It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

why are you americans so silent ?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
The reasons that Americans are often slow to enrage or to at least speak out is, i believe with some degree of research-based certainty, because of the following:

At least 618,000 Americans died in the Civil War, and some experts say the toll reached 700,000. The number that is most often quoted is 620,000. At any rate, these casualties exceed the nation's loss in all its other wars, from the Revolution through Vietnam.

The Union armies had from 2,500,000 to 2,750,000 men. Their losses, by the best estimates: Battle deaths: 110,070 Disease, etc.: 250,152 Total 360,222

The Confederate strength, known less accurately because of missing records, was from 750,000 to 1,250,000. Its estimated losses: Battle deaths: 94,000 Disease, etc.: 164,000 Total 258,000

The leading authority on casualties of the war, Thomas L. Livermore, admitting the handicap of poor records in some cases, studied 48 of the war's battles and concluded: Of every 1,000 Federals in battle, 112 were wounded. Of every 1,000 Confederates, 150 were hit. Mortality was greater among Confederate wounded, because of inferior medical service.

I would add that these enormous losses were incurred in battles conducted with very primitive weapons and materiel, by combatants who had previously been simple farmers, merchants and laborers.

Americans, by virtue of their lineages, genetics (perhaps), and the particular vicissitudes of the founding of the country, tend to be slow to become very vocal and active about issues in the limelight. We have an almost organic understanding and memory of the incredible destruction brought about by large scale conflicts that have not been able to be resolved by more moderate means.

Conversely, I believe Americans are a somewhat advanced culture, and understand that cultural/social/economic/political conflict can be resolved with the genius mechanism of the constitutional republic.

I pray (and am quite hopeful) that the differences and conflicts we're witnessing now will be resolved in a peaceful manner. If, however, Americans as a group are not able to resolve these conflicts in such a manner, we all might better have our homeowners' insurance premiums paid in full.

edit on 24-2-2011 by MMPI2 because:

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by DevilJin

I am gonna answer by numbers and respectively :

1. in most of the countries assembling is not even allowed by law.

2. haven't people come to assume that media is betraying them ?

3.I think all of the governments are trying to keep their public blind.

with those answers my question is why people protest in other countries and in america nothing happens??

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by hmdphantom

Honestly, a lot of Americans are in a state of delusion. Many aren't aware of the things happening in the world other than from what they hear on the radio or see on TV. Many though are not silent but have been painted as crazy, baselessly refuted and on rare occasion even silenced. There are many people here who care about the things going on right now, but there are also many terrible things going on. Personally, This sort of thing is on my mind all the time but it's difficult to be heard when everybody around you is louder. We aren't silent, we're just muffled. We're widespread but we aren't connected. Trust me though, many of us care and more people begin to care everyday.
Peace!

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   

read the USA's "bill of rights"

translate as needed

and pass it out amongst your friends

get enough people who would die,, or kill,, to see these truths become common place,

and you will all be as happy or not, as Americans..

just a thought.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Some of us ain't all that silent. It just doesn't make the news. Gee, wonder why? Snort. Get enough of half-drunk citizens, and give us a provocation, and you'll see us being very UNsilent.

It's like when Virginia was a royal colony in 1776. The royal governor dissolved the general assembly and tried to confiscate firearms. The assembly reformed and met at the Raliegh tavern. They got drunk. Drunk enough to take back the weapons, declare independence, and run the royal governor down the peninsula and on to a british ship.

Anyone who writes America off is taking their chances.

Edit: this was before those folks in Philadelphia declared independence - the Virginia Declaration of Rights, on which the Declaration of Independence is based

edit on 24-2-2011 by mydarkpassenger because: Add

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by HoldTheBeans
Many Americans live a very nice life and don't need to protest is the simple fact. Heck even those in poverty have food on the table Xbox in their hands big screen in front of em etc. etc. etc. Police/Fire/Ambulance service right around the corner and a grocery store stocked with all one needs down the block. What is there to really protest about? You get pissed at your reps you let em know at the ballot box no need to run around whining and howling. Now people are protesting in the middle east because they want what we have..........freedom.

My "friend" , you americans are doomed!
Those things that you wrote above WILL NOT BE THERE FOR LONG!
Believe me!

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by leaualorin

You have no clue at all. Do you think if America hadn't been there that you would not be living under the Iron curtain now?

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by HoldTheBeans

I am not offensive.

but may be thats right for animals in jungle. they have food , a place to rest , a partner for reproduction.

what is the difference between human and animals?

please answer that because I am misunderstood about humans myself.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
The USA is just too big. People rarely agree(or care) about stuff past state lines. Compare the East and West coast for example. And it's winter right now, it's hard to rile people into a frenzy when its 10 degrees outside.
And, for some people, unless it's time to start shooting people then it ain't bad yet.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I would say about 1% of people I know are aware of what's going on around them. The rest are just so shut down from other perspectives. To have anti-gov/establishment feelings, to them, is a fad.. it's like liking Rage Against the Machine. It's what rebellious teenagers do. & When they're confronted with inconvenient truths, they scoff and go along with their day. It's like they're programmed to do this.

Everyone is so involved in their little universe. They can't be bothered.
edit on 24-2-2011 by jessejamesxx because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by hmdphantom

I am gonna answer by numbers and respectively :

1. in most of the countries assembling is not even allowed by law.

2. haven't people come to assume that media is betraying them ?

3.I think all of the governments are trying to keep their public blind.

with those answers my question is why people protest in other countries and in america nothing happens??

1. True, but look at the collective growing resentment toward the government which when you push people too far, the laws do not matter. In fact, the laws in place being broken makes the protest even more attractive to people nearby who may feel the same way. They stop what they are doing and join the protest. It is an act of defiance on your part and unless more people are willing to join, then you will be ineffective. We have to note the difference between a government being foul time and again against its own people (such as the U.S.) and a dictatorship. The U.S. is not a dictatorship.

2. No. The media has a DUTY to be neutral and work for both sides. During the 60s' in the U.S., the media did cover the Vietnam protests and if you compare the scale of that protest with the scale of the 2nd Iraq war protest - it was a staggering decline in numbers. I remember seeing the Iraq protesters on television in Washington D.C. and it was just a few hundreds, maybe less. They were regulated to a specific area and not allowed to expand their protest. The media made a media darling out of one mother who lost her son to the war. Media darling often deflates the power of the message because people are more interested in the PERSON, not the message.

3. True. Government is control. How much control you want your government to have over you is defined by how willing you are to stand up and speak for the people. What you, an Iranian, should be asking us Americans is: Why haven't you kept your government in check? Why haven't you Americans have not shown any criticism towards your government when the Patriot Act was passed, the illegal war of Iraq, and why have you allowed your government to pardon criminals like George Bush and Cheney?

The people's voices are loud and clear - the message is wrong and not important.
edit on 24-2-2011 by DevilJin because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   

then i am asking you this ' Why haven't you kept your government in check ? '

you made me narrow my question.

thank you for replies.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Well, We can't really say that we haven't kept them in check so much as the false pretense that they are in check. See our system of electoral college chooses which leader we're going to follow for the next 4 years. Typically there is a view that its all staged anyway. The biggest problem is that nobody will get off their duff and do anything unless they have irrefutable proof that they are being duped. Most of our population in America is happy because everything is cheap right now. We haven't reached the point where people are randomly getting killed by the government (that we know of) and most people still have jobs. All these things may be shortly lived but when the American population doesn't have food or a roof over their head or when they realize that our constitutional rights are being infringed they will finally be enraged. I also feel that our school system purposefully leaves out certain things which contributes to the "well it's always been this way" syndrome.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by jessejamesxx

the truth is that usually people don't care . but when it's done they have to care.

they hear about NWO or such things but they refuse to go and get some information.

I always come to conclude that we should sit and watch because :

when some one is asleep you can wake him up but some one pretending to sleep how can you wake him up?

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I think the best way to answer you is to tell you... this will not be done... What were you guys of the belief of "Monkey see Monkey do?"...

Think its really your plans? your still my little "puppets"... Your grand plans to get your people into the Countries you aim to destroy from within...

Those are really our plans for you... Things are so much easier when you are not where you belong...

For the numbers to be used in attempt to conceal your cells through confusion, lets just say nice try...

The looking glass has shown Rome is still there a long time from now so there goes those plans...

What do you know about balls? The way your people treat women alone shows how you have none...

So when you tell them of this know it will be seen, when whispering know all will be heard...

For free nations who feel the need to rebel as well BEWARE know this all part of a splintered plan to destroy from within...

dont know about you... but I will stand here... "opposed to deception"

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ValValient4

i think i speak for many here on this thread when i state to you a loud - SAY WHAT!?

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   

I agree with those who say "we arent silent."

Our media ignores any protests we do have so that the sight of some of our citizens protesting doesnt inspire more to protest.

You believe we have freedoms. We have a corporate owned government. We have a corporate owned media. We are a fake democracy, in which the people and this country are being robbed of every single penny and resource to finance the multinational corporations and uber wealthy who manipulate them.

America did not become what it is overnight. It took many, many years of manipulating the information we have, and consolidating the media for us to become this ignorant and separated. Your fate will not be different. The move to an EU and other large trading groups is a way to make sure you end up as apathetic and powerless in your own nation as we are in ours.

The bigger the group, the harder it is to figure out what is going on without the media. Once you have a group so large the only way to know what is going on is for the media to tell you, you are in trouble. Then you too will be fed on crap. You likely are already.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by jessejamesxx

I appreciate your marks . I am not asking for revolution. and I am not trying to make a deception.

you got me wrong. I am just getting information about how american people mostly think.I think every one in this site who has read some issues and participated in discussions knows how to express his/her opinion.

you are just trying to play like you are very smart. but what I am doing is discussion and getting info.

so please tell me that there is difference between revolution and protest and awareness.

they I say ' you smart .. '

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   

you are just trying to play like you are very smart.

some of us here have a harder time with that than others (ahem).

keep up your research. the truthful shall abide.

edit on 24-2-2011 by MMPI2 because:

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

You believe we have freedoms. We have a corporate owned government. We have a corporate owned media. We are a fake democracy, in which the people and this country are being robbed of every single penny and resource to finance the multinational corporations and uber wealthy who manipulate them.

please give me more clues because I don't know much about this and tell me how the corporate system is formed and how are peopled rubbed?

you gave me very precious information. thank you . I enjoy it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join