It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PFC Robert Garwood, Vietnam vet came home long after all POW's released, says there are others

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Hubby keeps telling me that about 8 years ago that a Vietnam POW came home, he escaped and got home and that it was on the news and then we heard that he was going to be court martialed because they the gov said he could not possibly be a POW an obviously had went AWOL and was a deserter who had come home with this story. Hubby also said there had been a few others before him that had come home on their own. Is there any documentation on this?

Kept looking for story on this and finally found it, hubby knew for sure it was a marine, read update below and attached links of Garwoods story.

[edit on 19-7-2004 by goose]

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Wanted to update this thread and mention that yes one has come home; his name is PFC Robert Garwood and he managed to get a note to a Finnish diplomat after all of the Vietnam POW's were supposed to have come home.
www.thirdmarines.com...
www.usvetdsp.com...

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 01:55 AM
link   
I read on one of the MIA websites the words, Gone but not Forgotten! Well from the interest this thread is getting I would have to say, Gone and really Forgotten, totally! Don't you find it interesting that a POW came home after the release of all the POW's from vietnam and also after the Vietnamese gov said they did not have any more POW's. Garwood says there are many more POW's and a document has been found that said they held over 1200 but only returned less than 700. Of course our gov. is going to call him a deserter, they don't want to deal with this issue any longer for if they did they would have to say that they had evidence all along that there were POW's and had done nothing more to get them. At the time of Garwood's so called desertion he had only 12 days until he would be home for his tour of duty was almost over.

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 10:10 PM
link   
There are a lot of controversies surrounding Bob Garwood case.

You can start from the report on the day that he disappeared. He was accused of deserting, yet he was already a short timer when he disappeared. If I can remember he had some weeks remaining for his tour of duty. Why would someone desert?

Some good details about Bob Garwood were discussed in a book: Kiss the Boys Goodbye: How the United States Betrayed Its Own POWs in Vietnam
Monika Jenson Stevenson (Author), William Stevenson (Author)

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Jweses, that Garwood story was shocking.

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Both the US & Vietnam government seems want to bury this story.

It is rarely mentioned nowadays. In Vietnam, this story is never heard.

[edit on 27-2-2007 by searching_for_truth]

new topics

top topics

join