Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

what's with the allowed racism here?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 05:04 AM
link   
twice recently i have made an alert to staff over the use of the term 'paki' which i saw in two separate threads (which in most countries is like calling a black person a n****r).

not only have i seen that no action has been taken and the work corrected to say 'pakistani' instead, but a quick search shows that this term is used often here and i notice i am not the only person who brings this point to light (though i don't know how many others have complained to staff about it's use). i haven't heard back from any staff about it.

so, is it officially ok then that this offensive term is used here without correction?

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 05:08 AM
link   
reply to post by justyc

Pity you haven`t anything else to occupy your mind while half the Middle East and North Africa is in flames I think. There is too much PC in the world. Still it gives the Lefties something to gnaw on I suppose while their useless system of Government is shown to be just that: USELESS.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by justyc

I"M white and I find the p word offensive AND ignorant .
Im with you I believe its wrong .

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by exroyalnavy
reply to post by justyc

Pity you haven`t anything else to occupy your mind while half the Middle East and North Africa is in flames I think. There is too much PC in the world. Still it gives the Lefties something to gnaw on I suppose while their useless system of Government is shown to be just that: USELESS.

There is no "left" or " right " vote all you want it wont change anything .. The outcome remains the same .

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   
It's ironic that racism is a rampant issue on a message board with a tagline of "deny ignorance".

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Doomzilla

Yes, and I have never called anyone by that name in my life and never will either.. However, there are greater happenings in the World just now.

And anyway most people couldn`t tell an Indian from a Pakistani froma Bangla Deshi from a...(insert race/colour of your choice here). Try being Irish and joining the RN in the 60s.

And, above all, try not to worry about the little things.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by justyc
twice recently i have made an alert to staff over the use of the term 'paki' which i saw in two separate threads (which in most countries is like calling a black person a n****r).

not only have i seen that no action has been taken and the work corrected to say 'pakistani' instead, but a quick search shows that this term is used often here and i notice i am not the only person who brings this point to light (though i don't know how many others have complained to staff about it's use). i haven't heard back from any staff about it.

so, is it officially ok then that this offensive term is used here without correction?

So if calling a Pakistani a Paki is racist is calling an Australian an Aussie racist ? If not why the hell not,Paki is not regarded racist in Oz,My mates GF is Filipino ask him what nasho his GF is a he will tell you she's fillo,is he being racist,Lebanese are called Lebo's here as well,the Lebo's call themselves that as well,
Maybe the posters were Aussie's,we shorten everything BBQ=Barby ,Mosquito=Mozzy ,Bottle shop=BottleO

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dendro
It's ironic that racism is a rampant issue on a message board with a tagline of "deny ignorance".

Thats a kind of sarcasm @ it's best. Racism is allays a problem. Look at the churches that hustle the people to believe only in the one true god (of this specific religion). Thats just racism. Or the thing that grows between Rep. an Dem. -> Racism. ect...Cheme: "divide and rule" [normal].

add:

Mosquito=Mozzy

Haha! Mozzy is Mozzarella for me.
edit on 25-2-2011 by cushycrux because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   
No British forum would accept the word Paki.

Yes a quarter of the world is in turmoil and we have to be concerned, but life here and now goes on, If I was from Pakistan and saw the word Paki on a forum I would feel aggrieved, it is a derogatory and racist term.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by cushycrux

Racism always boggles my mind. I didn't even know that I was "white" until I was 5.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 05:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Travlla

Yo in the UK the p word is different , Idiots will use it for anyone asian looking , most of the time theyre not even from Pakistan.
Its like calling any white person a brit !

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doomzilla
reply to post by Travlla

Yo in the UK the p word is different , Idiots will use it for anyone asian looking , most of the time theyre not even from Pakistan.
Its like calling any white person a brit !

Good to know matey,funny thing is here we don't call peeps from Pakistan/India/Sri Lanka etc Asian's,Peeps from china/japan etc we call Asians,but not peeps from the sub continent,the oddity's of the world eh,a bit like Americans calling their bums fanny's In Oz a fanny is about 180 degrees away and only females have em

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Travlla

Hmm, don't take it too serious, but i am sure, from a bunch of white people, I can say who is american. Call it racism too? I mean a country, where even the critic people look like this:

*I am sorry Micheal*

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Travlla

Originally posted by justyc

So if calling a Pakistani a Paki is racist is calling an Australian an Aussie racist ? If not why the hell not,Paki is not regarded racist in Oz,My mates GF is Filipino ask him what nasho his GF is a he will tell you she's fillo,is he being racist,Lebanese are called Lebo's here as well,the Lebo's call themselves that as well,
Maybe the posters were Aussie's,we shorten everything BBQ=Barby ,Mosquito=Mozzy ,Bottle shop=BottleO

As you're an Aussie, I should cut you some slack - after all, you know what we say about youse guys?
But 1. Plurals don't take apostrophes.
2. Paki is a racist slur. Take it from me. It's actually a banned term on the BBC website.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 06:27 AM
link   
It's a cultural thing specific to the UK, and as such we probably can't expect our American friends to understand that is is viewed as a racist term here in the UK.

Put it another way - any thread where I see a term considered racist in the UK, whether that be "paki" or some other such term, I leave the thread.

More worrying to me, is the term "rag head" to denote someone from the mideast - I used to see it a lot on the boards, but less now.

On a side note, I have known many Pakistani's who refer to themselves as "Paki's" - so is this another instance of the "n word" where it's OK for someone of that racial background to use the term, but is racist for anyone else to do so?

It's confusing for some people, but my opinion is that some words are not acceptable, with this term for Pakistani's being one of them, especially if someone from the UK uses the term, in the full knowledge that it is used as a racial slur in this country.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by budski

Well I'm australian and I can tell you it's not considered racist here..

It's NOT a derogatory term, it's merely an abbrieviation...

To me it's just the media pushing this "political correctness" to extremes to help divide the people..

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 06:57 AM
link   
I'm with Blacky on this one (for once
), it's just short for Pakistani, I know Pakis' who call each other Pakis', and they don't mind other folks calling them Pakis', comparing it to the N word is just plain ignorant. (and I'm from the UK, those other UK members who seem to think it's a racial slur live in areas where it has probably tried to be used as a racial slur, it's not, no offence intended)
edit on 25/2/11 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
I'm with Blacky on this one (for once
), it's just short for Pakistani, I know Pakis' who call each other Pakis', comparing it to the N word is just plain ignorant.

In some places, poking your tongue out is considered a racist insult..

And I'm sure you agreed with me once before..

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Are you joking? Really? "in most countries"? What? I work with a few thousand 'Paki's'. and they call themselves that in one of the largest auto companies in the world. Maybe in your experience in "most countries' you must have visited...but not at this one. Ford Motor Company. America. Detroit. Michigan. Dearborn. United States.
One of them this morning said he is expecting a friend from home..."Hes a PAKI too". So I dont know where youre coming from...hardly racist.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately this is the sort of thing that can't be solved with rules or legislation. One hopes that people in general would avoid terms that are known to cause discomfort to others simply out of respect. And there's the issue. Someone who does use such a term probably is doing so intentionally to let everyone know they don't like the person or group. In the context they accomplish that as well as showing their ignorance.

It is a shame tho that we all weren't a little more like the Aussies in this regard. They offend everyone without discrimination, and so as a result they offend no-one. I kind of think that is a better way to do it. My guess is that they will lose out eventually tho and political correctness is going to muffle them too.

Too bad. By the way, I am a fag, a Canuck, and an old geezer, and I wear those labels proudly.
edit on 2/25/2011 by wayno because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join