Once money is worthless, what is the best thing to stock up on for trading?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   
It seems like every time someone says to stock up on seeds, they always say non-GMO seeds. Is there a specific reason for this?

It seems, to me at least, I've been eating GMO produce and doing just fine. In a SHTF scenario you would think the advantages, such as better production and increased resistance would be an advantage.

Considering the only problems that I've heard about is that a certain GMO food may trigger allergies in people that aren't typically allergic to that food, since it has a gene of another plant that they are allergic to, at least that's how I understand it. If this was a huge issue wouldn't this be happening all the time?

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

I would seek out a gay community. They are quite resourceful and entertaining.

I'm gay I can say that

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I read on another site that even if you buy gold and silver and the monetary value changes to another currency,bulk gold and silver won't do you much good.

Buy pre 1964 silver dimes by the roll.

You will be able to use them to purchase small quantities of commodities and/or barter with them.

Not saying I did,not saying I did'nt.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Elieser
Any ideas on what else to stock up on?

Raman noodles-light weight can carry much can eat w/o water.
edit on 2/25/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Good point. Precious metals are a store of value as money but little intrinsic value unless you are fabricating jewelry. but the role of money will be diminished in a SHTF scenario....think more like BarterTown than Bank of America. Food stables are needed by all but you run the risk of spoilage, etc in large quantities. I am anti-smoking but there will be a market for cigarettes by those addicted to nicotine. I would prefer to stock up on small bottles of liquor (whiskey, vodka, rum) to trade. Also tools (shovels, garden tools) and seeds will make good barter items along with bottles of water.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
For the abstract system's collapse, I'm just going to stock up on a short basic supply of necessities, but also purchase a lot of tea. Tea is incredibly healthy for someone, and a high quality tea will go a long way to keeping illness away while destressing the individual. So personally, I'm going to be purchasing very high quality green and white teas in bulk 3lbs of each at a time. As I deplete lbs, will replenish them until a mini SHTF occurs. If it was actual ecosystem collapses, I'd be doing much more extensive gathering of resources. That's likely still not for a while yet, though.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
WEll I got me my disaster kit, call it military experience.

- reverse osmosis filtering kit
- fishing hooks and line (30 pound test)
- para cord
- snare wire
- .22 riffle
- .30-06 shotgun
- plenty of ammunition
- hot packs
- 4 8x16 tarps
- 4 2.5x2.5 carbon fiber sheets
- boot knife + Swiss army knife
- Gortex clothing.
- flints
- strike anywhere waxed matches
- small bag of home made fire starters.
- 1 weeks of MRE's
- 2 change of clothes.
- GPS

All stored in barrack boxes.

All that times 4. We each have our own bug out boxes and well all have pre recorded GPS coordinates as rendez vous points in case we get separated.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarthPhobos
Fearmongers, the lot of you. Quit qatching Glenn Beck or what ever fearmongerer you adhere too. Go outside, breath some fresh air, have a walk through a park or forest. Take in the beauty of nature & say to yourself. Im a victim of the fearmongering, money is fake, politics is panto but I am real & I will always have this beauty to admire. Take a flight & go travel, please I insist you leave your house & not be sucked in by what you hear on the News

DarthPhobos, I know that quite frequently we as a people tend to take off on tangents of imagination when it comes to WTSHTF scenarios but I have a serious question for you. Have you ever been truly hungry, not just with your stomach growling but where you are faint with hunger? Have you ever been so seriously cold that you couldn't stop shivering and your shelter was not adequate. Have you ever HAD to wear clothing that was not sufficient for the weather? And were any of these circumstances due to the the total LACK of sufficient necessities. On a very small scale, I have, and it wasn't just a camping trip, it was a real part of my childhood. I can tell you, it left me with an intrinsic need to meet more than basic necessities. And as an added point, even a person dying of starvation can appreciate the beauty of a sunset. It does not, however, fill their stomach, only their soul.

And back to topic, my top pick for stocking up is seed both for planting and trade, and anything you can think of that would provide the ability for self sustaining activities. Since we will all be basic newbies...lots of bandages, disinfectants and aspirin.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982
Note to self:
add condoms to list of survival supplies
on top of the cigs and whisky
the clerk will think I'm having Gadhafi over!
Of but no Nescafe,don't want any drugs !

Ahem...you want cigs and whisky, but no *drugs*?!!

Hello..?

1) Toilet paper/hygiene products . -- Luxury items, will be sought after.
2) Seeds. -- Essential item, will be sought after.
3) Weapons/blacksmithing skills - self explanatory.
4) Ammunition (can include bolt/arrow making). -- essential, will be sought after.
5) Water purification -- Not strictly essential, as people could make their own filter beds, or distillers, but early on will be sought after.
edit on 25/2/2011 by spikey because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Cigarettes...(and I don't even smoke).

Because they are small, light, easily divided, and highly coveted by those who want them. Better yet, I have NO use for them myself, so won't mind trading them away. (unlike ammo or supplies)

They meet all of the chief criteria for the perfect barter tool. Just be sure to have lighters too..

Of course, without a fortified community, it won't matter, as armed folks would simply TAKE whatever they want vs. trading for it, so you have to consider that the only way to truly survive well in a SHTF scenario, will be to do what we always did...band together for mutual benefit.

After all, that's what the thugs will do too....unite to raid.

I still think silver and gold will somehow retain there value.

Just not seeing it. I can't see someone trading a rifle for a few pieces of a soft metal with almost zero survival benefit. Maybe once some societies have reestablished themselves, but even then I doubt it. On the other hand, a smoker, in a moment of weakness, just might trade his rifle for a carton of cigarettes.....

edit on 25-2-2011 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)
edit on 25-2-2011 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
* Weed
* Cigarettes
* Beer
* Red wine
* White wine
* Rose wine
* Lighter fluid
* Light anywhere matches
* 10in Dildo
* Rope
* Crisps (potato chips)
* Gimp mask
* Shrink wrap
* Chocolate
* KY jelly
* Edible underpants
* AA batteries
* Walkman
* Stevie wonder cd
* Water

Ok thats my shopping list for the week, any tips on a good quality hair wax.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by James1982
It seems like every time someone says to stock up on seeds, they always say non-GMO seeds. Is there a specific reason for this?

It seems, to me at least, I've been eating GMO produce and doing just fine. In a SHTF scenario you would think the advantages, such as better production and increased resistance would be an advantage.

Considering the only problems that I've heard about is that a certain GMO food may trigger allergies in people that aren't typically allergic to that food, since it has a gene of another plant that they are allergic to, at least that's how I understand it. If this was a huge issue wouldn't this be happening all the time?

The gmo plants produce sterile seeds, thats how they make money from farmers, because the farmers have to keep buying seeds every year instead of being able to use seed gathered from their crops to reseed the next year.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
The only two words you'd ever need... TACTICAL BACON!!!

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Cigs are always a great trading tool... if your like me and dont live in a big city, i can go to the local tobacco shop(not convenient store) and buy the tobacco/cig tubes for 7 bucks, which is enough to make a carton of smokes. which around here, thats 1/10 of the cost of buying pre-packaged ones from the gas stations... The good machine to roll them up quickly, and uniformly is about 45 bucks... but even at that price, you can buy that machine, and enough tobacco/tubes to make 2 or 3 cartons with the machine. and that would only equal the cost of out right buying 1 carton from the stores..

Rolling your own cigs is definantly the way to go. can take the money you would have spent, onto other more useful items.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I would go to dollar general or dollar tree and buy a whole bunch of matches,lighters and candles. Also stock up on soap , socks and clothing. What you need to think about is survival what do I need to survive and what would other people need to survive.
In survival mode no one is going to care about gold or silver. When someone comes to rob you it will be for your food,water or meds not you tvs or computers.
I have already heard of someone being robbed but all that was stolen was food all the TVs jewelry was still there. Some people are already living in survival mode just look on you tube about the people living out in tents or tunnels. These are the type of people you need to pay attention to because they already know how to survive. That brings up another thing you will need a tent if you no longer have a home at that time.
There is not enough affordable housing around so I won't be suprised if a tent is the new american dream. I really think we have passed a point of no return for the poor and middle class. Even if we don't have a major diaster I think stuff has already hit the fan and we will see more and more people just surviving.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by James1982

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but it is my understanding that the seeds of GMO plants are useless, meaning you can't take the seeds of your crop to save for the next year, you have to buy more GMO seeds from the corporation, where as a stock of heirloom seeds will keep feeding you for years indefinitely as long as you know how to harvest your seeds.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by KingAMARU

Haha yes! Weed, that was going to be my answer, you can get quite a lot off of just a few plants and they're fairly easy to maintain, plus people love it!
I can only imagine that if our world was to change to be a world that would have this bartering system that most people would be pretty stressed out, and looking for ways to relax.

In all seriousness though, the "best" things to have for trading are probably the basic essentails for life, water, food, tools, clothes, because everyone needs them, luxuries like weed, beer and ciggarettes are just wants, wants that not everyone wants.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Sheep
Candles
Wine

Oh wait thats my DATENIGHT

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by WielderOfTheSwordOfTruth
reply to post by KingAMARU

Haha yes! Weed, that was going to be my answer, you can get quite a lot off of just a few plants and they're fairly easy to maintain, plus people love it!
I can only imagine that if our world was to change to be a world that would have this bartering system that most people would be pretty stressed out, and looking for ways to relax.

In all seriousness though, the "best" things to have for trading are probably the basic essentails for life, water, food, tools, clothes, because everyone needs them, luxuries like weed, beer and ciggarettes are just wants, wants that not everyone wants.

Not yet, but they will, and in all honesty I haven't smoked any weed in about 10 years.......oh yeah since I met my (now) wife, damn them women, even if TSHTF they'll still be telling us what to do and what we can and can't trade, so lets ask the nice women here what will be worth trading !!

EDIT: Thinking about it, I'll probably get traded in for a hot water bottle and a cup of tea.
edit on 25-2-2011 by KingAMARU because: I'm only human !!
edit on 25-2-2011 by KingAMARU because: I'm illiturate !!!

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Initially, the only things of value would be food, water and shelter.

If you don't survive the first days, what good is everything else.

Other things of value would be guns and ammunition, seeds, tools, fuel, and things that would make initial survival possible.

After things settle down, then you get into a whole other ball park, It all just depends upon why the SHTF.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join