It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reasonably Priced Safe Room/Tornado Shelter Above Ground?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   
A tornado touched down a few miles away from my house last night, so right now I am seriously considering installing an above-ground safe room in my garage.

Anyone know where I can get a good deal on a pre-fab shelter in Kentucky?

Thanks!

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   
throw one of those big metal shipping containers in your back yard, you can use it for storage and have evtra food and water and if $h!+ goes down than just run inside.. i dnt know if they can close from the inside tho..

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by BattleStarGal

For tornado i would not build any above ground shelter as mom nature can be quite aggressive.
If you are serious about shelter you can do a smal 6x6x6 sub terrain shelter that will be much better than anything above ground.
It does not have to be huge and it's not like your gonna live in it, just dig and reinforce the walls and put about a foot of earth above you.
This will keep you below the windshear.
That's what i'd do if i needed a budget quick shelter anyway, plus some say just jump in a ditch, if that helps to keep you from getting blown away, i'm sure my 6x6x6 box would do just fine.
Hope it helps, any objections, comments? any would be appreciated.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I saw these sewer pipe hotel rooms and I tho0ught if you could build something like this and lay a berm of earth over it, you'd have a nice little hobbit hole..
With a little creativity and a longer section of pipe, I imagine one could set this up with more long-term necessities.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Anything above ground is a no-go. Ever see a tornado disassemble a trailer park? Or just a modest ranch-style home? It wouldn't have any problem relocating your above ground safe room into another Zip Code.

Below ground would be best. Try not to have it in a place where blow-down (house, garage, etc) can trap you inside of it. If not possible, at least stock it with a nice supply of break-out tools (sledge hammer, crowbar, ax).

HTH.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
What about recycled shipping containers? Cool stuff being built with them.

See here and also here too.

edit on 2-3-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join