It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do Liberals Hate freedom of speech?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox
reply to post by CosmicCitizen

Unfortunately, history shows that smaller governments are much more prone to repression; after all, the smaller a government is, the more powerful Men With Guns become in that government, because it's never the military or police that are shrunk.

When you ask for smaller government, you are asking for military dictatorship through violence; when you ask for big government, what you're asking for is a stagnated and ineffective government.

What people really want is smart government, one that listens to the people and flows with public wishes.

No, what people really want is limited government, one that stays out of our lives and lets the states be sovereign. You know, like the law (the Constitution) says they are supposed to.

/TOA

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   
It's a psychological tactic to call the truth offensive or hate-filled and so they have censors on speech for the "greater good" i.e. "to not offend anyone" i.e. "to offend the truth-teller but make him look like the bad guy so it's okay."

The only legitimate restriction on free speech would be the threat of physical force against someone, which of course has been monopolized by the state.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

I think you are confusing the ideas of "tact" and political corectness. While I would not make a dead baby joke at a baby shower, that has nothing to do with the conversation.

As to not being able to find Christmas cookies in February, I wouldn't know. I do not buy Christmas cookies unless it is Christmas-time. Perhaps you assumed I look for them in February because it suits your position of me being lied to, and that the real reason I cannot find Christmas cookies is not because they aren't making them, but it is because they're only baked during Dec.? Sadly, that is not true. 5 bakeries in my neighborhood no longer make them (during Christmas)
Whatever the reason is.........it's very apparent that Christmas is vastly different than it used to be even a decade ago. While it has largely been an economic holiday in the US, it was at the very least available to those who wished to celebrate it with cookies and other ornamental baked goods. Can I live without the cookies? Sure, but that's not the point. My point is that political correctness has made it offensive for Christians to eat cookies during their most holy day. I have a problem with this. I did not state that there is a war on Christmas perpetrated by the Jews or Muslims. I wouldn't say that and I don't believe that. That said though; if it isn't political correctness that brings forth "happy hollidays" rather than Merry Christmas, then what is the reason? Baking Christmas cookies has never been considered rude before, so why now? Thx.
edit on 27-2-2011 by spinalremain because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by 88solarman88

Liberals hate freedom of speech eh?

Where are you getting your information solarman?

Wildly inaccurate.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox
reply to post by CosmicCitizen

Unfortunately, history shows that smaller governments are much more prone to repression; after all, the smaller a government is, the more powerful Men With Guns become in that government, because it's never the military or police that are shrunk.

When you ask for smaller government, you are asking for military dictatorship through violence; when you ask for big government, what you're asking for is a stagnated and ineffective government.

What people really want is smart government, one that listens to the people and flows with public wishes.

No, what people really want is limited government, one that stays out of our lives and lets the states be sovereign. You know, like the law (the Constitution) says they are supposed to.

/TOA

What people want....hmmmm?
This is sort of difficult to determine.
Do you go with the majority after careful calculating and a full vote including EVERYONE, even the disenfranchised....
or do you go with the most visible group - making the most noise?

What we have now is a government caving into people making the most noise.
They are not smarter, wiser or better informed. They are only LOUDER.

Sick of being told what it is I supposedly want.

I want a high speed rail and I don't care what it costs.
In FL, Rick Scott is dashing all hopes of that.
And yet, I don't remember anyone asking me.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicCitizen
Because Liberalism doesnt mean freedom like it originally did....it stands for Big Government now and BG doesnt want opposition which freedom of speech represents. I apologize if someone already expressed those sentiments as I didnt take time to read the entire thread...actually no apologies - just reinforce what others may have said.

My, my how idiotic can one be? Liberals in favour of Big Govt because it doesnt want opposition? Remember who installed "Free Speech Zones" and which party was it that demanded scripted questions from the media?

The entire GOP plan in a nutshell :

1. Continue and guarantee that the top 10% of earners don't have to contribute a thing to the economy.
2. Continually allow the banks to do whatever the flip they want and to blindly give them another multi trillion dollar bailout package whenever they get a bug up their tail.
3. Continually send our jobs oversees which will double and triple the unemployment rates.
4. Engage us in an armed conflict with Iran and North Korea while keeping the Wars Over Energy going.
5. Deny people the basic right to essential services like Medicaid, Social Security and cancel all social programs effectively leaving those like me who are unable to hold down a 40 hour 5 day a week job to fend for ourselves!
6. Allow time and time again the poisoning of our food and water supply while protecting the companies that are harming us.
7. Kill off the electric and non petrolchemical powered transportation.
8. Allow for more foriegn influence into our process domestically (law passages, elections)
9. Kill off any non white people!
10. Kill our chance to compete on the world's stage while cutting public school education while leaving the private schools alone.
11. Turn this "War On Terrorism" into a "Holy War" between Islam-Muslim and Christian-Hebrew!
12. Allow time and time again your health insurance company the control to deny you and your family any treatment they want. < These are the real "Death Panels" a bunch of insurance company employees sitting around dictating who gets what coverage.
13. Do nothing about this immigrant issue so the multi trillion dollar lobbyists firms can contunally exploit them for cheap and dirt cheap labour all the while not demanding that any of it remains stateside all while evading the Federal Income Tax laws,
14. Allow you to lose your job and home for whatever reason your employer and lender dictates and not have the populous the right to challenge any claim.
15. Return to an era whereas an African American was legally declared 2/3 of a person and Women weren't allowed out of the kitchen, forget about having the right to own property, hold down a job, have a say in matters pertaining to thier own bodies, have the right to vote, be forced to endure consistant beatings and belittements if they didn't have dinner done in time, being subjected to forced spousal rape. Do y'all really want to subject your daughters, mothers, sisters, aunts to this? African Americans would be forced back into the cotton fields stripped of all rights, properties, jobs, and all money earned. McCain admitted this while on The View in Ear 08!

For y'all that want smaller Govt do not dare complain when that new tool you got to fix your house burns your skin right off because the safety regulations were abolished and do not dare complain when that new skin cream makes your skin so raw it causes an infection that costs you your limb.

Say goodbye to ABS, airbags, seatbelts, aircon, brake override systems in cars if they get their way.

Say goodbye to every single safety protection that exists if you want smaller Govt as Big Govt keeps these firms up at night living in fear.

The US was under a "Defacto Dictatorship" from Oct 01 - Jan 09 and who was in charge?

The Neo Nazi Conservatists.

Who wanted to strip the rights of all Americans under the repealment of the 14th Amendment? Means without a shadow of a doubt that the GOP does not care for freedoms, the will of the people and The Constitution.

"House Republicans Introduce Bill To Repeal The 14th Amendment"
www.abovetopsecret.com...

The GOP was behind solely and exclusively the construction of the Islamic Cultural Center in Downtown Manhattan thus infringing upon freedoms and telling others that they don't have a right to worship in a manner of their own choosing as per the 1st Amendment.

The Dems are the true Americans as we do not pick and choose who we support neither do we pick and choose to support the "Cause of the day". We are for equal rights and freedoms for ALL!

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join