It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google declares war on content farms

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Google has announced a major algorithmic change to its search engine, subtle in nature and perhaps unnoticeable to many users, but one that should dramatically improve the quality of Google's search results.

With this move, Google is targeting content farms -- a common name for low quality sites whose main goal is to attract search traffic by piling up (mostly) useless content, usually by either producing large amounts of low-quality text or by copying it from websites with original content.

Google does not go into details of the change which should impact 11.8 percent of Google's queries (currently only in the U.S., with plans to roll it out elsewhere over time), but it does say that it will affect the ranking of many sites on the web

How will ATS be Ranked??

I admit I copied this info from another site...

edition.cnn.com... Link
edit on 25-2-2011 by grindhouzer because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-2-2011 by grindhouzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Just yesterday I was running some searches and sure enough I was getting pages upon pages on Google that were nothing but these content farm sites. Tons of ads and plenty of nonsensical text that did not contain any relevant information except for the strings that I was searching for. These sites generally don't watch the quality of their ads either, with pop-ups, video, audio files and junk filling your screen.

Definitely shouldn't affect ATS, imo, and a welcome cause if they do it right.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by grindhouzer

Probably not. ATS used to have a few tricks in their page formatting that would increase their google rank (eg, the 'colorshift' trick), but they currently seem to be on the straight and narrow.

This change seems to be targeting the fake domains that are nothing but links to garbage, obviously just thrown together to ape actual useful sites, for purposes to making the google-bot think it's 'popular'.

Google could definitely use some improving; their engine sucks at determining 'first sources'. Most of my technical searches result in hits that are just aggregated copy-and-pastes of other valid sites -- the original article I may be looking for is usually somewhere below the top five results.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   
As long as ATS is untouched, I'm 100 percent for this. I HATE those useless sites that basically force you to look at ads and then just link you to another of the same exact site lol. It's one of the most nerve-racking things about the internet.

new topics

top topics

join