It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Far Away is the Moon?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
What do you think?

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Yes. The majority of people don`t realise how far away it is and to think, all of those astronauts who flew that distance in the little rockets 40 years ago.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I normally do not like OP's with only a couple of words, and often will not even load the video..
However, in this case I actually learnt something

Yes. I failed. If he had came up to me on the street, I would of given more distance than the people in the beginning, but i would of kept both in my hands.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by lambros56

I'm even more amazed that we were able to get those fellows home when things went wrong (13), using less electrical and computing power than whats in my cell phone....

Funny how we always think ancient man was so advanced, while glossing over our own achievements.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
pretty interesting, however I would like more science than just him giving us the answer and saying everyone else is wrong. If you measure the size of a basketball and the size of the moon and give those figures, and then the distance between the earth and moon, and scale it down to say inches or feet, then we can at least see the math. I could do it if I wanted to but too busy right now.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles
I normally do not like OP's with only a couple of words, and often will not even load the video..
However, in this case I actually learnt something

Yes. I failed. If he had came up to me on the street, I would of given more distance than the people in the beginning, but i would of kept both in my hands.

I learned something here as well. I might have taken a step back from the basketball, but that would have been about it.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I guess this is related, for those that are interested, the largest scale model of the solar system...

Found in Sweden

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
I guess this is related, for those that are interested, the largest scale model of the solar system...

Found in Sweden

en.wikipedia.org...

Nice! Thanks!
nice thread too

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
So, we have learnt the relative distance using a Basketball as the Earth and a Tennis ball as the moon.

But it doesn't actually state how far away the moon is in miles.

I always believed it was approx 250,000 Miles away, is that right?

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I posted this image in another thread recently, but it applies to this thread as well:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fee707fd0e82.jpg[/atsimg]
image source: btc.montana.edu...

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I agree, ancient man is perceived by some to have known mystical powers because they moved and stacked huge rocks, it's that grasp some have that there is some secret society hiding real knowledge from us even though most of that knowledge is developed outside of governmental entities, who may fund such research but have little control over the real transfer of the Intellectual Property during the developments no matter what rock a person lives under, note, Oppenheimer, and the Russian Bomb development.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
NM - deleted my original post

I would like to say thanks for posting this to the OP, as I have been looking for something like this for years.
edit on 27-2-2011 by C.H.U.D. because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join