It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Invisibility cloak enters the real world

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Invisibility cloak enters the real world

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/90a3f5b0f6d4.jpg[/atsimg]
SOURCE

But a new study at the University of Birmingham has taken a massive step forward by making a paper clip invisible – an object thousands of times bigger than previous experiments.

The research works by using a naturally forming crystal called calcite which has extraordinary light bending abilities.

By placing the crystals over an object it "bounces" light around it rendering it totally invisible to the naked eye.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
theage.com.au

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 25-2-2011 by millicake because: External link's fixed.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   
WHOA!!! that is some pritty amazing technology. What's next after this????

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 05:13 AM
link   
reply to post by millicake

That's it ...
we're f...

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 05:43 AM
link   
That looks very much different than the past videos, such as the "invisibility cloak"

Looks like it's been upgraded to more solid material. You also have to remember that military technology is supposedly 40 years farther than today's technology. So I wouldn't be surprised if there are invisible men and women walking around with full body invisibility clothes on with silent foot steps hanging around my house all day...

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Am I the only one who doesn't see anything being hid in the video I see the crystal being blurry but that could just be camera focusing. I don't even see a paperclip in the video and I'm aware of the Irony of that sentence given the subject matter.

If it's simply a big crystal prism they are tilting what is the point everyone knows you can distort light through crystals already and I don't see a future for it either unless soldiers are going to carry gigantic crystals bigger than themselves about with them.

Maybe there is something exciting being show here but they need to make a better video.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   
The idea is great but its still a million miles from a proper usage.

At the moment the best you get is a 'Predator' style cloaking but I think its a long way off the real thing..

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mizzijr
That looks very much different than the past videos, such as the "invisibility cloak"

Fixed your external video clip post.

Originally posted by Teknikal
I don't even see a paperclip in the video and I'm aware of the Irony of that sentence given the subject matter.

The video demonstrates the use of the crystal. The paper-clip article came out 14 day's prior to the video. I provided both the article and the video to provide a visual demonstration of the technique.
edit on 25-2-2011 by millicake because: Links fixed.

new topics

top topics

join