It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gaining An Edge...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Hello all started this thread to ask a question, and from reading through the survival forum I realised there is a wealth of very clued in people here on ats.

I live in Ireland and as a contigency me and a close friend have been trying to get a plan together just in case.
So far we have decided on heading to the south west of the country for its high ground, lots of lakes and rivers and sparse population.

One thing we worried about was proximity to the sea, you see if things were really to go bad I'm sure rouge groups of people would be trying to gain footholds anywhere they could and as Ireland is a small island nation we would become vulnerable from the sea so I wanted to ask if anyone has any resources in dealing with the ocean bound threat and whether you think our location is a viable survival location.

The area we chose is Kerry around the Macgillycuddy's Reeks mountains.
Its a really stunning part of the country and I have knowledge of the area from my childhood.

Any suggestions on how to increase survivability would be greatly appreciated!

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by roasted aliv3

Nope, no way to defend an attack from a military target on the sea, short of an air force or a heavy battery of guns.
But then again a large military with a navy would probably not be a real concern.
A lot of small groups would be though.
Stay fairly small and low key would be my plan.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
could you alsoplan on "sheltering in place" - just staying put, staying quiet, watching, etc.

having more than one option - a "get the hell out" plan & a "stay put" plan - is always a good plan.

i guess another question that you should ask yourselves is 'what are we planning for?'
edit on 24-2-2011 by MMPI2 because:

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
On of the very edges of survival that you wish to gain, you just broke.

Never, under ANY circumstance, tell anyone of your planned survival bug out area.

Apart from that, the only real threat that would be coming from the sea... Would be armed forces of some countries Navy.
At which point, good luck with the King of the Hill scenario.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
if they couldnt manage to protect the coasts from Vikings for so many years, what makes you think you can defend yourself from the same.

essentially what i hear you asking, is how do i stop people landing near where i am trying to survive?

all you can do is build your "hidey hole" in the most concealed possible way.
unless u have access to the military hardware advised in a previous post

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by MMPI2
could you alsoplan on "sheltering in place" - just staying put, staying quiet, watching, etc.

having more than one option - a "get the hell out" plan & a "stay put" plan - is always a good plan.

I live in a heavily urbanized area and if anything did happen it would not be a viable place to sustain.

Originally posted by Sovaka
On of the very edges of survival that you wish to gain, you just broke.

Never, under ANY circumstance, tell anyone of your planned survival bug out area.

Apart from that, the only real threat that would be coming from the sea... Would be armed forces of some countries Navy.
At which point, good luck with the King of the Hill scenario.

I guess Its a steep learning curve then lol, and I disagree with you on the armed forces part, In my opinion in a SHTF scenario the rule of the jungle would apply and small groups of raiders would pop up, hell if it meant my survival I would do it myself.

What Im really looking for is people who have experience or expertise in survival especially in areas like the one I suggested.

To be honest we know little about this and are very interested so any help would be appreciated.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Hi there. Looks like a lovely area. I'm not sure what your plans are, I'm assuming you and your friend would like to "lay low" so to speak if TSHTF, not draw attention to yourselves and be self-sufficient? Kind of avoid the chaos that would likely happen?

I was thinking I'd like to do the same thing, but as I thought more about it I realized I might stand a better chance in a smaller community. An individual can't know everything but with a group one may be more knowledgeable about medicines for example, another about animal husbandry, etc...

Sure there would be the inevitible A-holes and control freaks to deal with but it may be a small price to pay for some security. Maybe I'm just being nieve.

You have to look at all your options and then do what feels right to you. Good luck.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by jest3r

Might i make a note of the soft limestone in that region and the abundance of caves..... the worst possible scenarion to me is knowing that you are vulnerable and you have realized a potential for water assault and that is good but use that to yaour advantage such as make their landing slower via homemade bouncing bettys and other mines in the sand or proximity mines made from cheap gadgets they sell at walmart such as the spykids electronic alarms that detects motion if the beam is broken, If you have a keen sense of how stuff works you can fashion devices for pennies on the dollar to fuel your demolition for the perimeter. Just remember if the navy is off shore and they know your coordinates it'll be easy to blast you off the map for a few miles away and in that case a really friggin good hiding spot that won't give off your heat signature is optimum. BTW a solar heat blanket is easily detected with the new FLIR tech and might I suggest investing in a infrared programable marker just in case you are in the vicinity at night and you can't hide because it will distinguish you as a friendly even though they can't make out exactly who you are in the night vision mode and gunships can't distinguish your identity either. The designator is very expensive and hard as hell to obtain because they are military and highly guarded tool to reduce firiendly fire on hectic battlefields. It works by a standard wavelenght that can only be picked up by friendly night vision that is in tune with a certain wavelenght that is programmed in. Plus the designator/markers are only seen by the nvg's that are running on a certain wavelenght of light. Get some fatigues so if you are in the vacinity of hostile forces you can blend in and they will think you are on their side.
Granted the scenario is a hostile takeover above mentioned stuff is highly useful but if the scenario is more disaster related shtf, then I'd make all precautions to be really crafty and make your supplies covert and stash them somewhere safe and if you were pinged then you could say," I was lost and don't have any supplies" if they want to rob you.
Take the time to make a ghillie suit and a descent pair of binoculars or spotting scope and it will be very benficial for recon as to the enemies movements and whether the specimens you are checking out indeed are friendly before contact with them. Just remember the element of surprise is paramount and if its a small group or a large on being covert is always better than overt.
The scenario is real if you are in it and never relate it to a video game because it is not a game. I have seen many people in the thick of it acting like the latest medal of honor game and blown to bits. Please excercise caution and never give you coordinates for your F.O.B or possible ones on the internet again( I only say that for your own protection brother).
I have no idea what the gun laws are out in your area of the worl and would strongly recommend getting something other than a stick and rocks to defend yourself with just incase you haven't recieved some iron for your arsenal yet.
Depending on your scenario I'd say pack light with a bug out bag and caches of food and ammo buried here and there or make a really fortified position with everything you need. Either way its always good to be ready and its better to have and not need than to need and not have. ENDURE FORTE

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Weren't the ancient Irish warriors famous for thier defense stategies, especially when they had to fight off the ruthless Vikings? Perhaps doing a bit of historical research might give you some ideas. There may even be some records of battles in the area you,re thinking of, who knows? (That area looks very rugged, harder to atttack, easier to defend.)

I've studied a little of the ancient Greek wars, they were very clever and inventive. Another suggestion is getting "The Art of War" by Sun Tzu, written in the 6th century BC but still used by modern day Generals.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
The only place I've ever been in the world where I thought that nature was giving me some real protection was in a small town in the Austrian Tyrol, it was surrounded by mountains on every side and had only one road in and out.
I actually didn't like it as it made me feel kind of trapped but if there was a situation where I wanted it to be hard for someone to get at me then I would say mountains are better then coast line.

No idea if you could find anywhere even slightly like that in Ireland though

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Thanks for the replies guys, just to let you know we do have other locales in mind its just kerry would be the easiest to get to. We have some useful supplies as my buddies brother was in the S.A.S for several years and supplied him with a spotting scope, nvg's and we have a pretty good collection of survival knives between us.
As for weapons gun laws are extremely strict in Ireland you need to have a certain amount of land before you can have a gun licence.

I actually think anything with a muzzle velocity over 1 joule needs a firearm licence so even paintball guns could require one!

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Watch the movie "Swiss Family Robinson", and you'll see that even a small resourceful group can face a challenge from a seabound threat. That said though, your best bet is to hide while they collect their resources and move on.

This is why in a SHTF scenario, there are either two key solutions...be a loner, but a hidden one...or band together and form a fortified community.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Not a survivalist, but if it were me and I saw forces incomming from the sea, I would head to another location. The average Joe is not knowledgeable enough to deal with that situation. My best defense would be to dig in deep, monitor there movements, when they get too close for comfort, move to my secondary location.

You may even be able to circle around them and get back to your first location if your clever and cautious enough. But I personally wouldn't engage. These people have been trained for live or die situations. You have been trained to use your cell phone and call for help.

If your just looking to survive the attack. Then do as little as possible to attract attention, and try to get behind them in stead of being in front. Be stealth.

Of cousrse, this is comming from someone who is not survival trained. Probably got it all wrong

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I suggest joining the territorial army. You get paid to train, get equipment you can take home (to an extent) and in this scenario you could bug out and if met by armed forces explain that your a ta soldier and wernt close to where your based when tshtf.

Personaly I think its a good idea, unlesss ofcoarse you dont wana get involv ed at all with them

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by clintdelicious

I wouldn't mind doing something like that but the Irish army don't take new recruits because of their budgets, I guess joining the British army wouldn't be a problem either besides being called a traitor haha

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Without numbers, combat should be a last ditch solution to any problem that may arise.

Stay dug in, but have more than one place marked to go to.

Lay low. Watch what happens completely. A basic study of military movement is good because most can study it and will try to emulate it. Flanking is something to always watch for. Watch the sides as well as in front (ie: the point of this sentance).

Try not to have one place that has all your food/supplies. Think that you may have to flee/loose that position.

Bury ammo in the ground where you know it is. Harder to find by your foes and you can get back into that area after occupation blows over or such. Try to keep very little above the ground. It's better they find a dug hole in a strange area after you've retieved supplies, then pull aside bushes and find your stash of medical or ammo supplies.

new topics

top topics

active topics

join