It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese aircraft carrier

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2004 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I�m sure the Invincible class are well suited for the role they were built to do, and I meant no disrespect about the people that died for the name of the ship, im just saying the invincible class didn't not sound right on that carrier.

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by sminkeypinkey
It would be like me insulting the names of some of the USA's famous ship names, which I have not and would not do. There's real men suffered for those names show some respect.

Certainly not the USS Winston Churchill????? Just kidding I could not resist

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Westpoint, what you said before did seem a bit pompous, make sure you proof read your posts before you hit "post reply" so you dont have to keep correcting yourself
I like the names the Brits give their ships.. So what if the Invincible class isnt the largest class of ships in the world. Still impressive nonetheless.
Oh and i love how this has everything to do with the subject of Chinese aircraft carrier

[edit on 15-8-2004 by RealisticPatriot]

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 09:21 PM
link   
As an American I congratulate the British for finally building a fine Carrier to project CTOL planes, now maybe the British Navy will get some more respect as it deserves.

I also believe the CVX was cancelled, and now the next class of carriers will be even bigger than the Nimitz class, stay Nuclear, but incorporate the new technologies developed for CVX.

I am really interested in the mobile base ship system. A bunch of flat decked ships with an oil tanker's hull would steam to an area near a conflict, hook together, and then Bam! you have yourself a twomile long runway with support, hangar, and taxiways so that Air force Planes can land out at sea, no pesky base or refueling rights needed.

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Wow, they built a carrier, now let's see if they can keep it afloat. THanks for the pictures though.

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 04:02 AM
link   
CVN-77 George H.W. will incorporate new technology and have better systems that the nimitz calss carriers now when it comes out in 2008. Of course the carriers we are talking bout here are at least decade away from gong in production.

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Greetings,

I have noticed a some what interesting trend; so far where ever I look on this fine forum, I come across the same fixed mind set from some of the individuals that form part of the membership. This is some thing that confuses me, as this forum believes that it is helping to prevent ignorance, but when I see fixed mindsets start a p*ssing match with my service, or for that matter, my sister service, that the USA are the greatest, I have to restrain myself. 5 year olds talking about items which they have a very limited amount of knowledge/information about, really starts to chafe.

Now I will respond to some of the comments made by the people on this thread.

Nah...not yet the Chinese are not a threat to our air force or navy but in 20 years maybe if the US doesn't use or build new systems for our air force and navy then the china could catch up but as its going now they sure got a long way to go - Westpoint

This is an interesting point, but it appears that a bunch of poorly trained Arabs, Marsh Arabs and Bedouins are a threat to your Nation, yet these people are armed with light weapons... Interest, where do you get your information from Westpoint, why are the Chinese Air force not a threat to the Grand US Navy, when for the last, what is it 5 years you have been trying to prevent the sales of Russian Kilo Class Submarines to China, I suppose that they aren't a threat either. If not explain to me the US Gov and Navy mindset when it comes to, what your own country calls a developing nation, having a submarine force.

The biggest carrier after the Nimitz, I think is the French De gaul(sp). Which is pretty sad considering they only have one and they will never use it in war: China could build carriers from merchant ships like in WWII which can hold about 6-8 modern jets - Westpoint

I enjoy seeing comments like this, and I have a nice simple history lesson for people that make comments like that. Germany 1939 - 1945, They thought they where the greatest nation, that developed some of the greatest technology, much we still use today, they invaded nations where their presence wasn't wanted, lead by person who brought the nation together under a common goal of limiting the effects of one race/religious group. Now replace Germany with America. Look what happened to them Westpoint

Its nice to have some grounding in life, it stops all that hot air in your heads from getting you into orbit.

As an American I congratulate the British for finally building a fine Carrier to project CTOL planes, now maybe the British Navy will get some more respect as it deserves. - roniii259

To be honest, the United Kingdom still has the respect of many nations, and it hasn't changed for a very long time, we don't need huge carriers to demand respect, we have our professionalism, our training and respect for other nations. If you speak of the same respect that Iraqi people have for the US, nah you can keep it, we earned our reputation with our peace keeping duties, our willingness to go to a nation in need [Sudan] without some thing in return. That�s the respect that we want and earned.

Now, that I have got that out of the way, to the topic at hand. A Chinese Carrier in the short term will be of limited value, China have views of being one of the Superpowers, having an Aircraft Carrier, is one way of doing that. China's view of a Carrier Force is the same as the US's View, "Projection of Power". It will take the Chinese at least 3 years once they have an operational carrier to work on their operation, their employment and other technical matters before the carrier would be combat effective.

- Phil

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by sminkeypinkey

Originally posted by TACHYON
Im not sure about the British carrier defense systems, but the US has the Phalanx system desigend to combat incoming terminal missles.

- IIRC the UK bought Phalanx for the current Sea Harrier carriers, I don't know which version or about any up-dates though.

The Royal Navy uses a mixture of Phalanx and Goalkeeper CIWS, the most notable difference is that Goalkeeper has a bigger calibre.

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Well Said gooseuk, I agree.

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I guess this is what you would like to see...

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by gooseuk
Greetings,

I have noticed a some what interesting trend; so far where ever I look on this fine forum, I come across the same fixed mind set from some of the individuals that form part of the membership. This is some thing that confuses me, as this forum believes that it is helping to prevent ignorance, but when I see fixed mindsets start a p*ssing match with my service, or for that matter, my sister service, that the USA are the greatest, I have to restrain myself. 5 year olds talking about items which they have a very limited amount of knowledge/information about, really starts to chafe.

Now I will respond to some of the comments made by the people on this thread.

Nah...not yet the Chinese are not a threat to our air force or navy but in 20 years maybe if the US doesn't use or build new systems for our air force and navy then the china could catch up but as its going now they sure got a long way to go - Westpoint

This is an interesting point, but it appears that a bunch of poorly trained Arabs, Marsh Arabs and Bedouins are a threat to your Nation, yet these people are armed with light weapons... Interest, where do you get your information from Westpoint, why are the Chinese Air force not a threat to the Grand US Navy, when for the last, what is it 5 years you have been trying to prevent the sales of Russian Kilo Class Submarines to China, I suppose that they aren't a threat either. If not explain to me the US Gov and Navy mindset when it comes to, what your own country calls a developing nation, having a submarine force.

The biggest carrier after the Nimitz, I think is the French De gaul(sp). Which is pretty sad considering they only have one and they will never use it in war: China could build carriers from merchant ships like in WWII which can hold about 6-8 modern jets - Westpoint

I enjoy seeing comments like this, and I have a nice simple history lesson for people that make comments like that. Germany 1939 - 1945, They thought they where the greatest nation, that developed some of the greatest technology, much we still use today, they invaded nations where their presence wasn't wanted, lead by person who brought the nation together under a common goal of limiting the effects of one race/religious group. Now replace Germany with America. Look what happened to them Westpoint

Its nice to have some grounding in life, it stops all that hot air in your heads from getting you into orbit.

As an American I congratulate the British for finally building a fine Carrier to project CTOL planes, now maybe the British Navy will get some more respect as it deserves. - roniii259

To be honest, the United Kingdom still has the respect of many nations, and it hasn't changed for a very long time, we don't need huge carriers to demand respect, we have our professionalism, our training and respect for other nations. If you speak of the same respect that Iraqi people have for the US, nah you can keep it, we earned our reputation with our peace keeping duties, our willingness to go to a nation in need [Sudan] without some thing in return. That�s the respect that we want and earned.

Now, that I have got that out of the way, to the topic at hand. A Chinese Carrier in the short term will be of limited value, China have views of being one of the Superpowers, having an Aircraft Carrier, is one way of doing that. China's view of a Carrier Force is the same as the US's View, "Projection of Power". It will take the Chinese at least 3 years once they have an operational carrier to work on their operation, their employment and other technical matters before the carrier would be combat effective.

- Phil

well thats just dandy turning my complement into a sour puss, so ypur carriers stink! The UK will need US planes to operate because they cant afford to build ones of their own.

As for the US taking the place of Nzi germany we have no intention of staying in Iraq, we want to get out as quickly as possible. We do have high technology but we also invest heavily in training and tactics plus we do have significant numbers in comparison and its all linked to gether to maximize its effectiveness.

I also think that the carrier photo is fake because the Chinese lettering does not seem right in the picture.

[edit on 28-9-2004 by roniii259]

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 10:38 PM
link   
www.nwc.navy.mil...

Don't the UK have EuroFighters?

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Hi,

I've been reading the comments left in this thread and it really pisses me off how Americans insult the UK and its citizens this way. I wasn't born here in the UK, but in the Philippines, yes the Philippines.
I came here to the UK at the age 0f 6 & I've been bullied/discriminated against by people already living here just because I looked different. However, this hasn't stopped me from becoming a good, upstanding citizen & person that I am today.

Last year I applied to be in the RAF and even though I was told that I could join & that all I needed was to train, in the end I was rejected because of my race, despite the fact that I'm a British citizen & that there are no laws or rules that prohibit me from serving in the RAF only the intelligence department requires citizen's born in the UK or in any of the commonwealth countries. I spent nearly 3 months getting fit with the knowledge back then that I would be accepted, but my hopes were dashed & my dreams of becoming an RAF pilot shattered because I was denied of serving my country and HM Queen.

Anyway despite this I said to myself that I will prove you all wrong in some other way, so I went back to college and after a year I was able to finish my course as the classes highest achieving student not just in that year, but throughout the courses history because I was able to get a Distinction Star* which is the highest grade.

Now even though I have been bullied, descriminated because of my race and denied of serving HM the Queen and the British people, I would just like to say that this country has also been very good to me in other ways. I mean where can you find another country that looks after its people and foreigners whether they are illegal or not in such kind a decent way? Where else can you find free education & healthcare available to all? Free income support, child benefit, job seekers allowance or any other social benefits that are literally free.

You know something westpoint or any other American that is anti British. Sure we're not as big or as powerful as you are, but we spend only when we need to, not to show off our might. Our Neighbours France aren't the bravest of all people, no one is because no one is perfect, but you cannot forget that they once helped you fight the British so that you could gain your freedom. If it wasn't for the French, then America would not exist independently as a country. Also you shouldn't forget that the Bitish have always helped you in any situation and thats the reason why so many of our men & women are dying in Iraq and Afganistan everyday. My heart & prayers go out to their families.

Always remember that even though everyone else in the world has deserted you because your reputation has been damaged by your warmongering president, who's hands are stained with the blood of so many american servicemen & women that Britain will always be on your side as long as it is a righteous cause & not something like the Iraq/Afganistan war which the American government had no reason or proof to start in the first place.

I tell you all this now, that if WW3 ever comes & my country is short of volunteers that that I will be the first one to enlist in any department of the armed forces because I would gladly fight & die for this country, its people & HM the Queen. I was born a Filipino, but this is my home now so I can proudly say that I am proud to be British no matter what people think. Our armed forces are the most decorated armed forces in the world because although we do not have that much power anymore, we have our legacy & history to be proud of. We we're once an Empire that spanned the globe, so we must use our past experiences to teach the world how to govern right in a peacful way so that they won't repeat our mistakes.

I know its still in the future, but oneday the US will also experience this because no empire or civilization in history is invincible, i.e. the Roman Empire.

Long live Britania! :

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 06:20 AM
link   
The status of the Varyag is a strange one..whether or not they are actually going to try and finish her off for actual duty or are using her to "blueprint" what is required.
I tend to believe the Chinese will go through the evolutionary stages in terms of carrier building..ie helicopter carrier -> small "Ark Royal" type aircraft carrier -> then on to a medium sized CV capable of carrying CTOL aircraft.
The problem is that China can build ships of the size required..but requires time to develop the necessary skills in operating such vessels..skills that other nations have had for some time.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join