It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Critical thinker award

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I have become quite frustrated recently by the number of people authoring posts and starring posts that do not even present any argument or facts - they just all ban together because they are against something without being able to produce any evidence as to why that is their opinion.
They are entitled to their opinion - but is really takes away from the star idea if everyone just star's posts that match their point of view instead of ones presenting the best argument for either side.

I propose:
A critical thinker badge

I am aware there is a debate thread where members can debate - but I think it would be good to see mod's give out badges of some discription for critical thinking - presenting an argument with facts. Most people could probably achieve this but it would help us ignore those who are incapable of even presenting a factual argument to support their opinion.

Just and idea.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Dear Byteshertz,
When I first read your post I was tremendously excited (well, as excited as I get anymore). Great idea and the world has been saved for civilization as we know it. I'm not being facetious, just exaggerating a little.

But then I started thinking. I'm new at ATS, but I've read a fair amount of threads. In a number of forums it seems like the poster live for the cutting blow, the cleverly delivered insult, the questioning of the other's parentage, integrity, or sanity.

I'm not entirely sure there would be a demand for the critical thinking badge. It would give the moderators a little extra work. I would hope that it would expire regularly, so that the poster would have to continue to be a critical thinker.

Anyway, I like the way you think.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I had a similar idea... ; what if posters got demerits for posting something demonstrably untrue?

That way, when someone says something like "Wisconsin is broke because Unions spent the money on coke and strippers", they get a demerit of some sort.

Then, anytime they post anything else, other members can be aware the person has a flawed track record in relation to truth.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
Dear Byteshertz,
When I first read your post I was tremendously excited (well, as excited as I get anymore). Great idea and the world has been saved for civilization as we know it. I'm not being facetious, just exaggerating a little.

But then I started thinking. I'm new at ATS, but I've read a fair amount of threads. In a number of forums it seems like the poster live for the cutting blow, the cleverly delivered insult, the questioning of the other's parentage, integrity, or sanity.

I'm not entirely sure there would be a demand for the critical thinking badge. It would give the moderators a little extra work. I would hope that it would expire regularly, so that the poster would have to continue to be a critical thinker.

Anyway, I like the way you think.

Hi charles1952 - welcome to ATS

Thanks for your support!
"I'm not entirely sure there would be a demand for the critical thinking badge"
Yes, isnt this a worry. We, the site that denies ignorance no longer want to critique our own points of view. I find that to be denial of denying ignorance IMO.
I am sure it would be a little extra work for the MOD's but I think a lot of mods would like to be able to easily identify those who are known for denying ignorance by forming a argument from the facts, not finding facts to match the argument - from those who's opinions match the view of the majority.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by byteshertz
I have become quite frustrated recently by the number of people authoring posts and starring posts that do not even present any argument or facts - they just all ban together because they are against something without being able to produce any evidence as to why that is their opinion.
They are entitled to their opinion - but is really takes away from the star idea if everyone just star's posts that match their point of view instead of ones presenting the best argument for either side.

I propose:
A critical thinker badge

I am aware there is a debate thread where members can debate - but I think it would be good to see mod's give out badges of some discription for critical thinking - presenting an argument with facts. Most people could probably achieve this but it would help us ignore those who are incapable of even presenting a factual argument to support their opinion.

Just and idea.

As I understand where your coming from I think that the "applause" option given to the mod's is what your referring to. We will always encounter those that give each other pats on the backs for agreeing, but applause is given by staff, and one of the reason why many that are aware of this feature try to give their best.

BTW, whenever I am truly not amused by what is going on in the current topics, its always fun to see the debate forum, every time I think that I am going to agree with one thing, I am forced to look at the other options.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by byteshertz

The only problem is that most people are self proclaimed "critical thinkers".

Let me guess...I bet you think you deserve such a badge...right?

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
How do we know the mods are the most qualified to identify critical thinking and logic?

I see a shi-tonne of poor behavior here that goes unaddressed - seems to me that says the mods have no business handing out such an award.
edit on 25-2-2011 by Nefarious because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
There used to be a number of "badges" that one could earn based upon the number of applause one received:

"this one is aware" - 20 or more applause

"this is a critical mind" - 40 or more applause

"we have a deep thinker" - 60 or more applause

"a fine conspiracist" - 80 or more applause

"simply stunning insight" - 100 or more applause

"godlike wisdom" - 150 or more applause

This is something I miss about the previous ATS format. Maybe we could convince them to bring it back.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Nefarious

There are just over 70 members of Staff on ATS. This graphic explains things best. It was taken from here, just a few minutes ago.

Most of us are regular members, with our own everyday lives that supersede our involvement with our ATS community. In short, it is impossible for us to see every post in every thread every day. We rely upon the ATS community to help us by using the "alert" and "complaint" features as a means of catching some of what slips past our collective radar.

So if you see posts that are inflammatory or break T&C, help us out and alert it.

Regarding the issuance of badges. I personally, as a member, support such measures. A rational and well thought out method of public recognition of member contribution is something that I would fully support as a moderator and a member.

~Heff

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Considering staff often doesnt even remove wildly off topic posts even when flagged, i dont see them having the time or desire to do this.

new topics

top topics

join