It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Once money is worthless, what is the best thing to stock up on for trading?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Interesting, never thought about smokes and alcohol but I guess that these items will be coveted more than food. It makes sense, growing food is easier than making alcohol. I guess some would rather have these than food and would do anything to get them.
edit on 24-2-2011 by Elieser because: typos

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
cigarettes, alcohol and maybe petrol. you could stock up on pokemon cards, but thats a long shot.
i pretty sure if people cant trade notes/coins for goods ,things with value (ie: cigs & booze) will be most valued.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
cigarettes,liquor, beans, rice,firewood,garden seeds,sugar,salt,antibiotic's,insulin,bleach and of course water..that's what id stock up on for trade..

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I ask myself this question daily, living in California it's only a matter of time until the big 1 hits so I recently started buying some supplies which kinda sucks because living in a apartment there's no room. But this is what I've came up with so far. 2 Inline water Filters each supposedly good for a 1000000 gallons purificatiom from REI, I think I have about 40lbs of rice and equal amount of Pasta, So far I have like 150 cans of white tuna lots of tomato soup/sauce Chili. I have maybe 5 lbs pinto beans, 2 hiking water bladders, I haven't bought a crossbow yet but thats a HUGE item to havem, Supposedly Coffee will be a big commodity along with cigarettes/booze/bullets medical supplies (which I have unfortunatly neglected so far) I have a Huge bottle of Tapatio hot sauce because it doesnt need refrigeration and tastes AWESOME!....canned vegetables,heirloom seeds, Dynamo Flashlights and Its always good to have basic camping stuff..I started doing all this TSHTF preparation and now looking at the pile of stuff in my closet I've amassed LMAO I realize theres a truckload of stuff and I dont have a truck to make it outta the city hahah I'm screwed

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by ArieZ

Watch it on the cans. You can only keep them for a little while.
You don't want to keep any that has "bumped up"

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by UncleVinny
Yeah, I was thinking about that too. There is only so much you can trade.
I thought even copper pennies would be worthwhile, as they can be melted and reformed
fairly easily.

My final advice:

"Store up treasure in heaven."

That means, do acts of kindness and good will. It will come back to bless you.

Amen brother be good to your fellow man.We have our own "community" on top of this hill I live
on with a few hundred residents.So I'm lucky in that way.
edit on 24-2-2011 by kdog1982 because: spelling

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
You may find out that there are things worth more than this, for instance its not about what you can horde but rather what you have to offer personally. For me its more about what you have to share, this is what is beneficial and this is the true way ahead. In ancient times this was what was valued and I believe it will be the only valid coin in these times.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Bottlecaps as novelty as it may sound... would be an excellent system of currency...

Collect recipes on how to make your own booze... the skill would come in handy... and Wine's can be made quite easily... kinda... takes a lot of time though...

If i were to get one thing to trade it would be seeds.... vegetables and herbs and tobacco seeds.... lots of seeds...

Oh and this...
Trading women or babes or whatever you want to call females is sickening... although I realize no one meant any harm by saying it... just trying to get a cheap laugh... at least i hope none of you meant any harm... Someone very very very dear to me was a victim that was exploited and abused by people who werent joking around when it came to sex trade... It has left her very emotionally troubled... and she has "episodes" when mention of prostitution or trading sex for etc etc... Even just reading it or seeing anything related to it on the internet or TV or in any form...

All that I am asking is that you would be more respectful/sensitive about that sort of thing in the future...cos you don't know who will read it...She's not alone a lot of victims behave the same way
and I really wanted to show her this thread cos she like myself is a huge Fallout 3 fan... she would have got a kick out of the bottlecap comments... i'll tell her about it... but act like i cant find the thread again... if she asks...

don't want to put a damper on everything, nor am I trying to be a buzz kill... but its also a buzzkill for someone who has been a victim to read that sort of thing...

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by EvolEric

When I said babes I wasn't talking about trading them.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by ancientthunder
You may find out that there are things worth more than this, for instance its not about what you can horde but rather what you have to offer personally. For me its more about what you have to share, this is what is beneficial and this is the true way ahead. In ancient times this was what was valued and I believe it will be the only valid coin in these times.

Comes down to not who has what,but to help each other survive.
That is what humanity is.
edit on 24-2-2011 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I just in fear of the hoards of "savages" as I call them down the hill !

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
A gun would go a long way. But it's not about what you can store up and hoard physically, but mentally the skills and abilities you can learn now, when everything is pretty much stable.

If you need a gallon of water per day, it would take your whole house-full to last any extended period of time. But, learn now how to filter and store water from wherever you would be should the SHTF. There are a few physical things you need, but much more is needed to be learned.

Learn how to fight and kill, hunt (if you don't know how), fish, start fires, build shelter, cook in the outdoors, store food, etc...think to meet your animal needs.

I still think silver and gold will somehow retain there value. Money is convenient and desired by most people, so something will evolve to be what people trade value with, and there should be a place for precious metals. Also, if you have gold and silver now, when the dollar crashes at least you will still have the metal. Then, if the economy recovers your metal would still have it's value in the new currency that TPTB choose.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by EvolEric

What is sickening to you is not sickening for all. You don't make up the morals and values, the individual does.

"For what is right, and what is wrong; for thinking makes it so" - Hamlet

Just saying

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
If "they" can come up here now and dig through a 30 yard dumpster to dig out a fridge in the daytime while I'm gone,then I can't imagine what would happen if the SHTF.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Learn to fix things.

You will never be able to stock up on enough of anything to last you through hte sort of scenario you're talking about, so learn to repair anything that's set before you. Guns, cars, tools., cabinets, whatever.

In this sort of scenario, Cuban mechanics are going to become the wealthiest men on earth.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
H2O. Without it, booze, cigarettes, ammo, and food are all a moot point.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
You would be totally surprised at what people would do in desperate times,cause I witness it everyday.
Cause we are in desperate times...now!
I don't go a day with someone hitting me up for a dollar.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilBat
reply to post by ArieZ

Watch it on the cans. You can only keep them for a little while.
You don't want to keep any that has "bumped up"

they're all dated late 2013 so if Everything keeps going good at the start of that year I'm just gonna start eating them thanks for the tip....Is it cause that indicates rotting gases???

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Sorry,got off topic,
ok,so gun powder,lead,easy to melt down the lead and recase bullets.
Meds
Cigs
Liquer
An ability to offer to the community.
Thats is for trade only.
Stock pile your own resources for you.
Got it

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by RustyShakleford92

Ohhhh so taking a 9 year old girl and selling her body so that filthy perverted pedophiles can rape her and emotionally shatter her for the rest of her life is not sickening... Anyone who sells or trades another human being as a sex slave is sick... anyone who buys that human being is sick... that is not my views... that is common decency... Would you like to be a sex slave? Have you been a sex slave? hmmmmmm? ever known a sex slave? Well I know one... and those bastards that "tortured" her are SICK!!! You have no ideas the horror she faced from a child to young adult...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join