It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Large crack opens in the earth in southern Peru

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
The more I look at it the more I see a busted Methane bubble under this house. It could have been there for thousands of years slowly collecting and getting bigger. Then one day it pops. Everything that was above is now below in an instant while the Methane just gases off into the air. It looks like a giant tiller came through there. What else could do that?

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by CLPrime
reply to post by theabsolutetruth

Unfortunately, "critical density" isn't as critical as it may sound. It simply means the energy-density which yields a "flat" universe. As stated in the link you provided, the measured density of the universe is within a very small (in fact, negligible) margin of being equal to the calculated critical density. This means the universe is "flat", which also matches observations of the paths of parallel light staying parallel. It also means the universe will not collapse back in on itself. Instead, it will continue expanding. "Critical density" doesn't have the ominous implication's you're implying.

fisrtly ''ominous'' is your suggestion, please do not presume my opinions.

secondly, if the universe is reaching critical density then there is more than one possible outcome, it is not guaranteed to reach critical density, though the fact that it is nearing such gives various possibilities. Additionally, given energy principles, there is undoubted possibility of energy action on celestials even if critical density were to be obtained. It would appear that the current universal expansion status is a relevant factor.

The fact that the universe is expanding then raises the question "Will it always expand?" Since the action of gravity works against the expansion, then if the density were large enough, the expansion would stop and the universe would collapse in a "big crunch". This is called a closed universe. If the density were small enough, the expansion would continue forever (an open universe). At a certain precise critical density, the universe would asymtotically approach zero expansion rate, but never collapse. Remarkably, all evidence indicates that the universe is very close to that critical density. Discussions about the expansion of the universe often refer to a density parameter Ω which is the density divided by the critical density, such that Ω = 1 represents the critical density condition.

edit on 25-2-2011 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   

You were implying that the universe reaching critical density is something that could be compared with the other potentially devastating things we've been seeing lately. I assumed that meant you saw the accelerated expansion of the universe as equally important, so I apologize if that wasn't your intention.

The universe is not "approaching" critical density. The universe is already at critical density, and always has been. If the density of the universe at its formation had been less, the geometry of the universe would be hyperbolic...it would be "open". If the density had been more, the universe would be spherical, or "closed", and would result in the "Big Crunch". However, the density appears to be exactly equal to the critical density, which produced the "flat" universe we see.
The density isn't approaching anything. It is what it is.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheLieWeLive
Everything that was above is now below in an instant while the Methane just gases off into the air.
Not everything, see the big green-topped rock in the middle?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/58338be0d237.jpg[/atsimg]

It looks like a giant tiller came through there. What else could do that?
I think your description regarding the tiller is more accurate than a "crack". When I till my garden, I don't say it has a "crack" in it, just that the surface is disturbed.

I think your theory of trapped methane being released is one plausible possibility.

It's an interesting event, I'll be interested to see what the cause is.

It's also interesting how many people in this thread mention a whole bunch of other unrelated stuff as if it might be related. As my mother used to say, it's got nothing to do with the price of tea in China (or any of the dozens of other unrelated things people are throwing into the thread).

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Pepeluacho

WAIT , there's more!
Governments KNOW IT but they keep it as a surprise for the idiotic humanity sheeple !

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 06:57 AM
link   
How often does this happen? If its methane gas being released from the ground then the next question would be why the earth is suddenly burping up gas? Seems like there is an increase in this kind of activity.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 06:59 AM
link   
This is our real life scripted review for 2012...

If I remember correctly the lady looking at the crack forming in Santa Monica chided her husband about returning to Michigan...?

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by AeonStorm
reply to post by pitchdragon

Cool! Thanks for sharing! A fissure
Are there any volcanoes around this area? If so that might easily explain this phenomena... if not...then perhaps not so easily.

Yes, there are a few volcanos, but not sure if they are close enough to be the reason for this. Here is a map :

Source : www.igp.gob.pe...
edit on 26-2-2011 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by liveandletlive
How often does this happen? If its methane gas being released from the ground then the next question would be why the earth is suddenly burping up gas? Seems like there is an increase in this kind of activity.

I don't think this happened there before. They say there wasn't an earthquake. There is not increase of the volcanic activity around as far I know. If it's gas, someone got to tell them not to smoke a cigarrete.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   
looks like god read the script for the movie 2012 and decided to go with it

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Thanks.
Interesting and wierd.
It looks like the land has been ploughed. But by what?
Either that or a drunken alien crashing his little UFO. So keep an eye out for a scratched up UFO with a busted tail light.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   
actualy An expanding Earth would have an effect on Earth rotation as geophysicians can calculate it.
wee see the elevation of the sea, earthquake, volcano on and on so i want just know and it's legitimate if
we are moving to a big big change...i'm looking for answer but this is the same we have
the "it's normal" with video and picture from internet with no real explanation and " it's the end" with video
and picture from internet with no real explanation... I have the impression that science clings to their recesses without really looking to see further and that the least scientific of us cling to their recesses without really looking to see further ... but I've never seen a crack like this before ...
edit on 26-2-2011 by pitchdragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by CLPrime

You were implying that the universe reaching critical density is something that could be compared with the other potentially devastating things we've been seeing lately. I assumed that meant you saw the accelerated expansion of the universe as equally important, so I apologize if that wasn't your intention.

The universe is not "approaching" critical density. The universe is already at critical density, and always has been. If the density of the universe at its formation had been less, the geometry of the universe would be hyperbolic...it would be "open". If the density had been more, the universe would be spherical, or "closed", and would result in the "Big Crunch". However, the density appears to be exactly equal to the critical density, which produced the "flat" universe we see.
The density isn't approaching anything. It is what it is.

The Universe isn't at critical density, and there are various hypothesis on current and future densities.
In fact critical density itself involves assumption of other hypothesis, there are new findings in the scientific community suggesting current hypothesis might not be all as it seems. Like the Universe, science is evolving and one should never 'choose' any of various current and future density hypotheses to be absolute and correct as findings in this area are a work in progress. There are at least 3 scientific proposals for the current density of the universe and at least 6 for potential scenarios.

ultimate fate of the universe

The ultimate fate of the universe is a topic in physical cosmology. Many possible fates are predicted by rival scientific theories, including futures of both finite and infinite duration. Once the notion that the universe started with a Big Bang became accepted by a consensus of scientists, the ultimate fate of the universe became a valid cosmological question, one depending upon the physical properties of the mass/energy in the universe, its average density, and the rate of expansion.

The current scientific consensus of most cosmologists is that the ultimate fate of the universe depends on its overall shape, how much dark energy it contains, and on the equation of state which determines how the dark energy density responds to the expansion of the universe.[citation needed] Recent observations have shown that, from 7.5 billion years after the Big Bang onwards, the expansion rate of the universe has actually been increasing, concurrent with the Open Universe theory.

The fate of the universe is determined by the density of the universe. The preponderance of evidence to date, based on measurements of the rate of expansion and the mass density, favors a universe that will continue to expand indefinitely, resulting in the "big freeze" scenario below.[3] However, new understandings of the nature of dark matter also suggest its interactions with mass and gravity demonstrate the possibility of an oscillating universe.

Choosing among these rival scenarios is done by 'weighing' the universe, for example, measuring the relative contributions of matter, radiation, dark matter and dark energy to the critical density. More concretely, competing scenarios are evaluated against data on galaxy clustering and distant supernovae, and on the anisotropies in the Cosmic Microwave Background.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
As the Earth's magnetosphere continues to decrease in strength, Tectonic and Volcanic activity will continue to increase, until there is a reversal.

This is all part of the cycle of the Earth and the Sun, consider ourselves fortunate we are living during the short interglacial period.
edit on 26-2-2011 by Tephra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Just check this one :

Peru’s national agency for civil defense, Indeci, has organized the first nighttime earthquake and tsunami drill on a national level, with the goal of preparing the public for a nighttime event that involves the participation of families in their respective homes.

They are getting ready....just in case.

www.livinginperu.com...

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by pitchdragon

Hello OP, I thought you might be interested in this crack that began in Michigan in October. I posted this after a new video showed that there could be heat coming from the crack back in January, I believe.

Michigan's crack (fissure)

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
crazydaizy. You are correct about the cracks that opened in Illinois. The are called 'Frost Quakes' and can be accompanied by large loud booms. They result from sudden extreme temperature changes.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
when did this happen? cant find date on youtube video

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by CaDreamer

The event, recorded Wednesday morning

www.livinginperu.com...

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
So this is my first post, and I am pretty happy about it.

I live in florida, and I have been in vacation for about a month and a half in Peru.

I've been lurking these forums for about a year I'd say

As I was reading this thread, and looking at the pictures, there has just been a minor earthquake here, and let me tell you it CREEPED ME OUT!

Def not something strong at alllllll, but when the floor under you starts shaking a little, and you are reading about a freaking crack opening up in the floor in the country you are currently located at, man was that freaky or what lol

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join