It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what's with the allowed racism here?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Well make of this as you want the only reason a word would have this sort of effect on someone is if they have issues in regards to such things; in other words it is the racist who empowers such words.

Seriously, there is no way that the word Paki will ever mean anything to me than a reference to a person's origin. Be it genetic or otherwise it is just a reference to a physical location.

Embrace the negative word in a positive way, I am sure that Aliens do not mind being confused as being "Non-American" and only here for the jobs!

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I restate my earlier question.

Why should a term referencing a person's country of origin or ethnicity be considered a slur? (Especially when the same sort of contraction is used for people of every other country and it is not a slur in any of those cases.)

Answer: Because the English made it so. They collectively attributed negative characteristics and generalizations to people from Pakistan. They made being Pakistani a bad thing. If being Pakistani was a good thing, "Paki" would have no negative connotation. What this issue is really about, therefore, is that the English are, as a group/as a society, prejudiced!

There is no other way to look at this. This word would not be any more of a slur than a contraction of any other cultures name except for the way the English have traditionally looked upon the people from Pakistan.

The problem is not the word, it is the attitude of the English. As a Canadian I will admit that the term also is or was used in Canada in the same derogatory way at one point in time. Most people here have gotten past that. Maybe its easier to change when there are fewer people.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by wayno

And the basis of your arguement against prejudism is a blatant prejudice against 'English'.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
All of this over one word with different meanings to different people in different places.......
I guess if there is nothing better to complain about this'll do.
Lots of people on here use different terms for different things and yet this is the one to get upset about? Wow??

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Has anyone else in England noticed how many of the news readers no longer say "Paki-stan" but now say "Park-i-stan".

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
reply to post by wayno

And the basis of your arguement against prejudism is a blatant prejudice against 'English'.

Is there anything incorrect about what I said? No. Therefore it isn't prejudice against the English, it is just the facts. I am not suggesting all Englishmen are this way, just a relatively higher proportion of your population than in other places. Perhaps you have had a negative experience with the way immigration from Pakistan has worked. I think you may have, and that was probably due to the level of angst and ill feeling of the common Englishman towards others in their midst who they saw as below them.

Just sayin. No need to get defensive.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by wayno

Not being defensive, just pointing out your blatant prejudice against 'The English'.

And your whole arguement is based upon a lie.

It isn't 'The English' who found it offensive, it was the people of Pakistani and other Asian descent who found it offensive when being called it.
It was they who complained and actively campaigned against it's useage.

So maybe it's down to 'Pakistani negativety' whatever that may be, (you still haven't exactly explained what 'British negativety' is yet!], but then again that won't fit into your bigotted, anti-English take on things.

And your generalisation of 'The English' and 'English society' is just so wide of the mark that it can only be described as laughable and pathetic.
Do you mind if I ask on what do you base that ridiculous and innacurate gross gneralisation?

And maybe if you bothered to read my previous posts and actually think about them you will see that I have given my personal thoughts on this subject.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousFem
reply to post by Grumble

In the UNITED KINGDOM is does, if caught using that comment or remark, it could lead to that person being charged with racism. Wich could lead to a jail sentence.

And this is why the British have no more relevance to society, and their culture will languish in mediocrity. In fact, the repercussions could be far more serious, but I'm in no condition to judge that because I'm not versed enough in history, sociology, psychology, or any science relevant to the overarching political effects of speech restriction.

Freedom of speech is in our first amendment, and it should be a universal right. It doesn't mean "freedom of speech, unless you're going to offend somebody." The purpose of free speech is to prevent the stifling of ideas and communication with the fear of legal consequences, and when you start adding "ifs, ands, and buts" to free speech, it is no longer, IN ANY WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM, free speech.

Arresting someone for saying "paki" is the same as beheading someone for drawing Muhammad. It you support one, you should probably support the other, because they're both terrorism.

That's why we've taken Jim Jefferies from the limeys, and we're taking Ricky Gervais too, you don't deserve them. When you vote all of the schmucks out of office that have caused this "nanny state" crap, we'll talk.

For a clear example of how unfettered free speech allows brilliant art to come out of horribly offense rhetoric, here is an improved line on a radio show uttered by the brilliant Louis CK.

If awful "words" in a lighthearted atmosphere offend you, then just don't listen. You're not mature enough; it's not for you.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by inforeal
reply to post by justyc

1-I agree 100 percent. I haven’t seen the word used but if I do I will protest it. I think there is a double standard here. If this is an international forum then they should be aware that people from Pakistan and immigrants in the west from Pakistan likely are a part of the forum, therefore they should afford those people the same consideration they afford other groups.

2-If they won’t then we should enforce this ourselves.

When these slurs are used I will directly confront the poster and call them out and label them the bigots they are.

3-And I just don’t mean slurs against minorities but also against White people as well

I have numbered your quotes to make it easier matey
1- Agreed,but (yes always a but) This word,lets call it the P-word,is only a racial slur in the UK to imply that all Pakistanis in Pakistan and ones living in the west would be offended is a very long bow to draw my friend,
Have you ever used the word Dutchman ? My mums partner is Dutch and refers to himself as a Dutchman,as do other Dutch people i know,no prob's there? but alas there is a problem,it's a racial slur in Pennsylvania in the US,

Dutchman noun. (1) 19th century on, Dutch being corrupted from the Pennsylvania German self-descriptive word Deitsch. Anyone of Germanic heritage (as with Anglo-Celtic Pennsylvanians) a Pennsylvania German; (2) (mid-19th century to 1920s) a foreigner, especially one who does not speak English well; (3) a bar keeper;[67] (4) anglophone South African whites, used for Afrikaner[68] E

2- Maybe instead of going on a rampage and labelling people bigots,you could possibly pm the person and explain it's a racial slur in your neck of the woods and nicely ask the person to refrain from using it,if they are not a bigoted type person it should not be a problem,remember if you explain the situation to a person they will usually be fine and listen to what you have to say,Come in guns blazing and start throwing racist and bigot at peeps, who may well be using a word that has no racist connotations in their part of the world,you will be met with anger and probably some harsh word's to boot,which one would expect when you accuse a person of being racist for using a word that is harmless in their country,So maybe "to label them the bigots they are" on open forum is a bit over the top,and very bloody rude
,maybe the word "mate" is a racial slur somewhere does that mean every Aussie is a racist bigot because they use the word?i

3-Good luck with that mate,the Yanks and the jews cop it big time here,the west in general gets a good pasting here most days,Hell the confused grammar policewomen even label's the whole of Australia a racist nation because the P-word is used here as an abbreviation for Pakistani and has no racial connotations in Australia what so ever,would you shut her down?

Remember guys and girls you may have a good valid point to make,but if you carry on calling people names and acting all hysterical your message will be lost and ye shall be dubbed a nutter ,

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Sunsetspawn

You are quite welcome to Ricky Gervais, he's hardly ground breaking or original and quite objectionable off-screen.
I prefer my comedy slightly more irreverent.

The rest of your post is nonsense.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Frankie Boyle is one of the funniest men of recent times, but the sketches in Tramadol nights are awful, I only watch it for his joke segments.

Shame he never stayed on mock the week.
edit on 28/2/11 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 05:13 AM
link   
I don't think using the word paki is offensive in itself, the context and tone of using it can make it so though. I know many of Pakistani descent that don't mind it, yet will find the same word offensive if used as i said in a belittling and provocative manner.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by justyc
twice recently i have made an alert to staff over the use of the term 'paki' which i saw in two separate threads (which in most countries is like calling a black person a n****r).

not only have i seen that no action has been taken and the work corrected to say 'pakistani' instead, but a quick search shows that this term is used often here and i notice i am not the only person who brings this point to light (though i don't know how many others have complained to staff about it's use). i haven't heard back from any staff about it.

so, is it officially ok then that this offensive term is used here without correction?

I've never even heard of this word before, and I have yet to see it on ATS... Anyway there are tons of American and atheist hating threads, both of which I am, and I don't really give a damn about that. Just my 2 cents.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

I agree.
The sketches are pretty hit and miss and protracted, a perfect example is the Knight Rider sketch in one of the clips provided - great idea but just goes on far too long.

He's great as a stand -up and panels show guest etc and his book is hilarious in places.

Mock The Week is an excellent show which showcases some very talented people and Dara O'Briain is perfect as the host.

They would have a field day with the topic of this thread!

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I think the assumption here was that within the OP's realm of knowledge, it was classified as racist world-wide...when in fact, it is not. Perhaps only within his experience, nation and culture.

Do all of our Foreign members here realize that in the States (maybe elsewhere too) that blacks (Africian Americans etc) call themSELVES the "N"----R word? It is acceptable for them, but not other races to refer to them that way.

And as offensive as it is...its still used in a "Yo!" Whaz up!" kinda way. (More disturbing is when my anglo-white nephew calls his white bros that)...because its cool.....

Me-thinks the very word "racist" and "racism" are nasty words themselves

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Maybe someone should come up with a universal dictionary on racist words. I do not know half the racist words or phrases of other countries. I am Filipino/Irish
. Call me a Fob, Boatnik, Flip whatever. A word is the least of our problems. Remember it only has the power we give it. I am also A lesbian. Call me lezbo, queer, dyke or other words you may think will hurt me. I am a woman and so many words can be used to hurtfully describe a woman. I give these words no power therefore they have none. People who use words strictly to be racist or hurtful will eventually stop if no one gives them the light of day. Look at the word Queer..it used to be a horrible thing to call someone now homosexuals took it and embraced it as theirs. The word 'n-word' ( yes I spelled it out. I do not understand why people spell out all other racist words except this one), It is used amongst black people to each other....they turned it around and used it for empowerment. Now only they are allowed to use it. See take a word and turn it around to your advantage. I am not racist although I am Filipino/Irish I was adopted by a black family from Macomb Mississippi and raised in Long Beach Ca. Now I can tell you the words that pissed off my mom the most, being called an African American.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by controldiction

I think it is funny that I spelled out the notorious "N" word on my comment but it automatically corrected itself as "n-word". But all the other racist hurtful words I spelled out stayed. Now if I was to cause a stink...I could say that that is racist in itself. What gives you the right to chose one word over another as being worse. Does it hurt more than other racist hurtful words. This is one of the main reasons for racism. I was not on the Op side at first but hey who is to say that spelling out Paki is not as harmful to him. And for those of you whom have said they have friends that call each other Paki well look at the other words I describe in my last comment...just because they call each other that does it make it right for anyone else. I don't know...this is all too confusing. I mean where is the rule book or do we all together individually make it up as we go along. Come on people words are over rated because we make it that way. I am not condoning calling people what are labled as racist words but just let it go..ignore it. Painfull words will have no meaning to the person saying them if the person receiving it ignores.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
If I was using a word, or term quite innocently, to then be told that some sections of society found it offensive, I certainly wouldn't argue the toss and claim that they were wrong.
I would take it as an education, respect their view and refrain from using the said word or term.
To do anything else would be ignorant, rude, selfish, and arrogant.
Since when did someone's right to offend supercede anothers right to not be offended and be treated with respect and common courtesy.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
For moderation purposes....we typically go with "globally accepted as racist" when adjudicating racism. This post is the first and only instance I've ever seen in pointing out "Paki" as a racist term...and so, this is likely why no action was taken.

Don't blame the staff or even the membership, but the global community, who don't seem to have (as yet) accepted it as a racist term. Sounds like just an abbreviation to me...like calling a Briton a "Brit"...

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
girls call me sexy mexi, but i digress.....LOL i believe the correct term for people from pakistan would be pakistani. i have not met very many pakistani people in my life and did not know that "pa**" was a derogatory term. now that i know i will refrain from ever using it.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join