It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If gas is $ 5.00 dollars a gallon?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I'd say carpooling will become a nationwide standard, and public transportation will make a huge comeback.

(Oh man, I should deck out my car like a Taxi!
Could be some income there...)

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
OP, you got to understand that in a big part of the world people dont have transportation other then mule, horse, bicycle or theire own two legs. In better parts of the world, people (like me) pay $8,50 a gallon. And when your really lucky, you live in the US and pay around $4 a gallon.
Many different suns, many different worlds.

But back to your questions: no, I wont drive a mile less no matter what the prices are. Maybe a smaller car.....
I drive a big US Chevrolet transporter....

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by smallblockchevy

no! the prices havnt always been high. IN november, december 2010, my local stations were selling 87 regualr at about $207 a gallon. When january 2011 came in, it quickly started to skyrocket. my local shell is now $3.62 a gallon! that was last week actually..havnt looked this week yet. when i got my liscense to drive in 1992..my mobile station sold 87 regualr for like $1.97 a gallon!! a guy from china i work with, came here in 1979...he was telling me, around southwest CT at the time..gas wa like 97 cnets a gallon. i knew a guy who moved years ago, form around here, remembers back in 1955 time era..gas was like 47 cents - 53 cents a gallon.
today, ethanol, has linked corn, milk, bread to it.basic necessitys of living. eggs to i belive. gas goes up in price, so does all this chemical, hormone, watered down, stripped and re inserted of nourishment crap we buy at a cost of $349 for a loaf of bread, and the same for a gallon of milk..put into BPA contaminated plastic prob too. god i remember when hal gallons came in carboard bottles! har to find those now, unless its organic milk. my father used to tell me in the 50's growing up , milk was delivered, or can be found in store, hour glass shaped bottle..thick milk, cream was ontop. today..water has more sonsistancy than milk

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
It will be business as usual.People will piss, moan and groan about it and pay it because "we do not have a choice". We do have a choice, we do not have to buy it. In this instant gratification world we live in, its not that we do not have a choice, we are simply unwilling to do without or inconvenience ourselves. If we could just understand that just cutting back to a bare minimum and dealing with only necessities, one week would send a powerful message. Before someone rips this apart, I do understand that there are exceptions and we must buy it, all I am saying is to cut it to a bare minimum, the real problem with getting people to go along with this that they cannot or do not want to distinguish the difference of a necessity and a want. Surely, we have not been dumbed down to the point we cant think and find alternate solutions for problems, the human species has been overcoming adversity for thousands of years, certainly people can be creative enough to work around this small dilemma.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I understand AHAMARLIN about people having to do without, my folks are from hungary and floated over on the boat to come to this great nation during the war so i know that part. But if its 8.50 in the uk its the gov fault, not like our gov is any better. Never understood the fact that your closer and pay more. I have no choice but to drive myself , I live the farthest out and cant carpool so im stuck. I say motorcycle for me and a small one at that.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
As long as investors and analysts see WE are going to pay $4.00 a gallon of milk..remember..prices always go up never down, except when on sale* i work in retail and prices do flucuate, most times good, sometimes bad. its oer time, when high prices become fixed/set. comapnys see yuor willing too pay so much for, lets s ay a can of soup, their gunna rasise the cost , becuase they see poeple are buying it so they can make money on it.
better to grow your own garden or something.. look at cereal. i remember in the news god like early 90's? about General mills raising thier food prices on thier cereal. skyrocketed almsot overnight! they felt as i if people wnated their prodcut, they would buy it. people did, so thats how they justified ripping the consumer off.
$4.00 a box of rice chex , wheaties, diabetics dream of corn pops and froot loops and fruity pebbles.. they dont taste like thier worth no $4.00 a box.
i actually see a day , in a jokingly manner lol, when yuode have to literlaly bring a wheelbarrow full of money jsut to get a loaf a bread
a full time job just to afford it for that matter lol

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Yes ZiGGy the prices will come up and fluctuate but we have no choice unless 100% subsistent. I was talking about the across the pond price of gas, it was $1.19 when i started driving. A local landfill wanted to run a recycling plant aroung here on their own methane and gov stepped in and said no.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Gas is over $3 per gallon in my area. What happened here? I thought prices were going down? Last time I put gas in my car it was $2.90. This was just last week. I only have $7 in my bank account. I do get paid today so I will have more moeny. If I only put $7 in my car that won't get me very far! I have not had a full tank of gas in 5 months due to gas prices.
I have a strict gas budget of $30-$40 per month. Once I hit that mark I stay home. The next apartment I rent will be within walking distance of businesses.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Four fuel pumps for me in 2 years from running on E, ( im glad they are free replacements ). I cant afford it now let alone a rise in price. Even thought about putting together a electric vehicle hybrid with a nash metropolitan. Deisel generator powered from waste oil and veggie, coupled to a forklift motor.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
www.walmart.com...
I just found this and they have electric ones as well. I am thinking of buying something like this because gas is crazy. Now of course I would only ride it short distances. As a kid i had a ten speed bike that was my main source of transportation. I would go up to three miles from my house.
I am really sick of gas prices. What other solutions are out there for transportation that is either manual or electric?

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Electric bikes are legal in ohio as long as they are ridden below 20 mph and are a certain kw ( i think ) rating. No insurance no tags no inspection, but only 20 mph thats how they get ya. They dont want cheap trans, it would kill the market.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Needs to be a bicycle that you can spool up a large flywheel with the peddles to attain a higher speed, and needs to be enclosed with four wheels, that would be nice, a bike car capable of say 35mph?

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
electric or batter powered scooters! thiers an idea
would suck in the rain though.
damn man! 4 fuel pumps in 2 years>? what happened? craped the fuel pump regulator out? i do know you shouldnt go below quarter of a tank, with any car. puts excesive stress on fuel pumps, electric ones anyways.
i did my own fuel pump, like 8 years ago..95 plymouth neon..but that was because, removing the fuel filter lines, i accidentlay broke a plastic spintle off the fuel pump :X that required a brand new pupm..dealer wanted like $400 for a new one! better model, was at autozone for like $175. learned to take my timend be careful after that incident! especially drianing the fuel outta the tank.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
that was NOT fun

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
America was engineered with guidance from the automotive and oil cartels with lots of roads and sprawling cities and neighborhoods with little to no public transportation. Most don't have much of a choice as commuting is the only way to survive via work.

Personally, I drive 100 miles per day, round trip to and from work. I will be forced to pay the higher prices regardless. If I do not buy gas I do not drive and if I do not drive I do not work. If I do not work I do not pay bills nor do I eat and I will eventually die. So really they have many American Citizens, as we will be forced to pay.

I suppose if it does come down to it, it may actually become cheaper to sell the car and move to a city and utilize public transportation.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I cut a hole in my bed under the liner, quick 15 min change for me. You still have to pay for the electric to charge the batteries unless you make your own. My tank is always 3/4 empty as i put it thus the need for all the pumps.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Just had a 4 day power outage in my area, and gas went up to $3.60 a gallon. Lots of people were using generators to get through the outage. I hope the price of gas does not go up any more.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
When oil hits $200 per barrel then:

1. Everything will increase in price from food to postage: simply everything.
2. Peoples budgets will be squashed by food and fuel price increases, this will lead to people having to stop spending on luxuries and nights out this will cost jobs, lots of jobs which will make the problem worse.

3. WAR, because of the above the US government will 'liberate' the fuel supply in the middle east and the people will support the move to get the economy moving again.

This could all be avoided if the US government just authorised some drilling in the massive untouched oilfields in the good old USA, shame they will not allow this until the rest of the worlds oil has dried up. They are playing the long game desperately trying to ensure they remain a world super power by hoarding their resources.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I to have a genny for when i need it, for the fridge and freezer mostly. I run my cabin on 12v 100% of the time as electric is to much to get where im at. I think a small diesel genset would be the wat to go, running used motoroil and veg waste oil, along with other things. Used oil is usually free to anyone who will take it, why give it back to be resold. Alot of the large sea ships run used motor oil, as it is cheap.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
It is not a matter of IF, it is a matter of WHEN.

We are going to have to make major changes in infrastructure.

Personally, I think these changes will be for the better.

Also, look for manufacturing to return to the U.S., due to the high costs of transportation..

edit on 25-2-2011 by poet1b because: typos

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join