It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama signs temporary extension of Patriot Act

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander
reply to post by inkyminds

I fricken hate people who call America, "the homeland." You sound like Nazis.

Just my two cents.

There were channels of approval, courts to petition, etc.. to allow them to spy on suspected bad guys before the Patriot Act. They can use those channels again. They dont need some blanket ability to violate someones Constitutionally guaranteed right to privacy.

Wow. I did not read your message prior to posting mine.

Freakin' great minds and all that...

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by DragonTattooz

You thinking "Homeland" makes me a nazi does not bode well for your understanding of basic English terminology.

In addition, it speaks ill of your understanding of recent history since the term you are thinking of is 'Fatherland".

Lastly, your implication that I am a Nazi and A Fascist tells me you don't have the ability to debate the issue on the actual facts.

A homeland (rel. country of origin and native land) is the concept of the place (cultural geography) to which an ethnic group holds a long history and a deep cultural association with —the country in which a particular national identity began. As a common noun, it simply connotes the country of one's origin. When used as a proper noun, the word, as well as its cognates in other languages (i.e. Heimatland in German) often have ethnic nationalist connotations: Fatherland, Motherland, Mother country, each having some distinct interpretation according to nationality or historical usage.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by inkyminds
reply to post by DragonTattooz

You thinking "Homeland" makes me a nazi does not bode well for your understanding of basic English terminology.

In addition, it speaks ill of your understanding of recent history since the term you are thinking of is 'Fatherland".

Lastly, your implication that I am a Nazi and A Fascist tells me you don't have the ability to debate the issue on the actual facts.

A homeland (rel. country of origin and native land) is the concept of the place (cultural geography) to which an ethnic group holds a long history and a deep cultural association with —the country in which a particular national identity began. As a common noun, it simply connotes the country of one's origin. When used as a proper noun, the word, as well as its cognates in other languages (i.e. Heimatland in German) often have ethnic nationalist connotations: Fatherland, Motherland, Mother country, each having some distinct interpretation according to nationality or historical usage.

Don't try to educate me. I've forgotten more about Nazi Germany than you will ever know. My knowledge so far eclipses yours that you are not in my game, let alone league.

Your ridiculous argument is not worthy of any more of my time. You simply don't get it, and I don't have the time or patience to explain it to you. I think someone already used the word "obtuse" in this thread, correct?

Done.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by DragonTattooz

Don't try to educate me. I've forgotten more about Nazi Germany than you will ever know. My knowledge so far eclipses yours that you are not in my game, let alone league.

Your ridiculous argument is not worthy of any more of my time. You simply don't get it, and I don't have the time or patience to explain it to you. I think someone already used the word "obtuse" in this thread, correct?

Done.

My apologies for trying to educate you to basic English terminology.Obviously, you are not open to such concepts.

You're right. Using the term Homeland" in it's correct way makes me a nazi, and you not ebing able to explain your reasoning beyond personal attacks makes you incredibly informed.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776

Did you even read my post on the 4th amendment? That is how they are affecting me personally by trashing the Constitution which endangers every American.(This includes me, in case you cannot figure that out.)

Like I already said, you make vague references to the '4th Amendment" because you don't likely understand what the specifics of this issue are.

Explain specifically which aspects of the Patriot Act violates the 4th amendment, or I will continue to believe you don't actually have any specifics.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by lastrebel

So we think the government shouldn't be able to tap a phone they know is being used by someone plotting against the homeland? Isn't that one of the main functions of government? To protect the homeland?

You need to be less obvious.............LOL

HOMELAND indeed.............LOL

So, you disagree that protection of the homeland is one of the most important responsibilities of the Federal Government?

How much do you get paid to come on here and be a government shill? Or are you an agent just assigned this task?

The reasson I ask is I could use a few extra bucks and could be far more subtile and efficitive than you

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
It seems I voted for a member of the God and guns group. For a supposed liberal he shure is Bushesque. Words like "homeland" and 'fatherland" are terms ment to instill blind patriotism. The proof of this is evident, those who can see never use the terms.
edit on 26-2-2011 by earthdude because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   

How much do you get paid to come on here and be a government shill? Or are you an agent just assigned this task?

Ah, yes, the typical ad hominem attack in place of informed debate. IT does not bode well for your ability to debate on issue on facts instead of emotion.

Who am I supposed to be a 'shill' for, The Dictionary Lobby?

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by earthdude
. Words like "homeland" and 'fatherland" are terms ment to instill blind patriotism.

I see. So your objection to these specific aspects of the Patriot Act are that some people use the term "Homeland" and for some unknown reason you equate that with Nazi Germany, despite defense of the homeland being a key aspect of the Federal Authority in the Constitution.

Your objection to these specific aspects f the Patriot Act aren't based on any 'specifics', but merely on a broad characterization of anyone who disagrees with you being a 'Nazi".

So you call anyone who challenges you to come up with specific refutations based on actual evidence 'blind', without noting the irony? The "Blindness" is being against something you can't even explain why you are against it.

For reference:

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   

post removed by staff

Can you expand upon your point a bit?

You don't think the Constitution orders the Federal Government to protect the 'home land'?
edit on Sat Feb 26 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   

What part of it allows the government to use infiltrators to go into sites to preach the government Gospel?

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
the fourth Amendment: The right of the people to be secure in their persons,houses,papers, and effects against unrerasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things be seized.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Hmmm, my memory might not be the best, but didn't we elect Obama for president (besides for "change") because he promised to end the Patriot Act?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
To me the patriot Act takes away probable cause. Oh you wanna search that person's house just use the Patriot Act. The Patriot Act is replacing probable cause because when you use that phrase you automatically think terrorism.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by CapnCaveman
Hmmm, my memory might not be the best, but didn't we elect Obama for president (besides for "change") because he promised to end the Patriot Act?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Nope. He promised to 'revisit' specific aspects of the Patriot Act and give them more 'oversight."

""As president, Barack Obama would revisit the PATRIOT Act to ensure that there is real and robust oversight of tools like National Security Letters, sneak-and-peek searches, and the use of the material witness provision."""

""Barack Obama opposed the Bush Administration's initial policy on warrantless wiretaps because it crossed the line between protecting our national security and eroding the civil liberties of American citizens. As president, Obama would update the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act to provide greater oversight and accountability to the congressional intelligence committees to prevent future threats to the rule of law.""

IT NEVER ceases to amaze me that people see to think Obama ran on free puppies and rainbows for everyone.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by American-philosopher
To me the patriot Act takes away probable cause. Oh you wanna search that person's house just use the Patriot Act. The Patriot Act is replacing probable cause because when you use that phrase you automatically think terrorism.

Really? How? What specific aspects of the Patriot act have EVER been used in that fashion?

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   

What part of it allows the government to use infiltrators to go into sites to preach the government Gospel?

Yeah, showing that you haven't the time or ability to actually support your point with evidence, thus descending instead into personal attacks doesn't bode well for your 'side'

In addition, I'm hardly 'defending the government'. I'm merely challenging the sheep to explain why they think this is bad. And so far, NO ONE has been able to do so, instead relying on calling me a Nazi.
edit on 26-2-2011 by inkyminds because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   

I think it is pretty funny you are using the term "the Homeland" alot.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
"A standing military force, with an overgrown Executive will not long be safe companions to liberty. The means of defence against foreign danger, have been always the instruments of tyranny at home. Among the Romans it was a standing maxim to excite a war, whenever a revolt was apprehended. Throughout all Europe, the armies kept up under the pretext of defending, have enslaved the people. "

James Madison, primary architect of the Constitution

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join