It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America and policing the world.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I am not a very political person, heck I don't even claim one party or another but there is something that's been on my nerves lately.

I want to know who made America the World Police? Why is it that every time some other country has a political meltdown or some kind of disaster, we go poking our noses in like it's all our business and responsibility?

Am I being selfish in thinking that we, as a country have no right right to go around preaching and trying to fix other countries problems when we can't even manage to fix our own? We have jobless, homeless, starving, sick and dying Americans out there and we can't as a country help them yet we are supposed to help others rebuild and tell them how to structure government??

I used to be proud to be an American but anymore, I simply hang my head in shame.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by undiscoveredsoul

well you're an exception I must say...
By the way :
ROMANIAN OIL , GOLD , SILVER and "other things" now go to CANADA or USA!
Just a "kinky" reminder!
That's what I been telling every american : If you have a gun GRAB IT AND SHOOT YOUR LEADERS ASAP!
You'll do yourself a "favoure" on the long term!

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by leaualorin

An exception to what?

I'm sorry but I don't understand your post about things going to America or Canada?

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   

It all came after WWII. America set up permanent bases abroad. The Cold War, America thought the USSR was a serious threat, and they wanted to "police" the world to make sure that no other countries would turn into a threat, and thus adopted "containment". America had to do all that was in it's power to overthrow certain governments, fight wars, etc., just so the Soviets would not gain influence over that country. That is the history.... but as of why they do it today.... probably because they spend the most money on military defense in the world (more than the next 10 countries behind us combined), and the world sees the US as a powerful nation whom has worldly influence, which it does. Not saying I agree, but that's the reason in layman's terms.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   

We have jobless, homeless, starving, sick and dying Americans out there and we can't as a country help them yet we are supposed to help others rebuild and tell them how to structure government??

I used to be proud to be an American but anymore, I simply hang my head in shame.

And what have you done to help those jobless, homeless, starving, sick and dying Americans? I'm not attacking you, I'm speaking you in general. I just wish more Americans would step up to the plate to help their fellow Americans. It shouldn't be a government job because it only leads to more taxes, programs, waste and fraud.

Look up all the government programs many of the Americans you mentioned above qualify for. Quite a few.

As for world police, I understand. It is just something we do to continue being the top Dawg. Have you ever thought what life in America would be like if we weren't top?

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by undiscoveredsoul
Am I being selfish in thinking that we, as a country have no right right to go around preaching and trying to fix other countries problems when we can't even manage to fix our own? We have jobless, homeless, starving, sick and dying Americans out there and we can't as a country help them yet we are supposed to help others rebuild

No, I don't see this as selfish, it's a great question. I for one am proud of the help we extend to other nations and people when the need arises. Even though we do a poor job of taking care of our own, our help in those situations is often well-organized and effective. So I disagree with you a bit on that point.

and tell them how to structure government??

Absolutely no way do we have the right to be telling other countries how to run their countries. We really need to cure ourselves of that, it rarely works out well.

The US is a large, complex entity. There are LOTS of things done in the name of the US that make me want to crawl under a rock. Our interference in other nations' politics is definitely one, and the hypocracy that goes with that.

But I (still) believe the US also does a lot of good in the world. Or maybe it's just that we are doing less harm now than we were a few years ago.

In any case, the question "Am I ashamed to be an American" is much like "Am I a liberal (conservative)"... there is no single Yes or No answer.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321

We have jobless, homeless, starving, sick and dying Americans out there and we can't as a country help them yet we are supposed to help others rebuild and tell them how to structure government??

And what have you done to help those jobless, homeless, starving, sick and dying Americans? I'm not attacking you, I'm speaking you in general. I just wish more Americans would step up to the plate to help their fellow Americans. It shouldn't be a government job because it only leads to more taxes, programs, waste and fraud.

Look up all the government programs many of the Americans you mentioned above qualify for. Quite a few.

As for world police, I understand. It is just something we do to continue being the top Dawg. Have you ever thought what life in America would be like if we weren't top?

What have i done? I am one of the currently jobless American who is on the verge of losing everything, so my answer to this is not a damn thing! I can't even help myself right now. There are no jobs where I live and when one does open up there are 200+ applicant applying for ONE position. I get almost nothing from unemployment, Really the unemployment isn't enough to take care of one person let alone myself and two children. Welfare? pffft I'm not an unwed teen with 4 kids by 4 different fathers so they dont help me out with anything but a little food stamps. Yet the government can send millions of dollars to people over seas to help them have food and shelter and clothing and basic needs? It's just wrong, very wrong. We should take car of our own before we go sticking our nose in the affairs of others!

top topics

join