It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US and Europe on the hunt for Gaddafi money

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   

US and Europe on the hunt for Gaddafi money

www.allvoices.com

A freeze on assets in the name of Libyan ruler Muammar Gaddafi may be held by the United States and European governments.

As Gaddafi continues his brutal crackdown on civilians protesting his rule, the US State Department has said it is likely that an asset freeze may take place, given the Libyan ruler's reputation.

State Department spokesman P.J. Crowley said the measures would probably be taken against Gaddafi himself and some of the top members of his regime.

Crowley said the US would target those directly responsible for the violent clampdown on pro-democracy protesters.

T
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
What?

Don't get me wrong, he's a dictator, yes.

The issue is WHAT right do we, the West, have to involve ourselves yet again in another countries affairs?
The people of Libya may not WANT our help.

Regardless, he's been accused of lots of things over the years, yet only now we choose to involve ourselves?

This is a problem that only the Lybian people should be solving, until enough of them manage to build a separate government, then ASK for help?

What do you think?

www.allvoices.com

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheEyeofTruth

What?

Don't get me wrong, he's a dictator, yes.

The issue is WHAT right do we, the West, have to involve ourselves yet again in another countries affairs?
The people of Libya may not WANT our help.

Regardless, he's been accused of lots of things over the years, yet only now we choose to involve ourselves?

This is a problem that only the Lybian people should be solving, until enough of them manage to build a separate government, then ASK for help?

What do you think?

www.allvoices.com

I agree with you. But, its not just the west, their are plenty more governments with their hand in the pot.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
This isn't about "freezing" his assets.

It's about "redistributing" them in the name of moral justice!!!

In other words, it's the quickest and easiest way for the US and EU to make an estimated $60 billion or so off of this tragedy.

Sickening.
edit on 25-2-2011 by Dreine because: Dollar amount adjusted.

edit on 25-2-2011 by Dreine because: Forgot to mention EU.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Text Whitereply to post by TheEyeofTruth

Glad that you feel the same way. I was thinking that I would be the crazy one here.
Dude is a jerk but if the US can take away his assets, then what leader is actually sovereign?
What country for that matter? Welcome to the New World Order I guess?
Don't get me wrong... I think when people ask for help we should help them...
But... no one should have access to someone else's belongings. Unless it is proven
to have been acquired by theft and the victims can be proven.
But apparently anyone has the right to take someone's stuff as long as that person is naughty!

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by TheEyeofTruth

The last part is the "RELEVANT ONE "...
DEMOCRACY again...
Like in IRAQ right?!
I'm gonna go throw up a little more...
I often wonder : how long will it continue like this and WHAT IS THE LIMIT OF THIS "WORLD LEADERS/CRIMINALS" ?
"Crowley said the US would target those directly responsible for the violent clampdown on pro-democracy protesters. "

Be nice to America. Or we'll bring democracy to your country!
www.youtube.com...
edit on 25-2-2011 by leaualorin because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
It is almost announcing that if you don't Follow the New World Order then the New World Order and its One World Government will take everything away.

No more Kingdoms, No more Sovereign States, Democracy?

Democracy for who?
edit on 25-2-2011 by TheEyeofTruth because: Joy.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dreine

In other words, it's the quickest and easiest way for the US to make an estimated $60 billion or so off of this tragedy.

Sickening.

You are silly. I'm pretty sure the article said Europe and U.S.
Whats sickening is people who only do selective reading and only notice the part where it says U.S.
Maybe have someone who UNDERSTANDS what it really says, read and explain it to you?

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Democracy for the people!

The rich people!!!
The corporate people!!!
The elite people!!!

Just not "We the People"

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by SKinLaB

In other words, it's the quickest and easiest way for the US to make an estimated $60 billion or so off of this tragedy.

Sickening.

You are silly. I'm pretty sure the article said Europe and U.S.
Whats sickening is people who only do selective reading and only notice the part where it says U.S.
Maybe have someone who UNDERSTANDS what it really says, read and explain it to you?

Thank you for pointing out my error.
I meant the type the US and EU, not only the US.

And I can understand what it really says, so no thank you for an explanation.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by SKinLaB

Its fairly clear what it says. I do want to bring up that your avatar is very disturbing. Its like phantamosgoria, and a kind of channeling attempt. I refuse those permissions.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
You know what they say.... damned if you do and damned if you don't. People on both sides keep screaming "We should go in and help them! Then there's people screaming "They don't want our help!" Freezing his accounts means he can't pay off any more mercenaries to go shooting up the Libyan population. If he has no money, he has no resources to continue his tyranny. Do I want the U.S. or any European Government to benefit from these assets? No, I don't.... BUT I also wouldn't want him to be able to use them for evil deeds against his own people. In the end, locking him up in a deep, dark, lonely dungeon would be a much better solution, but I guess this is a start.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by 2manyquestions

I agree with locking him away, i just think it's up to the Lybian people to do it?

We should keep our noses out.

Shame is, in all likelyhood, it's one or all of our governments that has caused this in the first place.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
It looks as though it's accepted then, even here.

The New World Order is HERE.

12 replies. But only 1 flag.

It's not even news is it?
Lol

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
So yesterday on CNN a few people from LIBYA were on the phone pretty much BEGGING for US and EU help because their people are unarmed and being slaughtered by mercenaries from other African Countries. Gadhafi basically released the horde on them as most of the fighters killing Libyan's are uneducated and poor. They are saying that these fighters are getting paid some up to 2000 dollars a day to be there. The average income for the year for some of these people in the other countries is 2500 a YEAR.

I actually agree with us having a little involvement only with the express reason that we've heard a plea for help from MANY of their nationals and we have picture proof of the hundreds of basic rights being violated. As for freezing Gadhafi's assets, they can only freeze assets that he has stored in our banks to hold. The key however will be if we give those assets to whoever the new leader of Libya will be in order to maintain some sort of currency with value. Chances are however that Gadhafi has made off with whatever gold and resource valuables that he had.

I am actually surprised by some people that bring up the "what right do we have" argument because no matter how you look at it everyone has every right to defend civilians who can't. That is the basis of our Constitution in America. To make sure that no one is subject to rights violations like we're seeing. what you're saying is equivalent to seeing someone on the side of the road being beaten to a bloody pulp with no way to defend themselves and you just walking by without saying anything. This is partly the problem in the world is that everybody is out there to fend for themselves and nobody else extends any help to anyone unless there is some sort of gain.

I should point out that most likely however we are only involved because it involves some sort of gain. Most likely OIL
edit on 25-2-2011 by HellstormRising because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Seems to me that 'Laffy' Gaddafi isn't getting in line with the world's plans, huh? So, in the name of 'freedom for the people', the West is justifying its thievery of this quack's money? This is absurd. Libya's problems are Libya's problems, not anyone else's...unless...wait for it...it's a race to control the oil fields they have!!!

Remove the 'tyrant', seize his/her assets, entrance the people to accept your 'good' notions and viola you have vast amounts of oil that you can dispense to the citizens of your country who will use it all up in less than a year! Yay

When that's all (literally) dried up, then it's time to find the next scoundrel.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by HellstormRising
So yesterday on CNN a few people from LIBYA were on the phone pretty much BEGGING for US and EU help because their people are unarmed and being slaughtered by mercenaries from other African Countries. Gadhafi basically released the horde on them as most of the fighters killing Libyan's are uneducated and poor. They are saying that these fighters are getting paid some up to 2000 dollars a day to be there. The average income for the year for some of these people in the other countries is 2500 a YEAR.

You think the world should sieze his funds because of a couple of people on the phone?
It is CNN too? ....

I actually agree with us having a little involvement only with the express reason that we've heard a plea for help from MANY of their nationals and we have picture proof of the hundreds of basic rights being violated. As for freezing Gadhafi's assets, they can only freeze assets that he has stored in our banks to hold. The key however will be if we give those assets to whoever the new leader of Libya will be in order to maintain some sort of currency with value. Chances are however that Gadhafi has made off with whatever gold and resource valuables that he had.

I wonder if i shoot some videos, make some phone calls, screaming, gunfire they'll help me over throw the government of Haiti?

am actually surprised by some people that bring up the "what right do we have" argument because no matter how you look at it everyone has every right to defend civilians who can't. That is the basis of our Constitution in America. To make sure that no one is subject to rights violations like we're seeing. what you're saying is equivalent to seeing someone on the side of the road being beaten to a bloody pulp with no way to defend themselves and you just walking by without saying anything. This is partly the problem in the world is that everybody is out there to fend for themselves and nobody else extends any help to anyone unless there is some sort of gain.

I like the idea, but that's not how it works out in practice is it.

I should point out that most likely however we are only involved because it involves some sort of gain. Most likely OIL

AH, the light is ON.

This may be partly to do with OIL, but it more has to do with CONTROL.
Control of those Middle East nations that don't do as they are told.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheEyeofTruth
reply to post by 2manyquestions

I agree with locking him away, i just think it's up to the Lybian people to do it?

We should keep our noses out.

Shame is, in all likelyhood, it's one or all of our governments that has caused this in the first place.

It is up to the Libyan people to do it, but if they're unarmed and have no resources to fight the tyranny, maybe they would welcome a little help from the world, no? Some people will say that the Libyans are standing up to the tyranny because they've had enough of it. Some people will claim that the U.S. or Europe had something to do with the uprising. If that many people are willing to give up their lives for the right to protest, it means they've had enough and want change. I can't understand why anyone would defend Gaddafi in any way. As for the Oil,... you know what? Right now the Libyan people have almost no benefit from the oil. Gaddafi sells it and pockets the money. If Libyans decide to create a democracy or go with the Muslim brotherhood, at least when they sell the oil to foreign countries it will finally help them benefit from it. They need buyers for the oil, and we need to buy oil so why not? Seems fairly reasonable to me.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Not really.

If Gaddafi has no money he can't pay his thugs or buy weapons/outside help, and thus people stop dying.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
He's such a guy, I say let them reap what they sow let the world see where their own so called perfect moralities lead to, in truth the Libyans don't like their own leader while oppression and economic tactics makes them poor, can they not just call it Jihad, that so called spiritual suffering on an international scale while poverty is part of the parcel?

If they come to Europe I am sure they will demand Mosques next and your own liberties taken to court because they find you offensive, this goes on now in every European country by the hidden Islamic agenda to take over Europe. It cannot be coincidence that so many Muslims have come to Rome recently, they have been told to take over it by extremists and the ones who have not been told will ultimately agree of finding ways into power t take over sections of the city and no doubt this is going on at a rapid rate all over Europe while people sleep and defend Islam as a religion of peace. Tony Blair has a Muslim relative who wants him trialled for the Iraq war so I guess even Muslim family members will turn back on family at some point.

I say he is an extreamist at heart some people can never change, without Christ the Arabs will always be this way, be aginst democracy Christianity or Isreal or Jews, you don't fit into their world.

The Italian population in Libya almost disappeared after Gaddafi ordered the expulsion of Italians in 1970
Text

Cooperation with ItalyOn 30 August 2008, Gaddafi and Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi signed a historic cooperation treaty in Benghazi.[61][62][63] Under its terms, Italy will pay $5 billion to Libya as compensation for its former military occupation. In exchange, Libya will take measures to combat illegal immigration coming from its shores and boost investments in Italian companies.[62][64] The treaty was ratified by Italy on 6 February 2009,[61] and by Libya on 2 March, during a visit to Tripoli by Berlusconi

Text

During a two-day visit to Italy in August 2010 Gaddafi upset his hosts by stating that Europe should convert to Islam. It was during a lecture in front of 200 young women whom Gaddafi had paid a modeling agency to attend that he urged the women to convert to Islam and, according to one of them, said "Islam should become the religion of all of Europe." Each of the women was given a copy of the Qur'an.[75] Gaddafi, in a speech that aired on Al-Jazeera TV on April 10, 2006, said: "There are signs that Allah will grant Islam victory in Europe - without swords, without guns, without conquests. The 50 million Muslims of Europe will turn it into a Muslim continent within a few decades."
Text

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join