It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraq braces for largescale protests

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
looks like the power of facebook is rearing its head again.apparently a group named A street without a hole in Baghdad with over 3,000 supporters are calling on people to take part in peaceful protests to improve services and
an end to corruption, shortages of jobs, food, power and water.
Nouri al-Maliki, the Iraqi prime minister responded by advising Iraqis to stay away from the nationwide "day of rage" protests, warning of possible violence by al-Qaeda and members of Saddam Hussein's banned Baath party.
he goes on to say:

"I call on you...not to take part in tomorrow's protest because they are suspicious,"

"I call on you to be cautious and careful and stay away from this (event)."

although their aim is not to topple the regime but to replace local officials, shortages of food, electricity, and other basic amenities i cant help but wonder were this will go. hopefully it will be peacefull. english.aljazeera.net...

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I feel sorry for them, cause they will be labeled "insurgents" and out will come the american military once again if things get bad. They really dont mind killing innocent people.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
This ought to be interesting with so many U.S. troops still in the mix there.

I'm also wondering if Afghanistan might be next too. They protest there all the time, from what I've read. What makes it count under this particular umbrella or not is eluding me. The only difference I see, to be honest, is the press coverage—or lack thereof.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
They can`t keep dumbfounding us westerners by saying the net is causing it,and if its true then they are using our fascination with all things info to create a possible false flag and allow expansion of a global terror escalation,using net to promote freedom whilst sneaking through to designated places for the usual.
I hope this is`nt true,but it is a good strategy for expansion of a old spectre ,we all imagined was history,wait and see.
Gaddaffi is finished,mubarak is finished,tunisia is finished ,iraq is ?Iran is?afghanistan is ?syria is ? saudi arabia is ?yemen is ?Somebodies pushing the buttons.
edit on 24-2-2011 by gringoboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

the thing that worries me is whether this whole middle east thing is being manipulated by certain individuals.
i mean think about it, all this unrest in the me pushing the oil prices up so that when this economic crisis becomes full blown who would get the blame? and the real perpertrators get off scott free [the banking cartel)
i dunno maybe im just being paranoid but it sounds like one of the cunning plots these dogs are capable of.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by kolcath

No doubt that it is, and no doubt either that there are probably a number of factions manipulating things.

Think about this simplicity. All they really have to do is report that there are protests, report them a certain way, which in reality there are just about every week somewhere, and all of a sudden it's a "thing."
edit on 2/24/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
reply to post by kolcath

No doubt that it is, and no doubt either that there are probably a number of factions manipulating things.

Think about this simplicity. All they really have to do is report that there are protests, report them a certain way, which in reality there are just about every week somewhere, and all of a sudden it's a "thing."
edit on 2/24/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

my thoughts exactly. i just hope im wrong about this. these people have suffered enough violence without having to be manipulated further.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by kolcath

This will not end well. Iraq is in the midst of a controlled civil war. Tribal emotions are bound to run high with a large gathering of Iraqis and old resentments will surface and many people will die.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
reply to post by kolcath

This will not end well. Iraq is in the midst of a controlled civil war. Tribal emotions are bound to run high with a large gathering of Iraqis and old resentments will surface and many people will die.

looks like you were right 19 killed and counting.
www.cnn.com...

top topics

join