turn from Egypt diplomacy, calls for immediate departure of Libya's embattled ruler, once a U.S. ally

CBS/AP) WASHINGTON - For the Obama administration, it is finally now official: Muammar Qaddafi's time has come.

In a private phone call with German Chancellor Angela Merkel, President Barack Obama said the embattled Libyan leader must leave the country now because he has lost the legitimacy of his rule.

Mr. Obama made the comments to Merkel Saturday as they discussed the violence in Libya. The White House says President Obama told Merkel that when a leader's only means of holding power is to use violence against his people, then he has lost the legitimacy to rule and needs to do what's right for his country by "leaving now."

He hemmed, he hawed, now he has finally blown his horn.

Hope n' Change.

Yeah, so...

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by leaualorin
this GADAFi surely has weapons of mass destruction ...

Another reason being floated for taking military action in Libya is the "weapons of mass destruction" that Gadhafi supposedly has.

A recent article in the Wall Street Journal went on and on about how concerned the U.S. government is about the "weapons of mass destruction" that are still under Gadhafi's control....

The government of Col. Moammar Gadhafi hasn't destroyed significant stockpiles of mustard gas and other chemical-weapons agents, raising fears in Washington about what could happen to them—and whether they may be used—as Libya slides further into chaos.

The Wall Street Journal article also stated that U.S. officials believe that Gadhafi possesses "1,000 metric tons of uranium yellowcake" which they believe are a serious threat to the international community.

Doesn't that sound exactly like something we have all been told before?

Link

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Why doesn't he take care of $$%$ at home first!

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaceJaxson

why would he declare a national emergency here, when Libya is over there? .... is there some Libyan sleeper cell we should know about? Is he worried about Libyans here? just wondering. makes no sense.

Oh it makes PLENTY of sense. It is part of the game of "let's get the USA into another World War"

Napolitano sets stage for False Flag Terrorist Attack

I document stage three in that thread.

They are preparing a False flag to scare the public into accepting an even nastier and permanent version of the Patriot Act or as a start of WWIII. If you have any doubts that the US government would allow its own people to be killed, here are the historical facts showing that they have done so before and in exactly the same way to justify WAR. Days of Infamy and The War on Terrorism

The formula, as shown in those articles is:
The first stage is to aggravate, literally to goad the "enemy" until they had no choice but to strike back (sound familiar?) US Diplomat Guilty of Murder: Pakistan Police Report and the update Us Caught in Big Lie and now you can add this thread to the pile.

This snippet from that news story leads us to the second stage of the tried and true formula: The second prong of the strategy is to insulate.

Furthermore, the US government, according to the Guardian, induced major US news organizations to hide what they knew about Davis's real role from the American public. The paper reported that several US news organizations had also learned on their own that Davis is a spy, but then voluntarily withhheld the information from the American public "at the request of the Obama administration," which preferred to stick to the fictional story line that Pakistan is holding an American "diplomat" in "violation of the Vienna Convention" on diplomatic immunity.

The second prong of the strategy is to insulate. Keep the victims (that's us) from getting the information needed to protect themselves. Dir. of Nat. Intel lies to Congress or adopts politically correct stance on Muslim Brotherhood and Arizona Governor Jan Brewer asks Obama's Admin. for help and is told the borders are more secure than ever before Meanwhile out of the other side of her mouth Napolitano is saying to Congress The terrorist threat to the U.S. homeland has continued to "evolve" and may now "be at its most heightened state" since the September 11, 2001, terror attacks pointing the finger at "homegrown terrorists" that is Americans. Gee, I wonder why they are stirring up Union and Teaparty protests.

The third and final stage is to Facilitate the attack: make it easy by offering no opposition. Napolitano sets stage for False Flag Terrorist Attack

I outline how Homeland UNsecurity removed hundreds of border patrol agents from the Mexican Border, derailed the border fence authorized by Congress in 2006 and then cancels the Border Fence Project in January of this year. Ms. Napolitano justified to lawmakers a 30 percent budget reduction for U.S. Customs and Border Protection. (March 17, 2010) Finally in June and July of this year three of the four border states are losing their National Guard troops Worse while Minuteman civilian patrols are keeping an eye out for illegal border crossers, the U.S. Border Patrol is keeping an eye out for Minutemen -- and telling the CORRUPT Mexican government where they are!

Here is the reality on the border:

Administration Will Cut Border Patrol Deployed on U.S-Mexico Border - September 24, 2009
Even though the Border Patrol now reports that almost 1,300 miles of the U.S.-Mexico border is not under effective control, and the Department of Justice says that vast stretches of the border are “easily breached,” and the Government Accountability Office has revealed that three persons “linked to terrorism” and 530 aliens from “special interest countries” were intercepted at Border Patrol checkpoints last year, the administration is nonetheless now planning to decrease the number of Border Patrol agents deployed on the U.S.-Mexico border....

....the Obama administration on May 7 said the Border Patrol “plans to move several hundred Agents from the Southwest Border...

Opening the borders wide to "invite attack" as the government did at Pearl Harbor in 1941, is the only explanation for this insanity.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by mayabong
Perfect place to put some bases to make sure Egypt stays in line yeah? I'm sure thats what they're thinking.

Funny , i was tinking the exact same thing, but i thought i might be being overly paranoid and far fetched.
Thanks for the clarification.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

I want to see something like a direct threat to the Libyan military. Throw an Egyptian fighter in to put an Arab face on the operation, but anything to stop the wholesale deaths of those civilians at the hand of the Little Colonel's forces and mercenaries.

Air strikes and a no-fly zone for military aircraft.

Resolutions and sanctions don't do squat when people are dieing in the streets at the hand of their own government.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
First off I would like to say what business do we the United States have in deciding what is best for another Sovereign Nation? I grow sick and tired of the arrogance of Obama and the US in general as of late. What right does Obama have to say that that Gaddafi is not a fit leader? We suddenly care about the lives of the men and women in that country? They have been under the Dictatorship of Muammar Gaddafi for 42 years and we never had squat to say; Furthermore we have been funding them as of late and they have been supporting the US in the UN. So something is definitely rotten in Denmark on that one. I mean honestly I do not feel that Obama is fit to run this country so I guess I should write a letter the Prime Minister of Britain, so he can declare Obama unfit to lead and then I guess Obama will have to go too. I am starting to think there is a US conspiracy to force out the leaders they don't like in the Middle East by whatever means necessary.

I would also like to point out that its funny how America and the rest of the world is all up in arms over this yet no one seems to care that much about places like Sudan, Chad and other African Countries that are still fighting?

Secondly I am not sure where this news is coming from. I did some research on my own and quite honestly aside from the LA Times I do not see anything from the Mainstream media on a National State of Emergency being declared. I even looked it up on the White House's official page and all I found was this.

The President has just signed an Executive Order regarding Libya Sanctions. In addition, he sent a letter to Congress on the matter and issued the following statement: The Libyan government’s continued violation of human rights, brutalization of its people, and outrageous threats have rightly drawn the strong and broad condemnation of the international community. By any measure, Muammar el-Qaddafi’s government has violated international norms and common decency and must be held accountable. These sanctions therefore target the Qaddafi government, while protecting the assets that belong to the people of Libya. Going forward, the United States will continue to closely coordinate our actions with the international community, including our friends and allies, and the United Nations. We will stand steadfastly with the Libyan people in their demand for universal rights, and a government that is responsive to their aspirations. Their human dignity cannot be denied. Press Secretary Jay Carney also discussed the sanctions and broader context earlier in the day.

Source

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Now that Gaddafi, his Family and remaining Administration have nothing left,they very well may use everything at their disposal...I fear they are gonna blow up Lybia with WMD´s...and if Gaddafi is even more insane (if thats even possible),blow up other nearby Nations or Oil-Fields...

This Psychopath is now more Dangerous than ever

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Toy_soldier

Notice how no one is going to address this exact question............

If they do it will betray their political stance.......and they cant toot their "Its all about oil" horns.....

I for one agree with you

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Toy_soldier

It's a civil war.. it's none of our business, it's none of the UN's business, it's no body's business but Libya.

If Libya want's Democracy, they must fight for it. They must earn it. Why? .. Because when you GIVE someone Democracy, it means nothing and it is lost... hence Afghanistan, Iraq.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Muammar Qadhafi? What happened to Muammar Gaddafi?

This reminds me of the whole bin Laden, Osama vs. Usama, thing.

Do they even know who the "bad guys" are? Why all the mixing-up/changing of names?
edit on 2/26/11 by redmage because: (no reason given)

new topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join