It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what's with the allowed racism here?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

Frankly, that's a point I have already addressed.

Even more frankly, I care not a jot what people in other countries do or do not consider to be racist.

I live in the UK and it is and always has been used as a racist term in this country, and usually is preceded by a profanity beginning with "F"
It's not PC at all, this is a phrase which was long ago hijacked by racist right wing groups to put people of a particular racial background, down and stir up trouble - it was known as "paki bashing" when gangs of youths and young men would walk the streets looking for people of asian background to beat up just because of where they were from, either themselves or their heritage.

Get off a plane, walk up to an asian man, call him a "paki" and see what happens.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   
A prick is a prick. An A#SEHOLE, is an A#SEHOLE. Colour doesn't come into it. Only a rasist would try to bring this debate up.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   
For the last time, men, plurals don't take apostrophes! What is so hard to understand about that?
edit on 25/2/11 by Vicky32 because: Trying to fix formatting!

edit on 25/2/11 by Vicky32 because: Trying to fix formatting! and it wouldn't work, sigh

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   
In most of today's society people who use these kinds of terms bring more negative attemtion to themselves than to the person they are directed at. I cringe anytime I hear someone use these terms in real life. It makes the speaker look ignorant, backward, prejudiced, a simpleton, and Big Time Loser.

But that is just me. He may impress his buddies but that is a shrinking group of misfits with which to be associated with, at least here in Canada. I can't speak for GB which seems to harbour a lot more prejudice in its population than here.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by wayno
I can't speak for GB which seems to harbour a lot more prejudice in its population than here.

You're #ting me, right?
Canada is regrettably very culturally close to its neighbour to the south as far as prejudice goes. You're just bigger hypocrites about it.
Americans let their seething cauldrons of prejudice and hatred boil over all the time. Canadians lie.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by budski

Get off a plane, walk up to an asian man, call him a "paki" and see what happens.

I've done it many times..Spent half my life overseas..
You're dreaming if you think most consider the word paki racist..
I had many "pakis" working for me and never have I heard that...
edit on 25-2-2011 by backinblack because: grammar police check

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vicky32

For the last time, men, plurals don't take apostrophes! What is so hard to understand about that?

edit on 25/2/11 by Vicky32 because: Trying to fix formatting! and it wouldn't work, sigh

Run guys, it's the grammar police..

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   
I agree, I was shocked to see that word being used and accepted by the mods here too.

I suppose if you look at it the other way around, we in the UK can post the word wanker and not get a ban as it's only a swear word used here in the UK.

(I hope....watch me get a ban now)

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   
There are terms in some countries that have no meaning in other countries because history is different. Negro was a term that meant black that was changed into the derogatory politically incorrect term that referred to black people. Then the term was changed to People of Color which got turned into the term Colored People, which got used for derogatory purposes. We now have the term black, which I have heard that there is arguments over whether this should be used or not do to it being used in a derogatory way.

Hitler used the swastika as his symbol which now stands for a symbol of evil and is even forbidden to be used in many places. What was once a symbol that was used for thousands of years, even predating Egyptian culture, once having a meaning to be good is now a hated and unused symbol.

My point is that we allow people to make words that were harmless into words of evil. We as a society need to move past these things, as it is these things that breed hatred, and hatred breeds wars. Though we may not remember the first person to use terms to instill hatred their legacy lives on by allowing these words to mean hateful things. Instead of banning words from being used the best way to handle it is to use them in their correct context and do not allow the hate mongers to win.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

Run guys, it's the grammar police..

Simple, learn the lesson, please I beg you, before one of us dies!
It's easy enough. Children who don't spend every day hypnotised by TV can learn it, so you ought to be able to!

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   
If they are from Pakistan, why is that racist calling them a Paki? Do you find it racist to call someone from Britain a Brit, or an Australian a Aussie, or someone from Afghanistan a Afghani, or someone from the U.S a barbarian?

I can understand if you are calling an Asian a Paki though. Unless they are an Asian from Pakistan.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Vicky32

My god i misused 2 apostrophes ,what the hell am i gonna do now
the horror the horror........................

What do "we" say about Australians ?
I'm sorry but it's not a racial slur in Oz,that's just the way it is,Pakistani peeps don't take it offensively,and refer to themselves by that name,
It appears to be an offensive word to some UK members,but not others,It doesn't appear to be a racists word in the States either,
Just because it's a slur were you come from doesn't mean it is the world over,Asking someone if they wanted to eat some spotted dick in some parts of world would be offensive also,not everyone outside the UK knows its a pudding,

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Other "racist" and deragatory terms are thrown around on here all the time. I guess if it bothers you there are other boards, just don't see what the big deal is.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   

I can't speak for GB which seems to harbour a lot more prejudice in its population than here.

You're #ting me, right?
Canada is regrettably very culturally close to its neighbour to the south as far as prejudice goes. You're just bigger hypocrites about it.
Americans let their seething cauldrons of prejudice and hatred boil over all the time. Canadians lie.

Hmmmm, if we are as prejudiced as Americans, then why was it that the underground railroad brought escaping slaves to Canada -- to my area of the country to be specific????

History proves the majority of Canadians are nothing like the Americans in this and many other areas. You could have given no greater insult to the average Canadian than accuse him of being American.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by justyc

What was the context in which the word was being used was it used in a derogatory manner, if so, then I can see your point, but if it was not being used in a derogatory manner than I can not see your protest really having any merit. As I have explained above, proper and appropriate used of terms should not be flamed only inappropriate use of terms should be.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
you come to a board full of peeps from every country (except north korea lol) to moan about a UK terminolgy (I am enlgish living in england) its a board full of lots of oppinions, conspiracies and crazy ideas its a pretty free forum to say what you want.

enjoy it.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   

You're #ting me, right?

Hmmmm, if we are as prejudiced as Americans, then why was it that the underground railroad brought escaping slaves to Canada -- to my area of the country to be specific????

History proves the majority of Canadians are nothing like the Americans in this and many other areas. You could have given no greater insult to the average Canadian than accuse him of being American.

Using Americans and Canadians in this way is incorrect as not all Americans think and behaves the same neither to Canadians. This is one of the things that help to stir the pot, linking all people of one nation into one group.

Not all Germans were responsible for the actions of Hitler, but vengeance was taken on the entire country. It was not the entire Japanese population that was responsible for the bombing of Pearl Harbor, but retaliation was taken on all Japanese people. Both people of German and Asian (not just Japanese but if they just looked like they were Japanese) were rounded up and put in camps with in the US. Some Germans re-pronounced their last names to sound more English instead of German to avoid this and avoid being targets of attacks.

After the attacks on the World Trade center towers in New York, anyone who even looked Middle Eastern was attacked.

This is all because people lump the entire populace of nations based on the actions of others in that nation whether they have the same views or not. This type of thing needs to end if we want to end the hate mongering in the world.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Calling some one a paki is correct. Hes not a kurd from kurdistan or an afghan, from afghistan. Hes a paki from pakistan. In fact I have several asian friends, who would be upset if I called them any differently. One of my best friends, was known as paki joe. He was proud that he was a paki and not an indian, or some other asian.
edit on 25-2-2011 by illuminnaughty because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack
reply to post by budski

I've done it many times..Spent half my life overseas..
You're dreaming if you think most consider the word paki racist..
I had many "pakis" working for me and never have I heard that...
edit on 25-2-2011 by backinblack because: grammar police check

i'm not dreaming - I was talking about the UK.
Try it here and see what happens.

It stems from just after the 2nd world war, when many asians came to the UK.

As racism became more prevalent, "paki bashing" became a huge problem - this is why today the use of the word is considered racist in the UK, because it has its roots in racist violence.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I was quite shocked when I first saw the word being used here, but to be honest I just assumed that is was a cultural difference between the UK and USA, as it does seem to be, and moved on.

I know what the OP means though, it is a "forbidden" word in the UK and it does cause an almost gut "that's not right" reaction when I see it.
edit on 25-2-2011 by davespanners because: bad spells

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join