It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

why do people follow laws or rules in general???

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 10:29 PM
link   
why do people follow rules or laws in general???

do they fear the punishments of their country or do they fear the punishments of their religion or do they just follow laws or rules because they are "nice" law abinding people...

what do you think and why do YOU follow laws or rules in general???

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Laws and rules are made to control the population without them it will be anarchy.

Too many laws and it will be a dictatorship.

For a democracy to survive the laws and rules are in place to protect the rights of the citizens.

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

Laws and rules are made to control the population without them it will be anarchy.

Too many laws and it will be a dictatorship.

For a democracy to survive the laws and rules are in place to protect the rights of the citizens.

YES but i was NOT looking for that information...

WHY do people follow laws or rules in general???

NOT

why are laws and rules made...

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 10:56 PM
link   
so they don't end up in jail???

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Chit-chat. silly question... its common sense.

[edit on 16-7-2004 by SpittinCobra]

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 10:58 PM
link   
People follow laws because of the consequences of breaking those laws. For example, let's say there was a law made that if you decided to steal, you'd get your middle finger chopped off.

That kind of thing is bound to stop people from stealing.

The laws don't really stop people, it's the consequences of those laws you break, that is of course, if you get caught.

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asclepius

thats an example of a good answer marg6043...

because of the punishments of the country...

SpittinCobra---

if it is common sense or a silly question, answer it!!!

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 11:03 PM
link   
this topic seems more of a point raiser than a real topic

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 11:05 PM
link   

this topic seems more of a point raiser than a real topic

yes...

i did not realy know where to post this...

sry...

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 11:10 PM
link   

I just had to laugh when I read your post and then looked at your avatar!

Maybe I'm just tired, but that was funny!

I would say because the majority are law abiding citizens needing the protection of law enforcement rather than the enforcement of the law.

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by mako0956

I just had to laugh when I read your post and then looked at your avatar!

Maybe I'm just tired, but that was funny!

lol. thx. my penguin rocks. He trusts no-one

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Laws are put into place, in part, to protect people, both from others and from themselves. Oh yes, and to protect the interests of what's commonly known as "the hierarchy". In some places, this could include any powerful organised religion.

The way I see it, many laws that are in place, really don't apply to me. Too many examples of this to list here, but I'll run a few by you. I no longer drive, I don't go out much, so the laws regarding driving don't affect me very much. I'm basically considerate of others, which means that my neighbours don't call the police to complain about the noise of loud partying issuing from my place.

Now when I was younger, I obeyed most laws for one of 2 reasons. Either they fitted in with my conscience, so that was no hardship. For example, thieving is wrong according to my conscience. So is any form of exploitation, which includes child abuse and anytthing else along those lines. And as an employer, I paid my staff well & provided far more than minimum amenities & safety standards. Thus I was dictated to by conscience, not by the laws already in place.

Other laws, like breaking the speed limit on a safe stretch of country road [when I had a car], well I tended to obey those out of fear of being caught and punished. Yes, I paid the penalty at times when I disobeyed! I think you get my drift.

Other laws that I deemed ridiculous, such as smoking ganja, well I disobeyed these on a regular basis, but in a careful manner so that I wouldn't be found out. I've downloaded copyrighted music, which is illegal too.

In my activist days, I was known to break through police barricades, I took part in unsanctioned demonstrations, & as an animal rights activist, I took part in the breaking into research labs & releasing the animals that were tortured in the name of cosmetics testing. I've incited & taken part in strikes for improved safety for workers. By the way, I was prepared to go to jail for any of those had I been caught.

I guess it's pretty easy for me to obey the laws. For starters, I'm no longer a young thing, & I was never a violent person, so being charged with assault was never on the cards. I don't know if this answers your question, but it's the best I can do at the moment.

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Bastet---

perfect answer and great examples

BTW downloading copyrighted music / movies / etc. is not even a law in my "book" or any other people's "books". over-priced things that has a 50/50 chance of being "good" should be tested or tried before being bought...

also, are you allowed in zoos

im with you on that note as well...

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 11:38 PM
link   
That is a VERY GOOD QUESTION!!! There are lots of different answers as well, but most important is the fact that YOU DECIDED TO QUESTION IT!!!

IMO, these are at least some of the reasons. (Not Necessarily In Order of Priority!)

1. Because we are told to.

2. Because they fear Dis-Order.

3. Because they fear Punishment if caught acting outside the Rules.

4. Because they are 'Conditioned' to do so. (Mind Control)

5. Because they Believe in and Obey Authority other than themselves.

6. Because they've never thought about 'Not' following them.

7. Because they are subscribing to the Belief that if everyone followed them, the world would be perfect and in perfect order, so they are simply doing their part.

I'll stop there cause as I read what others have posted, I don't think they get exactly what is being asked here. IMO, it's not meant to be taken so Literal or Answered with a Simple answer. But to spark an interest in one to think more deeply about things like, 'Rules', 'Laws', 'Authority', 'Choice', 'Free Will', 'Belief in Sociological Motives and Structure', 'Cultural Paradigms', 'Conceptual Reality & Ideas' vs. 'Actual Physical Non-Subjective Reality', etc.

(I also must warn the one who started this thread that these types of topics don't always go very smoothly.)

Here is something that better explains the type of things I'm talking about. It's long but broken into 6 chapters dealing with different pieces of the whole idea.

Reality, Belief and The Mind
www.sntp.net...

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by mOjOm
That is a VERY GOOD QUESTION!!! There are lots of different answers as well, but most important is the fact that YOU DECIDED TO QUESTION IT!!!

IMO, these are at least some of the reasons. (Not Necessarily In Order of Priority!)

2. Because they fear Dis-Order.

4. Because they are 'Conditioned' to do so. (Mind Control)

5. Because they Believe in and Obey Authority other than themselves.

6. Because they've never thought about 'Not' following them.

7. Because they are subscribing to the Belief that if everyone followed them, the world would be perfect and in perfect order, so they are simply doing their part.

I'll stop there cause as I read what others have posted, I don't think they get exactly what is being asked here. IMO, it's not meant to be taken so Literal or Answered with a Simple answer. But to spark an interest in one to think more deeply about things like, 'Rules', 'Laws', 'Authority', 'Choice', 'Free Will', 'Belief in Sociological Motives and Structure', 'Cultural Paradigms', 'Conceptual Reality & Ideas' vs. 'Actual Physical Non-Subjective Reality', etc.

(I also must warn the one who started this thread that these types of topics don't always go very smoothly.)

Here is something that better explains the type of things I'm talking about. It's long but broken into 6 chapters dealing with different pieces of the whole idea.

Reality, Belief and The Mind
www.sntp.net...

finaly, some one who realy knows the true, deep thought, process of answering this question!!!

there is not just one answer to a person, there can be multiple answers to a person as Bastet and mOjOm posted...

good examples mOjOm and i will read your link...

P.S.---

i started this thread and i LOVE heated debates...

posted on Jul, 17 2004 @ 12:12 AM
link   
strange because i was gonna ask a question that is quite similar to yours..

how did the US or any other country become so Civil?

Look at america today, we all go to school, work, etc. Eat 3 meals a day, brush twice a day,

How did it all fall into place?

[edit on 17-7-2004 by Thatoneguy]

posted on Jul, 17 2004 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL
Baste

also, are you allowed in zoos

im with you on that note as well...

Oh dear, are you a mind-reader or something? I was actually banned from entering Sydney's Taronga Park Zoo many years ago - during the time of then Director, Sir someone-or-other Hallstrom. This was as a result of the campaign I led that resulted in certain "wild" dogs being released from totally unsuitable housing, and moved to pet owners.

[Edit - typo]

[edit on 17/7/04 by Bastet]

posted on Jul, 17 2004 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by mOjOm

I removed the ones from your list that never applied to me, just to see what was left - No.1 definitely applied when I was a child! I'm actually not generally fond of "Rules", "Law", & "Authority", unless I agree with what they stand for. But I think the "Free will" & "Choice" of my generation has been replaced with a more conservative mindset. Or maybe it's the result of the fluoride in the water!

posted on Jul, 17 2004 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Laws are made to restrict people from going crazy, and destroying everything, and doing whatever they want. Why people follow them is because there ar punishments, rewards, people are loyal to the government, or people are just not affected by them because they dont do anything that is against them.

posted on Jul, 17 2004 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Bastet---

i am a mind reader for the state

AD5673---

good answer, people also follow laws or rules because of the rewards...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join