It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

what's with the allowed racism here?

page: 5
9
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by wayno
I think people here are missing the issue; including the OP.

Paki, was a legitimate term to name people from the country of Pakistan. The Brits made it into a derogatory term because they intended to deride those people. What was an OK term became a not OK one because the Brits made it so. So now we all have to accept their derision of a whole people???

Perhaps its time for the Brits to lose their negativity. They should change, not the rest of us. Being from Pakistan should not have judgment assigned to it any more than being a yank from America or a Limey from wherever they come from ....


What complete nonsense!
Have you ever asked anyone of Pakistani origin if they find it offensive?
Have you ever actually met anyone of Pakistani origin?

I assure you, the vast majority of them are offeded when called Paki, same as the vast majority of Black people are offended when called 'Nigger' or Chinese people called 'Chinky' or Spanish being called 'Spic' etc.

I has absolutely nothing to do with British 'negativety'. (I would really like you to try and explain or expound upon that but I think it could derail the thread).




posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn
 


As i have said i will not use the word so i don't offend any UK people,But i fail to understand why the hell people from the UK can't comprehend IT'S NOT A BLOODY RACIAL SLUR IN AUSTRALIA OR THE USA,is it really that hard?

Have you ever asked anyone of Pakistani origin that lives in Australia if they find it offensive?
Have you ever actually met anyone of Pakistani origin that lives in Australia ?

Seeing that it's a British racial slur and not an Aussie or American one it would appear that it has everything to do with British negativity towards Pakistanis and British racism towards Pakistanis,



posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:59 AM
link   
ITT: the brits try to make the pakis hate themselves

everyone else high fives the pakis



posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 05:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn
 


Thats as may be but as demonstrated by others in this thread, just becuase it may have derogatory uses here in the UK does not mean the rest of the world sees it as such. That being the case you cannot simply descriminate against one group of people and tell them use of the word in unnacceptable when it is perfectly exceptable by everyone else, including Pakistanis. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. If people feel offended by the use of the word, that's fine, that's their right. But that does not mean they have the right to dictate to others whether they can or cannot use the term.



posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Travlla
 


I understand, and to an extent, agree with some of what you say....but I really don't get the 'British negativety' bit.
What negativety?
How does it relate to this.

The simple fact of the matter is that here in the UK, for various reasons, the term 'Paki' has come to be viewed as racist and derogatory.
The why's and rights of it are irrelevant.

I am sure there are words that are deemed racist or unacceptable in Australia or USA which are viewed as totally innocuous here in the UK, would that be viewed as Australian or American 'negativety' or would be turned around and again portrayed as some British failing?

If you read my first post in this thread you will see that I recognise the absurdity of it, but we live in a real world and we have to deal with facts.



posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn
 


I think it's better to deal with the absurdity. If people had a thicker skin and stopped letting silly name calling offend them then there wouldn't be an issue, the power of the words themselves would be effectively neutered and would become meaningless.



posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   
reply to post by quackers
 


So it's ok to call black people 'n-word' if it's not intended as a slur or because SOME black people don't find it offensive?



posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Its not just that it is offensive to Pakistanis in the Uk, it's because the term was basically used for anyone who wasn't white or Afro carribean, So anyone who was from the subcontinent was labelled as a paki by racists, even if they were from india, bangledesh basically anyone with a darker shade of skin.



posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 05:18 AM
link   
I am heavily offended by the word ship as my people were once ripped from there homelands and transported here via ships.
If it wasn't for ships my people would be frolicking in there homeland, eating blueberrys.

The people of australia were discriminated against from being part of a low socioeconomic heritage and were hence shiped to van-demons land.

ship and any mention of them sadden our people, we here by decree that the word ship be never used again.



posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by quackers
 


Of course, but unfortunately people are people....very little get's me rattled, I have thick skin and broad shoulders, but the vast majority of people in this world are a tadge more sensitive...and we have to respect that.



posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by thestink
I am heavily offended by the word ship as my people were once ripped from there homelands and transported here via ships.
If it wasn't for ships my people would be frolicking in there homeland, eating blueberrys.

The people of australia were discriminated against from being part of a low socioeconomic heritage and were hence shiped to van-demons land.

ship and any mention of them sadden our people, we here by decree that the word ship be never used again.


I'm with you mate
screw it the next Englander that calls me an Aussie,a colonial or uses the S word is going down


I will let you poms in on a lil secret,Explain to us naughty colonials that the wordt offends you and we more than likely stop using it ,But carry on like spoilt brats and to threaten rat us out the mods and we will get our backs up big time,
Freeborn this comment is not directed at you,
edit on 26/2/2011 by Travlla because: more humor




posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn
 


Yes. Thankfully not everyone is offended by the use of the word. Of course context is everything, but when all is said and done, it's just a word. The cynical side of me thinks that certain sections of society want it to remain offensive simply so they have something to complain about. It's much like anything else taboo, telling people they can't do it won't stop them, it simply adds fuel to the fire.



posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 05:44 AM
link   
I've been wondering about this question for years. it's quite plainly acceptable on ATS to post racial hatred against some groups (Arabs, Roma) but not others (Whites). There are also groups such as Jews and blacks, who it's sometimes okay to bash, sometimes not. You can alert and complain all you like, but unless the post is talking about some variety of white person, or uses overt American slurs ('n-word', kike, chink, etc) nothing will be done about it.

I just assume that this is due to the groups in question not being well-represented on ATS. This presents what I figure is the biggest flaw in an otherwise very good site.

Of course, we seem to have stopped enforcing that rule about posting false and misleading information, too...



posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by quackers
reply to post by Freeborn
 


Yes. Thankfully not everyone is offended by the use of the word. Of course context is everything, but when all is said and done, it's just a word. The cynical side of me thinks that certain sections of society want it to remain offensive simply so they have something to complain about. It's much like anything else taboo, telling people they can't do it won't stop them, it simply adds fuel to the fire.



Of course it's just a word, but so are all the expletives that the majority of us use in everyday conversation but which we are forbidden to use here on ATS.
It is about respecting other people's sensibilities and being civil.

And yes, far too many people want it to remain offensive and use and manipulate instances of it's useage to pursue their agenda's.
Far too many people use the 'race card' at any opportunity.
Let's not give them further ammunition by being unnecessarily disrespectful and offensive.



posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox
I've been wondering about this question for years. it's quite plainly acceptable on ATS to post racial hatred against some groups (Arabs, Roma) but not others (Whites). There are also groups such as Jews and blacks, who it's sometimes okay to bash, sometimes not. You can alert and complain all you like, but unless the post is talking about some variety of white person, or uses overt American slurs ('n-word', kike, chink, etc) nothing will be done about it.

I just assume that this is due to the groups in question not being well-represented on ATS. This presents what I figure is the biggest flaw in an otherwise very good site.

Of course, we seem to have stopped enforcing that rule about posting false and misleading information, too...


Please mate pull the other one it plays jingle bells ,the Jews and Americans cop more flack here than mst,Anyone mention something bad a muslim might have done a heap of people call you a racists/bigot even if what you are saying is true,A muslim man stubs his toe in Iran wand it's the west's fault ,Oh and by the way Mr fox i have noticed your prejiduce to Aussies as well
edit on 26/2/2011 by Travlla because: (no reason given)

edit on 26/2/2011 by Travlla because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Travlla
 


If by "prejudice" you mean where I had a laugh at the fact that a bunch of people who refused to integrate with the locals are now griping about a bunch of people who refuse to integrate with the locals, then yeah. 'Cause that's just hilarious on so many levels.

And yeah, I'll call people racist when they say asinine racist crap. And the entire point is that ATS is catering to them so that they can post asinine racist crap.
edit on 26/2/2011 by TheWalkingFox because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox
reply to post by Travlla
 


If by "prejudice" you mean where I had a laugh at the fact that a bunch of people who refused to integrate with the locals are now griping about a bunch of people who refuse to integrate with the locals, then yeah. 'Cause that's just hilarious on so many levels.

And yeah, I'll call you a racist when you say asinine racist crap. And the entire point is that ATS is catering to you so that you can post asinine racist crap.

So simple, even an Aussie could figure it out

edit on 26/2/2011 by TheWalkingFox because: (no reason given)


How can you be so blatantly racist towards my people!!! I am offended and saddened.
Myself, or anyone alive today had no part in the stolen generation or the treatment of the aboriginal population.
Our government has apologized and given massive reparations to the indigenous population.
so much so the average aborigine can live a better life then the average Australian.

reffering to my people as "simple" is truly the lowest of the lows,



posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by wayno

or a Limey from wherever they come from ....


Wayno,
A Limey is from Britain, The term is used by many Americans to refer to us guys. Something about always eating limes to fight off the scurvey back in the day. An American freind told me that and when I worked over there and I used to get called it often. I never sensed any malice in it's use and it never bothered me in the slightest.

I get called POME (pronounced "pommy") by my Aussie mates with reference to me being a Prisoner Of her Majesties Empire - That's kind of quaint.....


PEACE,
RK



edit on 26-2-2011 by Rigel Kent because: for grammar



posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Travlla

Wow i didn't know Fern Tree Gully was so culturally different than Ringwood,or the rest of Melbourne and Australia for that matter,what are these "most situations" you speak of ? Please don't give me some crap about the UK either,I'm talking about Oz here, ....

It way well be a racists slur in the UK but to imply it is in Australia is pure BS,

You can talk about Oz all you like, but for an Aussie to assume another person is talking about Australia when they are posting on a world-wide forum is a trifle egocentric..

Have you any idea how small a proportion of the world population currently resides in Australia?



posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kailassa

Originally posted by Travlla

Wow i didn't know Fern Tree Gully was so culturally different than Ringwood,or the rest of Melbourne and Australia for that matter,what are these "most situations" you speak of ? Please don't give me some crap about the UK either,I'm talking about Oz here, ....

It way well be a racists slur in the UK but to imply it is in Australia is pure BS,

You can talk about Oz all you like, but for an Aussie to assume another person is talking about Australia when they are posting on a world-wide forum is a trifle egocentric..

Have you any idea how small a proportion of the world population currently resides in Australia?



But it's ok for the Brits to assume that because it's a racial insult in the UK,its a racial insult the world over ?For a Brit to assume another person is talking about the UK when they are posting on a world wide forum is a trifle egocentric,

Yes i know the population of Oz and i know the population of the world,
This word appears to be a racial slur in the UK only.do you know how small a proportion of the the worlds population reside in the UK?


As i have stated many times in this thread i will not use that word(not that it's a word i often use) so as not to offend the Brits,can i be any clearer on that ?BUT i will not have peeps from the UK tell me it's a racial slur in Australia when it clearly not,is that so hard to understand?



new topics

top topics



 
9
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

log in

join