It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Government yard sale to bring down debt

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
With the government more than $14 trillion in debt and the Government Accountability Office (GAO) warning that the longer Congress waits to raise the debt ceiling the harder it will be for the Treasury Department to keep the government operating, some have suggested Congress take a note from Sanford and Son and start selling the junk it already owns.
dailycaller.com...

I kind of like this idea if it's implemented with the proper controls. It'd be even better than estimated, because they'd get the money from the sale AND taxes from the sale as well as continued property taxes going forward. I think that assets like national parks and wildlife preserves should be exempted from sale though. Those should belong to everyone via the government.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
If Egypt wants to buy a new Constitution why don't we sell them ours? We're not using it anymore.
I would like to buy a war ship. Not to big

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
They have to make sure they get a proper license and do the paper work or they will face millions in fines for violation of yard sale laws

PS
hey Surf

best line I saw today
edit on 26-2-2011 by Danbones because: PS

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Surfrat
If Egypt wants to buy a new Constitution why don't we sell them ours? We're not using it anymore.
I propose a trade with the Egyptians. We license them to use our Constitution, and they give some of their backbone to our people.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Surfrat & sonofliberty1776 to classic qoutes there well said

just so long as the government doesn't start selling its people

I just reread what I wrote... they started selling out they're citizen a long time ago
edit on 26-2-2011 by monkofmimir because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I just hope they remove all of there signs,when
there finished.hate seeing those signs all over the place.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776

I propose a trade with the Egyptians. We license them to use our Constitution, and they give some of their backbone to our people.

i dont really need anymore backbone but i will take a war ship, tank, and one of those sweet humvies with the 50 cal on top

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Good one!
And while we're at it why don't we sell our two party political system, it's not working anymore.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
No doubt they'll mark everything way too high.

The government has absolutely no clue what things are worth. These people buy toilet seats for $500 a pop. They'll just try to sell those toilet seats at $200 and think it's a great bargain.

For the past 5 or so years home prices have been falling trying to return to a real value. Yet sellers who paid too high to begin with are largely refusing to lower their asking prices. Homes are sitting on the market for years at unnaturally high prices because people are still living in the inflated fantasy land of artificial value.

Government has always lived in that fantasy land. For the most part government is responsible for creating that fantasy land.

Good luck to them but it won't work at all. Namely because they don't really want it to work. Anything the might actually gain is already spent on some garbage. Nobody is trying to pay any bills or lower the debt. They're just trying to make it look okay so they can keep accruing debt like a broke ass deadbeat writing bad checks around town. It'll work for a bit and then every shop in town will catch on.

And of course the idiot population will do it's part to prevent any correction by protesting reality every chance they get.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Surfrat

all joking aside,, this IS a GREAT idea!!!

land,, vehicles ,, junk at all kinds of GSA offices all over the country,, got one right near me,,

they have auctions every now and again,, but to do it with a large scale "dumping" would be really fun,,

right near me they have NAVY hovercraft's,,, "camper"sized ,, just sitting out in the weather

i want one.really bad..LOL

edit on 2/26/11 by darrman because: spellinglish

edit on 2/26/11 by darrman because: added 2 cents

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
The only problem with the idea of selling off all those empty buildings the gov owns is bureaucracy, the same bureaucracy that somehow ended up holding the keys to these empty buildings is the same bureaucracy that would have to form a commission, spend 200 million and 3 years studying the problem, spend a month debating it in congress, finally agree on it, then have the senate reject it a month later

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Alucard666

I suspect that most here have plenty of backbone even if we disagree with their political stances. I mean that the backbone should be given to the general population.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776
reply to post by Alucard666

I suspect that most here have plenty of backbone even if we disagree with their political stances. I mean that the backbone should be given to the general population.

Ok now i see what you were saying but i still want a humvie

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
If the Federal Government would just start selling off all the publicly owned expanses of land at fair market value we could wipe out the debt. They have no business owning (in some states 70% or more of all land available) land that they don't use for a legitimate purpose anyway.

Imagine what a person could do with all that land - mine it, farm it, harvest wood etc. All to the benefit of the free market...

On a side note government auctions (at least the ones I've participated in) from DOD and such are geared to wholesalers by putting the items into impossibly huge lots that basically hedge out an individual. However, I have noticed the items go for pennies on the dollar if you had a way to sell the excess I think some real opportunities exist.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Golf66

While I agree with you 100%, the liberal tree huggers would never allow private ownership much less development of said lands. Who knows some insect might get hurt.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Sell the social security lockbox... Awwwwwwwwww sh** it's been robbed already.
Why don't we commit to a simple trade, my social security for a deed in perpetuity, yes, forever for my family unless they choose to sell, 20, 50, or even 100 acres? That reduces our nations unfunded liabilities for free.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 04:15 AM
link   
I'll offer 4 chickens, a rooster, 12 coconuts and 2 bunches of bananas for one of the old navy PBRs (patrol boat river) .. Sorry not got cash I barter for stuff over here..

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Isn't this the idea of a recession, sell off all publicly owned property and land for knock off prices, so the private sector can buy up more of the means of production. Maybe I've misread the situation?

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 05:20 AM
link   
California did something similar, not sure how well it went - www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 05:23 AM
link   
I love going to yard sales. Maybe they'll throw some cool antiques into to mix.

2nd line

top topics

join