It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

They need to stop evacuating so called Americans from Libya

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Most of them live there and have family in Libya, many left the US a long time ago and now all the sudden they want to claim America. The moved to Libya so they need to deal with the consequences. If you put yourself in risky scenarios you shouldn't expect to be bailed out. DEAL WITH IT.

It reminds me of the movie 2012 when the privilege people were allowed to escape catastrophe by boarding those submarine looking boats.

Former US citizens or people just simply born in America are no more privileged then anyone else. I'm sure some Libyans want to get out that hell hole too.

I find it funny that as soon as # hits the fan they expect tax payers to pay for them to relocate.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
the only true duty of a govenment is to protect its citizens, I can't see how this is bad.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Seriously?

Why should it matter to you or anyone else if American citizens residing in a foreign country plagued by strife are leaving for safer territory? It doesn't affect you in any way.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
American citizens abroad can still be conscipted (if they ever bring it back), vote, commit treason, be taxed or work for american companies.

This just seems like thinly veiled foreigner bashing.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I suppose all of the other countries and corporations around the world should do the same?

Governments around the world, as well as companies, were making a run to get their people out of volatile Libya. Schlumberger, an oil and gas technology company, said Friday that it had evacuated 300 people, including 200 employees and their families. (1)

Your thread (gripe? rant?) makes no sense...

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Just a tad callous, no?

Let's put you in their shoes. You, for whatever reason, be it you have the right education to get a job in the Oil sector or just want to live in another place, emigrate to another country. That country goes to pot and you're in danger, so is it not the duty of your home country to look after you?

In fact, the recent evacuations have seen citizens of different countries being rescued by others. Ireland flew out Britons trapped, Turkey took all sorts, Germany took whoever was available.

It's the humanitarian thing to do. I think you would be appalled if you went your embassy or consulate and requested an evacuation only to be told "Sorry, you made your choice moving here, deal with it. You're not our problem!"

One of the primary functions of Embassies and Consulates is to provide support and assistance to it's countries citizens in that country. I think you are massively missing the point.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   

I find it funny that as soon as # hits the fan they expect tax payers to pay for them to relocate.

Americans pay US tax on world-wide, earned income. You are aware of this in the tax code, no?

edit on 25-2-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
I'm sorry, I just don't think the government should be responsible for Americans who live abroad in "questionable" countries.

They made their bed they need to sleep in it.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Better Mouse Trap

So, if you lived abroad you would be perfectly happy to be left to fend for yourself if the SHTF?

As long as you are, then fair enough I suppose, you're entitled to your opinion. I think you'll find that 95% of people will be against you on this one though.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Did you know if you move over seas as an American, anywhere in the World.. you have to pay full income taxes to both the USA and residing country? Yes.. double taxes.. and this continues until you renounce citizenship.

Those are Americans.. they pay American taxes.. they need help, we should supply said help.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Yeah since they are still citizen of different countries I guess they have the right to go back home whenevr they want to. Right? So how does it matter if they leave now?

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Better Mouse Trap
I'm sorry, I just don't think the government should be responsible for Americans who live abroad in "questionable" countries.

They made their bed they need to sleep in it.

i think i see where you are coming from. just like all American soldiers should have to make their own way back from Iraqi battle fields.

edit on 26-2-2011 by purplemer because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Kinda on the fence about this.....if you were born American, decided that work/economy was not good enough so you move to another country, achieve dual citizenship, then that country fails, all of a sudden you want Uncle Scam to bail you out?

Shoe on the other foot.......you were born Libyan, moved to America, America goes to the dogs - would you expect Libya to extract you?

How many foreigners were extracted before/during 9/11 by their homeland?? And what countries did they belong to?

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by I.C. Weiner
How many foreigners were extracted before/during 9/11 by their homeland?? And what countries did they belong to?

every country that officially knew about 9/11 beforehand evacuated their citizens before.

I'm suprised the rest didn't evacuate their people after because I hear it was as bad as a civilwar out in the US for weeks after.

seriously theres no comparison between the two situations.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Define "questionable." Because if you want a change in US law - and that IS what you're asking for - you're going to need to set up a specific definition as to what, in exacting detail, "questionable country" means.

Until a week and a half ago, Libya was regarded as a stable country that was a US ally in the war on terror and a booming oil-based economy that was welcoming of American and other foreign investments. Ghana, another example of a country that has historically been regarded as a great place for Americans, that is now seeing a lot of violence.

So exactly what standards are you using here, BMT?

top topics

join