It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vote Now! Is Voting Worthy of Suffrage?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Let's put this to a vote. Is freedom defined by the ability to elect ones government officials?

I vote no! Resoundingly no!

Out of democracy rises tyranny.

There is the rule of law, and there is the rule by law. Democracies may claim to adhere to the rule of law, but more often than not they succumb to rule by law.

What is the difference?

The rule of law is actual law. Law is simple, true, universal, and absolute. When it comes to the laws of justice, this rule of law is founded on the individuals right to self defense. All people have the right to defend themselves. This is true, simple, universal, and absolute. It is the law. Based upon this law, it follows that people have the right to collectively form a government to defend the rights of the individual.

This defense of the rights of individual can be instituted democratically, assuming the election process is rooted in electing officials that will indeed do what they've been mandated to do, and assuming that people will actually vote for the rule of law, instead of the rule by law.

The rule by law is the arbitrary and whimsical nature of legislation granted the respect of law. Legislation is not law, merely evidence of law. If it is law, and it has been legislated then this legislation is law. If it is not law, and merely some hypothesis, or some whimsical decree, then it is only a matter of time before freedom is lost. Rule by law grants legislatures to legislate as stupidly as they please, and they can, if they so decide, legislate Pi as being an even 3.0. This will not be law, but under rule by law, it will be enforced, and architects, engineers, and construction workers can be fined and/or imprisoned for having the audacity of using the equation 3.14159265 as Pi. Never mind the bridges. Never mind the sky scrapers. PI is 3.0 as a matter of rule by law, and this makes it easier on the children...after all, what about the children?

Elect your government officials if this makes you feel better about government, but for God's sake, don't tell me that your vote is the only thing you can do in the name of freedom. I will not be so polite to such an assertion.

If we must have government, then let's elect them, but if we, each and everyone of us do not have profound respect for the law...actual law...it matters not how government came to power, we're screwed.

So, what is your vote?

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
i will sum up my thoughts on this with a favorite quote of mine.

The fact, in short, is that freedom, to be meaningful in an organized society must consist of an amalgam of hierarchy of freedoms and restraints. ~Samuel Hendel

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   

The biggest argument against democracy is a five minute discussion with the average voter. -churchill

The reason democracys will never work in one easy sentance.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by monkofmimir

The biggest argument against democracy is a five minute discussion with the average voter. -churchill

The reason democracys will never work in one easy sentance.

I got a better sentence for ya.. Democracy, It's a threat to our republic!

This is the reason a democracy will never work..
edit on 25-2-2011 by TechVampyre because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I agree with your vote JPZ, of course.
I think people should have to pass a test to have the privilege of voting, but then, so should those that run for office. Perhaps then, we wouldn't have congressmen that thought an island might tip over from having too many people on it.
The vote should have always been about WHOM had the best interests of the citizenry at heart. Who best can set the the example for Americans to follow? As for as the office of president, who has impeccable integrity and character? A solid history that is above reproach.
Our standards are so low, in all areas that really matter, it is hard to see how we could ever get our republic back. It takes a team to win a game, but in a republic, even the fans HAVE to know the game plan works.
And when the plan is NOT being executed.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
TPTB like to lead us around by holding carrots in front of us, just out of reach, increasing our desire for what we are denied until we go nuts demanding what they have been teasing us with for so long. It is often too late that we find out that the carrot they were leading us with is poisonous, only finding out after we have gorged ourselves.

Its follows the blueprint they used when they gave women the right to vote. Prior to women having the right to vote, they used their moral authority to push through a Constitutional Amendment creating Prohibition. When this happened, the men of the country freaked out. Fearing what those crazed harpies would try to push through next, the men of America rushed through the Constitutional Amendment giving women the right to vote just one year after the abhorrent Prohibition Amendment. After that time, if a woman wanted to have a say in politics, her voice was worth just as little as the next guy's; "You want a say in this sister, get in line and vote for the same limited choices as the rest of us."

Prior to women having the right to vote, the men felt a moral obligation to look out for the interests of both themselves, their wives and sisters and their whole family. Voting for something wholly selfish was unknown and morally reprehensible.

Then women got the right to vote and they became capable of looking out for their own interests. This freed men to vote in accordance with their own selfish wants, believing that the women could look out for themselves now that they could vote. Soon, the obligations of marriage and family were forgotten when people walked into the voting booth and it became easier to vote for the guy who promised the most for you and nobody else. It became morally acceptable to vote for more benefits from the government just for yourself knowing that every other voter out there was doing the same thing.

People became selfish and used their votes to increase their reliance on government, further enslaving themselves to those in power.

The right to vote gives us the right to fasten the chains around our own wrists.

top topics

join