It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

US Gov. Software Creates 'Fake People' on Social Networks

page: 1
11
<<   2 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
US Gov. Software Creates 'Fake People' on Social Networks

Continue reading on Examiner.com: US Gov. Software Creates 'Fake People' on Social Networks - National Social Media | Examiner.com www.examiner.com...

The US government is offering private intelligence companies contracts to create software to manage "fake people" on social media sites. Private security firms employeed by the government have used the accounts to create the illusion of consensus on controversial issues.

The contract calls for the development of "Persona Management Software" which would help the user create and manage a variety of distinct fake profiles online. The job listing was discussed in recently leaked emails from the private security firm HBGary after an attack by internet activist last week.

Continue reading on Examiner.com: US Gov. Software Creates 'Fake People' on Social Networks - National Social Media |

Government contract PDF
www.seankerrigan.com...

Obama meets tech leaders for dinner
blogs.orlandosentinel.com...

Wonder what they are up to.
edit on 022828p://bFriday2011 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)




posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
its a propaganda tool . quite clear really.

should be illegal for them to do this, it's what dictators do.

next stop blocking sites that condemm the goverement



posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Didnt that woman in the Facebook bully (suicide) case get a conviction on her because she created a "fake person" on facebook?



posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by MR BOB
its a propaganda tool . quite clear really.

should be illegal for them to do this, it's what dictators do.

next stop blocking sites that condemm the goverement



Synopsis:

Software will allow 10 personas per user, replete with background , history, supporting details, and cyber presences that are technically, culturally and geographacilly consistent. Individual applications will enable an operator to exercise a number of different online persons from the same workstation and without fear of being discovered by sophisticated adversaries. Personas must be able to appear to originate in nearly any part of the world and can interact through conventional online services and social media platforms. The service includes a user friendly application environment to maximize the user's situational awareness by displaying real-time local information.

0002- Secure Virtual Private Network (VPN). 1 each
VPN provides the ability for users to daily and automatically obtain randomly selected
IP addresses through which they can access the internet. The daily rotation of
the user s IP address prevents compromise during observation of likely or
targeted web sites or services, while hiding the existence of the operation. In
addition, may provide traffic mixing, blending the user s traffic with traffic from
multitudes of users from outside the organization. This traffic blending provides
excellent cover and powerful deniability. Anonymizer Enterprise Chameleon or equal

0003- Static IP Address Management. 50 each
Licence protects the identity of government agencies and enterprise
organizations. Enables organizations to manage their persistent online personas
by assigning static IP addresses to each persona. Individuals can perform
static impersonations, which allow them to look like the same person over time.
Also allows organizations that frequent same site/service often to easily switch IP
addresses to look like ordinary users as opposed to one organization. Anonymizer IP Mapper License or equal
www.fbo.gov...



amazing



posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Animatrix
Didnt that woman in the Facebook bully (suicide) case get a conviction on her because she created a "fake person" on facebook?


I think so.

Can you think of how this would be applied to the future of the internet?
edit on 022828p://bFriday2011 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
"Fake" people on the internet has been going on for quite sometime. Ever see how many bots are on facebook, myspace, irc, instant messaging programs? Why start complaining now, its ok for other entities to do it but when the government does it, people start yelling? Not saying that I agree with it, but lets put it into some perspective that this not new. Just another example of how people let things slide until it directly affects them or lands on their doorstep. If we nipped this in the bud several years ago when it first started, we may have been in a better position to stop it now, but we let our natural tendencies to ignore things until it is too late to even think about doing something about it.


edit on 25-2-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777
 


Im not sure what you mean by your question.. I was just making a point that this woman was convicted based on violating Facebooks ToS (if i remember right that is)
but its ok for the Govt to do it?



posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777
 


hmm that is awsome! now i can create fake revolutions from my computer at home! next stop the internets with an online protest to extradite Assange(random example) to the U.S!


This is what it will be used for, they have seen what people power can do, and the massive impact the internet has had in the recent protests.

You can fake a starting point and get the ball rolling on pretty much anything. .this software will not only be for facebook though, it will be usable for everything. reddit, myspace, ATS, every popular website you can think of.

right, we need to invent something other than the internet now..
edit on 25-2-2011 by MR BOB because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Well this is something I suspected for a long time,


Not what, but how, may be more the issue here.

The United States Chamber of Commerce, the business organization that represents international corporations in Washington, is being accused of hacking into the websites of its opponents in an attempt to sabotage and derail voices opposed to the Chamber.
www.examiner.com...
On Feb. 10, liberal website Think Progress reported that the U-S Chamber of Commerce had secretly solicited a handful of private security firms to "develop tactics for damaging progressive groups and labor unions, "and was plotting a coordinated "dirty tricks" campaign against these opponents, including Think



If you think we are ALL just average world citizens trying to communicate, I have news for you, NOT,



posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by MR BOB
 





right, we need to invent something other than the internet now..


That crossed my mind as well, I think this has been going on for a long time, I suspected it when people would be so unyielding in their position on certain subjects,


edit on 022828p://bFriday2011 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Animatrix
reply to post by Stormdancer777
 


Im not sure what you mean by your question.. I was just making a point that this woman was convicted based on violating Facebooks ToS (if i remember right that is)
but its ok for the Govt to do it?


I understood, sorry for the misunderstanding.



posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skewed
"Fake" people on the internet has been going on for quite sometime. Ever see how many bots are on facebook, myspace, irc, instant messaging programs? Why start complaining now, its ok for other entities to do it but when the government does it, people start yelling? Not saying that I agree with it, but lets put it into some perspective that this not new. Just another example of how people let things slide until it directly affects them or lands on their doorstep. If we nipped this in the bud several years ago when it first started, we may have been in a better position to stop it now, but we let our natural tendencies to ignore things until it is too late to even think about doing something about it.


edit on 25-2-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)





Ever see how many bots are on facebook, myspace, irc, instant messaging programs?


NO




If we nipped this in the bud several years ago


I doubt anything would have changed, besides I didn't know,

I am embarrassed to admit I don't understand the purpose of bots.
I am confused.



posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Never mind my son just explained it to me.


This is what happens when you get old.



posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777
 


Bots are used for several things, creating accounts, sending spam, talking to people with a pre-programed database of words, AIM had one or may still but I forgot what it was called.. It would answer questions pretty accurately and even react to being insulted.

Hackers make great use of Bots, they also use SEVERAL of them in their DoS attacks. The upload them to peoples computers as trojans and it sits and waits for its command to start flooding.



posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Animatrix
reply to post by Stormdancer777
 


Bots are used for several things, creating accounts, sending spam, talking to people with a pre-programed database of words, AIM had one or may still but I forgot what it was called.. It would answer questions pretty accurately and even react to being insulted.

Hackers make great use of Bots, they also use SEVERAL of them in their DoS attacks. The upload them to peoples computers as trojans and it sits and waits for its command to start flooding.


I see, TY, thank you very much.



posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Just wait till it hits ATS- we enough disinfo trolls on here already.....



posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skippy1138
Just wait till it hits ATS- we enough disinfo trolls on here already.....


what makes you think it hasn't?



posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777
 


Shhhhhhh............



posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Word to you Stormdancer...I think ATS is likely one of the first places they started testing it.

Not on any serious topics mind you...but really, the progression of the UFO over Temple Mount thread was really strange the way so many new users came in making very similar claims and straw man arguments glossing over the hard evidence that so many other users worked hard to show.

There is no doubt in my mind that this software is very real and has already been rolled out into cyberspace.



posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Fakebook anyone??



new topics

top topics



 
11
<<   2 >>

log in

join