It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Running water on mars recently?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2004 @ 08:50 AM
link   
marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov...

Looks like there was running water on mars look at this picture... it looks like it was there recently ...

posted on Jul, 17 2004 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Looks like ripples left from wind to me. If there is running water, its under the surface.

posted on Jul, 17 2004 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
Looks like ripples left from wind to me. If there is running water, its under the surface.

Haven't you just, basically, said that theres some form of air on mars? Or has that already been identified and ive overlooked it?

posted on Jul, 17 2004 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stuey1221

Haven't you just, basically, said that theres some form of air on mars? Or has that already been identified and ive overlooked it?

Stuey!

Yes there is a small atmosphere on mars. You should really just do a tiny bit of research about things before posting stuff on ATS especially in the science/exploration forum =). Even a tiny little reading on a google search can help you look smart!

Actually mars has huge dust storms and even Dust Devils

www.space.com...

X

[edit on 17-7-2004 by Xeven]

posted on Jul, 17 2004 @ 10:08 AM
link   
What I find interesting about that image, are the almost perfectly straight lines in the impressions in the soil, the obvious 90 degree angles in some of the bedrock, and the upturned flat shale looking rocks along the edges of some of these lines that follow an un-natural looking impression. With the debri seemingly undisturbed, this formation would have had to be there for some time now.

posted on Jul, 17 2004 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xeven

Originally posted by Stuey1221

Stuey!

Yes there is a small atmosphere on mars. You should really just do a tiny bit of research about things before posting stuff on ATS especially in the science/exploration forum =). Even a tiny little reading on a google search can help you look smart!

Actually mars has huge dust storms and even Dust Devils

www.space.com...

X

I consider myself well and truly told
lol My apologies for making a total ass outta myself

posted on Jul, 17 2004 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I used to live in the 29 Palms California and the picture looks like the desert after an unespected rain wash after it dries.
The desert in California is full of them.

posted on Jul, 17 2004 @ 04:00 PM
link   
thats a very interesting photo....

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Xeven I know the guy who discovered the dust devils on Mars
Ironically he had nothing to do with any Mars research, he was looking at a lot of pictures coming in out of interest and caught what JPL had not. Actual evidence of a dust devil actively carving its path in the sand

Shale is a sedimentary rock, so that is not shale. Besides, shale is a fine clastic rock composed of clay or mud, that is comprised of many thin layers.

It's also hard to tell what you're looking at because there is no "scale".

The picture also looks to be in a false color, the shadows are so extremely black and the resolution looks poor.

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Yep.
Is a false color image. All of those "blueberries" are actually gray.
They are also small, maybe a few millimeters in size, for the bigger ones.
That gives you a rough idea for the scale of that image..We're looking at an area of just a few square feet max.

The natural channels between the flat plates of this bedrock, are just collecting the fine dust matter that blows through...remember an atmosphere behaves somewhat like a fluid, and will flow in and around obstacles, when that happens the air slows down, dropping whatever dust thats in suspension. Leaving streamlike deposits.

Freemason,
I've met Steve, the dust devil guy, a few times..As a matter of fact, I was talking about him today, when a huge one ripped through my backyard, rearranging my lawn furniture..!

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 10:16 AM
link   
These ripples are wind derived

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Yeah spacedoubt, should have figured you'd know him too being in this area

I just met a "Foresythe" today, I'll have to go and ask my dad what Foresythes we used to work with in mining to see if the guy I met is related to the same family, since he is apart of a mining family the chances are good that he might even be related to me by marriage har har har.

But, Nevada when it comes to Geology, is like one big family, when I was beginning my degree I met with the Dean and told him about my Grandfather and our owning 2 unpattented claims in the Oling house region, boy that sure piqued his interest

For all those other Nevadans not involved in Geology...they must feel like complete strangers
lol.

The ripples are most certainly eolian, the scale helps clarify a lot, if the blueberries were several centimeters across, then the picture would be very odd, so thanks for giving some specs space.

I figured it had to be false color as the dust-filled fractures looked too transparent and "foggy". Which is just out of the question.

Oh and some stories about dust devils Space.

When I was a kid in elementary school, I watched a dust devil in an apartment area just disappear while we were playing basket ball, all that sand literally was picked up into the air, it then hopped over the apartments and just decended upon us like a vengeful god

I've seen "dust tornados", I call them such because the structure is more of a miniature tornado, where it has a central down-draft and an external updraft and all that good stuff.

Then once, when out in the desert in the middle of the night, we're driving in this giant van like 50 miles an hour, when suddenly in the head lights a giant dust devil just cuts across the road, we hit the middle of it and the van's all swerving and bouncing, then it passes. I thought how odd, because had we been 1mph slower, a second faster...we'd never even have seen it

new topics

top topics

join