It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Navigational "Magic" Of Sea Turtles Explained

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I found this article in which biologist Ken Lohmann of the University of North Carolina, describes some interesting discoveries that have been made with respect to a sea turtle's ability to navigate and it has to do with their ability to detect minuscule variations in the earth's magnetic field.

www.wired.com...

Apparently, it has always been known that the turtles could detect their latitudinal location but it was considered to be impossible for them to detect their longitudinal location. According to this article, that myth has now been dispelled. It also goes on to state that they suspect that this ability may be present in other species such as birds.

Personally, I believe this phenomena is also part of a whale or dolphin's navigational system, biologically speaking, and I'm wondering if the current shifts in the earth's poles and the resulting changes in it's magnetic fields might be contributing to some of the groundings or beachings by whales and dolphins. Not to mention, the screwed up migratory patterns of birds being witnessed across the globe.

I understand that the earth's poles are always shifting but its usually a slow and steady process. After the big quake in S. America, I remember reading that the poles shifted some 2 degrees, almost overnight.

On top of that, I read numerous articles regarding the weakening of the earth's magnetic fields as we approach what some say, might be a complete reversal of the polarity of this planet. There have been numerous articles explaining that without those magnetic fields our planet and it's inhabitants are more susceptible to things like skin cancer etc... especially during the upcoming solar maximum. Almost sounds like a "perfect storm."

Anyway, these sea turtles are indeed fascinating creatures and I believe that much is to be learned, and forewarned, by studying the reaction of nature to the earth's changing magnetic fields. Kinda like the canary in the coal mine, if you know what I mean. Just thought I'd share my thoughts on the subject and hopefully get some of yours in return.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I think its just amazing how species can develop to literally work off of the earths magnetism. My question is how did this start. How did evolution "know" to have the turtle use this as a navigation tool, what was the process that made this happen? Very interesting article and thoughts. Flag for you!

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by logicalthinking

Yes it's absolutely amazing what nature can do. I even read that the Aborigines of Australia are able to feel the energy of leigh lines and that during their migrations they seem to use it as their map, so to speak. Of course, that's a topic for another thread, but the science behind it amazes me.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Flatfish

Do you know where you read this, maybe post a link. There are so many things yet to be learned that Im sure will amaze a lot of ppl. I love topics that get ya thinking, this would be one of them.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by logicalthinking

I really don't remember just exactly where I read or heard about their ability to detect leigh lines and I haven't been able to find any written material on the subject. I'm thinking that I might have heard this on the "Ancient Alien" series on the History channel. It almost seems as though it might have been David Wilcock that made those assertions, all I know is that I distinctly remember hearing it said.

top topics

join