Once money is worthless, what is the best thing to stock up on for trading?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
If you're being pragmatic then you need to stock up on hookers, drugs (recreational as well as medicinal) and guns for trading when the SHTF.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I wouldn't just get tobacco and alcohol... I would grab a massive brick of hash, which used to be used as currency in parts of the middle east...

Also chocolate, coca-cola, and various amphetamines.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Reply to post by Jedite

Definitely beat me to the bottlecaps thing. Honestly, I don't know...maybe firewood? I never truly thought about it (regarding the OP) but yeah, probably firewood, maybe just a little bit of everything...you never know what someone is going to need. Once money is worthless...people would probably be willing to barter provided they're friendly.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Hmmm.. how bout' Twinkies and sweetleaf?

2nd

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
ANTIBIOTICS
RICE
GUNS
AMMO
SOAP
then agean, if you had allthese tings in the first pace.. what wood you need to trade for?

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
food, tobacco, soap, guns n ammo, any type of medicine, candy (chocolate). water purifying tablets, rope, any type of fuel source, alcohol (booze), any type of medical supply. just about anything is good for trade as long as you dont run out yourself.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Elieser

Copper, Iron, flint rock, and lead; those would be a safe bet as per mineral's/metals after gold/silver. Good solid stainless steel tools and blacksmith tools could also be a life saver down the road. Glass jars and the tools to make glass stuff would enable you to survive winters with a full belly. And if you have time and room I would also add coal.

But I am really surprised no one added flint rock. Lighter fluid=finite, waste of space as in a SHTF scenario it is better to stock stuff that you can replace to form a more renewable survival strategy.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
The best thing you can do is make yourself a storehouse of knowledge.
It packs up light, goes everywhere with you, and holds countless things of value for trade or barter later.
Survival skills are essential, all right, but how many of us could diagnose an appendix or remove it?
Though anyone could go through the motions under a docs scrutiny i believe.
A lot of people will die of simple things.....things you can learn how to combat with ordinary stuff like copper sulphate salts,iodine,salpetre,etc.
Learn how to produce the materials for gunpowder...where you find the raw saltpetre how to cook charcoal(another handy skill for other uses...)
There are many real tidbits of knowledge which will be lost or unknown that would be worth food and lodging if people could find anyone who could tell them.
Seeds are great....pot, poppy(opium type)and other types of medicinal plants too.
Alchohol can be made from fruit or many other things.
Know that fruit alchohol is not capable of producing the killing fusil oils that whisky distilling brings out.
learn how to distill safely and you are golden.
These ideas and many more are free!you simply have to hit the library a nite or two a month till SHTF......
Other commodities should not be bulky or hard to store, move or defend.(depending on your situation of course)
Antibiotic cremes and anti fungals are essential they are small effective and very nessessary to those in need when hygene breals down.
Learn how to produce these or find substitutes like copper suphates etc and you will be welcome anywhere.
Who cares if they call you doc itch?
youll be a valuable resource to anyones community.
last of all is develope and attitude....its called I WILLsurvive.
hand to hand, shooting skills, hunting prowess, trapping skills,tanning and hide processing knowledge,
simple chemicals for same that can be cobbled together out of natural ingreds.....ashes,garlic,crushed berries or other flora,
Youll be well on your way if you get this together never miind the hard stuff......reams of asswipe and beans....
fix yer head first.
Determine that you WILL survive.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
For bartering:

Female pads as well as tampons: they are versatile and can be used as wound dressings and filters.

Things that connect things: nails, zip-ties, glue, screws in a variety of sizes, duct tape. They can be had in bulk now fairly cheap, can be traded in singles or lots, always useful, and probably hard to come by in a SHTF SITX situattion.

Plastic gloves, medical gloves, trash bags.

Spices: lots of spices and especially salt....salt has a bad name, but if the SHTF it will become a precious commodity again, and spices have a very high value to weight/bulk ratio.

Chemlites.

For yourself:

A book about the medicinal plants and food plants in your area. If things collapse, animal patterns will change swiftly but the plants aren't going anywhere. Know what to find where and when and you can barter that, too

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Okay, I've noticed some attempts at this that seemed honest but I don't think you guys have given this much thought.

Knowledge will be the most highly traded commodity.
Knowing how to do things without the manufacturing processes that we rely on.
The Knowledge to Fabricate all the necessary parts that will be required to repair our vehicles and houses, furnaces, plumbing systems, since it costs money to run the manufacturing and fabrication plants that create all of our modernity, luxurious or not.

second will be team work, or "manual labor".

your best way to get the things you need will be to work for it, helping whoever it is that has what you need, or a friend of his that requires work and will vouch for your work so you can receive the goods from the third party. There will be all sorts of way to "trade" but hardly any of it will be anything close to what we recognize as trading today.

The idea that you will be trading manufactured goods isn't a good business plan when the factories won't be in operation should the worlds currencies become worthless, so your 5 year business plan will not pan out when you run out of the manufactured goods that were currently in stock before the factories closed.

Although our currencies are all controlled by a particular set of people who would in it's place simply implement a new currency or financial system. If you haven't seen Inside Job yet, I suggest you watch it, it's a good video.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
without a doubt the greatest commodity to stock up in in times where currency has become useless is fine asian hashish.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Children

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Realistically I think it depends just how badly the S has HTF and which type of S. With a lot of SHTF scenarios, for example, nuclear war - there will be a larger secondary batch of S hitting TF after the first. Many many people that survive the initial S will die of starvation and dehydration then disease and fighting for control of the remaining resources and in attempts to seize power will claim many more.
Any nuclear war that doesn't totally destroy the world as we know it to the extent that it is impossible to survive will leave a lot of survivors.
A lethal global pandemic that kills more than 50% of the population would be a totally different story for survivors and again it depends wether 20% of the population survives because they are immune or 20% survives because they were somehow isolated when the S came spraying out of the fan. The extent to which the surviving population is initially dispersed and wether the pattern of dispersal is random is an important factor to consider, In the latter of these two scenarios you're going to have large groups forming from day one to work together but in the former it's more likely to be smaller groups looking after number one.
Personally these are the only SHTF scenarios I find to be plausable, I don't believe in 2012 or anything like that.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Elieser

Move to a more stable country, like.... Mexico

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Pokecards

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
weapons, or items that can be used as weapons, and ammo. these items will be to man then the platinum of today, they will trade anything for weapons.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Elieser

What you should stock up on depends entirely on your financial and living situation.

If you are rich, stock up on precious metals. Why not.

But if you are poor, it may be unrealistic to buy thousands of dollars worth of gold. Just think in terms of real value. If society crashes, what will people need? Food, shelter, medical care, etc. You can stock up on things that can provide those.

If I were really poor, like check to check poor, I would buy seeds. If I had more money, food and seeds. If I had even more money, land, food and seeds. More? Land, food, seeds, tools, guns, ammo. Just start from least expensive and work your way up.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Elieser

I've been thinking about laying in a stock of boys shoes and boots in various sizes for my boys as they grow, the ones they outgrow should still have some value, may be get a book on cobbling and a few tools, I've got some good blade sharpeners, for a semi civilised shtf scenario where skills are still exchanged, all none power tools would be useful.

Any drugs you can lay your hands on legal or otherwise will be good as would water filtration or purification items would be good trade or a ticket into a community you wanted to join.

Skills and abilities you can utilise or pass on to others will be what a post shtf society will be all about.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arkady
Realistically I think it depends just how badly the S has HTF and which type of S. With a lot of SHTF scenarios, for example, nuclear war - there will be a larger secondary batch of S hitting TF after the first. Many many people that survive the initial S will die of starvation and dehydration then disease and fighting for control of the remaining resources and in attempts to seize power will claim many more.
Any nuclear war that doesn't totally destroy the world as we know it to the extent that it is impossible to survive will leave a lot of survivors.
A lethal global pandemic that kills more than 50% of the population would be a totally different story for survivors and again it depends wether 20% of the population survives because they are immune or 20% survives because they were somehow isolated when the S came spraying out of the fan. The extent to which the surviving population is initially dispersed and wether the pattern of dispersal is random is an important factor to consider, In the latter of these two scenarios you're going to have large groups forming from day one to work together but in the former it's more likely to be smaller groups looking after number one.
Personally these are the only SHTF scenarios I find to be plausable, I don't believe in 2012 or anything like that.

That was a good read! I too think your scenario is far more likely than any nibiru or alien attack. Thanks for posting.

I'll mention the book "The Road" again. For those that don't know it, it's a story of a man and his son who are traveling south for warmer weather after probably THE worst SHTF situation you could ever dream of. EVERYTHING is dead, there are no animals, no trees, no plants. Cannibal gangs patrol the streets looking for whatever is leftover. The sky is in perpetual greyness and ash covers absolutely everything. The whole world is burned and dead.

While it is not said what the cause of this was, and I can't think of anything that would cause such widespread death, it still paints a very realistic worst case scenario. As one person they meet says "Even if you knew what to do, you wouldn't know what to do" What would do you? Your not going to stockpile enough food for the rest of your life. Weapons are the only thing that would matter in that situation.
edit on 25-2-2011 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Smokes, booze, narcotics, weapons.

Narcotics > everything else from a survival perspective; max value, practical survival applications AND easy to hide/preserve large quantities.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join

Haters, Bigots, Partisan Trolls, Propaganda Hacks, Racists, and LOL-tards: Time To Move On.
read more: Community Announcement re: Decorum