It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anonymous hacks and exposes Westboro charlatans Baptist Church internal infrastructure during live c

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Love it. Gotta love it when groups like the WBC get their just desserts. Yes they have the right to free speech and yada yada, but karma is a mother#er, and I love watching it do its thing.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I think every one can agree that freedom of speech is freedom of speech. But hate speech isn't tolerated by most.
Hitler ring tone = arrested
Anti Semitic writing = arrested
God hates fags = ???? Protected?
Anonymous didn't stop the WBC from speaking, they just added an additional page to their hate site during an interview. Anonymous has not claimed to take down their website.
An individual named the jester who may be a disinfo agent attacked the WBC first and blamed Anon.
The Jester and Anonymous butt heads on some things and agree on others but in the past the Jester has worked against Anonymous and Wikileaks.
The Anonymous in the interview is obviously from another country then the USA
The joke " over 9000" is 9000 times older than WOW

"Lives under a rock, complains about something they don't understand."

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by beholdblight
I think every one can agree that freedom of speech is freedom of speech. But hate speech isn't tolerated by most.
Hitler ring tone = arrested
Anti Semitic writing = arrested
God hates fags = ???? Protected?
Anonymous didn't stop the WBC from speaking, they just added an additional page to their hate site during an interview. Anonymous has not claimed to take down their website.
An individual named the jester who may be a disinfo agent attacked the WBC first and blamed Anon.
The Jester and Anonymous butt heads on some things and agree on others but in the past the Jester has worked against Anonymous and Wikileaks.
The Anonymous in the interview is obviously from another country then the USA
The joke " over 9000" is 9000 times older than WOW

"Lives under a rock, complains about something they don't understand."

Couldn't agree more

Funny how Jester and Anonymous often clash, but then ever so often fight side by side.

Am I right in saying Jester is just one guy though?

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

Actually, just found this

www.scmagazineuk.com... /197046/

Puts (yet another) spin on things.

The Jester claims responsibility for taking down Westboro Baptist Church website, as Anonymous refuses to back down

and

The pro-American hacker ‘The Jester' has claimed responsibility for taking the controversial Westboro Baptist Church offline earlier this week.

As revealed by SC Magazine earlier this week, the website of the Topeka, Kansas church was taken offline, with an apparent claim by Anonymous that it could not abide this behaviour any longer ‘and the time for it to be idle spectators in its inhumane treatment of fellow man has reached its apex', and it was moved to action.

However a Twitter update from the Jester, who tweets at ‘th3j35t3r', said that it had taken Westboro's godhatesfags.com domain down ‘temporarily for celebrating the death of US troops'. It also said that there was a ‘honeypot fail', assumingly by Westboro's hosters.

Writing on its Twitter feed, Anonymous later said that it and the Jester are ‘still like Sun and Moon, following our own agendas' and the cooperation ‘was an eclipse'.

In an online debate on the David Pakman show, an Anonymous spokesperson denied that it was directly responsible. A spokesperson for Westboro Baptist Church taunted the Anonymous spokesperson to the point that the Anonymous group posted a message during the interview.

There was some uncertainty as to whether the statement by Anonymous was genuine or not, as some suggested that it was a hoax. However in this message, Anonymous claimed that Westboro's response was ‘rather poorly-written' and Anonymous said that its press release explained ‘clearly the hoax behind the initial declaration of war against your church'.

Also worth mentioning:

Jester was very anit-wikileaks, whereas anonymous were pro-wiki.

But it's nice to see the church of ignorance being assaulted by both.

The Jester previously hit the headlines after it hit the WikiLeaks website in late November with a ‘mass distributed denial-of-service attack'. This occurred before WikiLeaks began releasing the cache of confidential cables that led to it redirecting DNS configurations from its Swedish hosting provider to sites hosted around the world.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by theamnesiac

Why don't you take your rift with 4chan and the other "15 year-olds" somewhere else. This isn't the place for it. I, for one, am not interested in your personal, adolescent vendetta with a bunch of kids.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
There is a lot of misunderstanding about Anonymous. It's more indifferent as an entity then most. Like the wind, it can power a turbine and a wind mill for grain; or blow a house over and destroy a village.
You can worship it or not, neither effect it.
edit on 25-2-2011 by beholdblight because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by soaringhawk

Any way you look at it, our rights have been stripped. Regardless of who you believe gave us these rights, they are gone. Futhermore, if you think God gave us these rights, then you are a total hypocrite, as the governments have taken these liberties and rights away. You are correct, two wrongs don't make a right, but at some point someone has to stand up and say "enough is enough". You're looking at this specific instance, I'm looking at Anon as a whole. We cannot continue to be force-fed untrue information or not be allowed to receive the correct information, no one anywhere deserves that. We have the right to be informed and if that right is stripped we deserve to take it back.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by General.Lee

It's not an adolescent vendetta, it's the truth, which many people on here seem to be blissfully unaware of.

Since my original post has been removed, let me reiterate a point I was trying to get across: some of you guys don't even have the research prowess to figure out who and what Anonymous is. How do you ever expect to tackle a legitimate conspiracy?

The topic of this thread is about actions taken by Anonymous, therefore speculation about the nature of Anonymous and the sites associated with the group (namely the chans) is on topic. If this qualifies as off-topic the mod team needs to go through and gut about half the posts on this forum.
edit on 25-2-2011 by theamnesiac because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by asperetty
I thought Anon was about exposing deception and justice and all that light jazz, not about attacking people. Standing up for everyones freedom, especially speech. Yet here they go attacking a group who exercises that right? Hypocritical. Anon, and nobody else should be dictating moral standards. Yet as always, anyone who gains power starts to trip on it. I'm not surprised Anon is starting to become intoxicated with it.
edit on 24-2-2011 by asperetty because: (no reason given)

When one's exercise of "free speech" involves challenging a far more powerful adversary who was NOT an adversary to begin with until you brazenly challenge them, a prudent person would probably expect that blatant challenge to be met.

All freedoms come along with responsibilities, not the least of which are realizing the consequences of misusing them. When such is the case, a "swift and emotionless bitch-slap" can often be the result.

In short, if your freedom of expression involves poking a bear (who has done nothing to you) with a pointy stick, don't expect the bear to just giggle.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
one should not tempt the word nor the power of god see what happens when you do, i hope they like that cake, served up warm i hope, and yes all links are still broken to them tried it for the S&G, and still down, hopefully for the count. VA V DE

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by nenothtu

Originally posted by asperetty
I thought Anon was about exposing deception and justice and all that light jazz, not about attacking people. Standing up for everyones freedom, especially speech. Yet here they go attacking a group who exercises that right? Hypocritical. Anon, and nobody else should be dictating moral standards. Yet as always, anyone who gains power starts to trip on it. I'm not surprised Anon is starting to become intoxicated with it.
edit on 24-2-2011 by asperetty because: (no reason given)

When one's exercise of "free speech" involves challenging a far more powerful adversary who was NOT an adversary to begin with until you brazenly challenge them, a prudent person would probably expect that blatant challenge to be met.

All freedoms come along with responsibilities, not the least of which are realizing the consequences of misusing them. When such is the case, a "swift and emotionless bitch-slap" can often be the result.

In short, if your freedom of expression involves poking a bear (who has done nothing to you) with a pointy stick, don't expect the bear to just giggle.

You're swinging at a strawman right now. asperetty's comment was exactly the kind of misconception I was trying to clear up with the post I made that got removed. Anonymous has NEVER been about "exposing deception and justice and all that light jazz". For about 90% of the people that take part in raids and DDoS's, it's all, "for the lulz". Attacking people is the general rule of raids, not the exception. What is happening with the entire Westboro Baptist Church is known as a "backraid". WBC tried stirring up the hive and they got stung. That is their own stupidity.

I don't care about internet drama or what the kids are doing on 4chan this week, what I DO care about is people being informed. Seriously, some of you guys really need to do your homework.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Wow, that lady is ridiculous! Ridiculous! Ridiculous! I kinda like her actually. This is one of the most ridiculous interviews I have seen. I recommend everyone watching this to see Shirley.

And then out of nowhere her GRANDSON shows up?? What???????????

This is totally off-topic but that video was entertaining!

edit on 25-2-2011 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by theamnesiac
reply to post by General.Lee

It's not an adolescent vendetta, it's the truth, which many people on here seem to be blissfully unaware of.

Since my original post has been removed, let me reiterate a point I was trying to get across: some of you guys don't even have the research prowess to figure out who and what Anonymous is. How do you ever expect to tackle a legitimate conspiracy?

And yet... bizarrely some of us do. It doesn't take a genius to figure out how to join an IRC channel, nor does it take an infinite amount of patience to actually read through the backlogs of anonymous ventures. But, I noticed you (in your now deleted post) parroted the (now getting rather old) 'anonymous are simply 4chan doing it for teh lulz' - In which case you're only half right. 4Chan is as much a tool as a community, as a necessity (if for no other reason to keep the festering realms of Bieber-hating, troll armies which now occupy the lower barrens of the internet at bay.But...

But... Anonymous isn't 'just' 4chan. Anonymous consists of everything from journalists, hackers, trolls, students, I.T junkies, nerds, geeks, gamers, politicians, bored people, passionate people, curious people, people young and old, male , female , northern hemisphere, southern hemisphere, muslims, christian, atheist, buddhist, sikk, agnostic, scientologist (well... maybe not). For right or for wrong. From every music, film, game, media, conspiracy, political, Dj, art, literature, history, philosophical website, from a thousand forums. From every angle of the internet.

Anonymous is everyone. Anonymous is a chan. A name, a collective, a message, a thought, a dream, a symbol, a meme, a movement... But... At least they're doing something.

And the sad thing is... The people who are against anonymous, will more than likely be the same people who moan when we no longer have an internet.

Can you suggest an alternative?

Sit back and do nothing? Moan? tut? Talk intelligently with a degree of hindsight?

Who really knows?

The topic of this thread is about actions taken by Anonymous, therefore speculation about the nature of Anonymous and the sites associated with the group (namely the chans) is on topic. If this qualifies as off-topic the mod team needs to go through and gut about half the posts on this forum.
edit on 25-2-2011 by theamnesiac because: (no reason given)

(see above)

Peace

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   

I thoroughly enjoyed the links you posted in your first, deleted post. It led to some enlightening info.

As to your question about a lot of people's ignorance about Anon and the ability to tackle legitimate conspiracies:

I can only speak for myself but I suspect that others here are in the same boat..I've never had the need or desire to learn much more about Anonymous. I had heard about some of the things that they had done regarding wikileaks and etc. While I found it interesting at the time, I didn't devote any time to it. Then I hear about what they did with the current situation and WBC and again thought that it was pretty cool stuff that Anon was doing. However, I never really saw the need to dig deep into a group that, while I liked what they were doing to some extent, didn't really effect me. I have limited time and I have much to research.

Now that I followed your earlier links and done some research, I now have more of a grasp on Anonymous. And thank you, it was an interesting hour or so of reading.

I can sit here and talk all day and night about any number of conspiracies/interesting stories that I have researched. Anonymous just wasn't one of them. And I still think what they did with the church was hilarious and entertaining.

Your avatar is awesome, btw. Nice art.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by soaringhawk
I don't agree with WBC, but they do have a right to do what they do. You wouldn't want someone trying to limit you exercising your freedom. That especially goes for my American citizens.
Whether you agree with a person or not, you cannot do anything that would stop or limit in any way an American citizen exercising their unalienable freedoms protected by the Constitution. They are American citizens and are protected under the Constitution of the U.S.A.

This is wrong.

You seem to fail at realizing what the Constitution is and is not. It limits GOVERNMENT from silencing dissenters. It DOES NOT limit individuals from expressing their displeasure, often in creative ways, with something said which is hopelessly lame and inflammatory.

Free speech? I'm all for it.

Reaping what you sew? I'm all for that, too, and WBC of all people should recognize the ramifications of THAT little gem.

To WBC, RE - "Anon":

"God works in mysterious ways, his wonders to perform"

God sez: you've been pwned, and stop using my name, before I sue for copyright infringement!

edit on 2011/2/25 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I would love to see these people go down. Their hate filled message is in direct opposition to what Jesus was here to teach us.

They even protested the play RENT at my high school. It's not worse than protesting funerals but still, why on earth would you protest a high school play... ? ...it's play.

Good post star and flag! By the way, people from Kansas aren't all like these nut jobs.
edit on 25-2-2011 by tobyxero because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

I am aware that some of you know about the colored history of Anonymous. That's why I said "some" people are really behind the times. If you know what's up then that post was never intended for you. It was intended for the people not in the know.

You are right when you say that Anonymous isn't just channers but a larger conglomerate of people from across the internet. The problem is that the /b/tards far outweigh the people with actual vested interest in a cause during any given raid. Let's look back at the beginnings of project chanology. What caused Anonymous to start DDoSing and eventually protesting the Church of Scientology? The CoS pulled a video of Tom Cruise that had went viral. There was no greater cause in the beginning, just a bunch of people on the internet who decided they wanted just desserts from an organization who tried to take away their "lulz". It wasn't until the news media picked up on the story that other people got involved and it actually became any kind of a movement with any morals or dogma attached to it. This entire WBC thing is just a backraid in the first place. The WBC came at anon first and got bit by the internet hate machine as a result. There is no higher cause other than what individuals will ascribe to any given action by a group of unknowns. Do you know that virtually any talk of Scientology raids will get you banned (or at least seriously trolled/flamed) on any chan nowadays? Once the story hit the mainstream the community had a big problem with people taking up their banner and labeling a cause with it (and they didn't exactly like the influx of outsiders into their communities but that's a whole other story). This is why all of the 'operations' and 'projects' have their own separate boards, forums, IRC channels, ect. Once there is an actual cause given to a raid it ceases to be anonymous. How can it be anonymous if you've given it a label? Yes, the individual participants themselves may still be anonymous, but the group itself is no longer Anonymous. It is a watered down political action committee. As of right now the WBC thing is still Anonymous. Soon it will not be, it will probably be called 'operation god loves fags' or something along those lines and will be carried out by a group of people with a vested interest against the WBC with a command hierarchy falling into place (which is something that doesn't really happen in anonymous raids, everybody just kinda does their own thing which is the entire point in the first place).

Originally posted by strangernstrangeland

I thoroughly enjoyed the links you posted in your first, deleted post. It led to some enlightening info.

As to your question about a lot of people's ignorance about Anon and the ability to tackle legitimate conspiracies:

I can only speak for myself but I suspect that others here are in the same boat..I've never had the need or desire to learn much more about Anonymous. I had heard about some of the things that they had done regarding wikileaks and etc. While I found it interesting at the time, I didn't devote any time to it. Then I hear about what they did with the current situation and WBC and again thought that it was pretty cool stuff that Anon was doing. However, I never really saw the need to dig deep into a group that, while I liked what they were doing to some extent, didn't really effect me. I have limited time and I have much to research.

Now that I followed your earlier links and done some research, I now have more of a grasp on Anonymous. And thank you, it was an interesting hour or so of reading.

I can sit here and talk all day and night about any number of conspiracies/interesting stories that I have researched. Anonymous just wasn't one of them. And I still think what they did with the church was hilarious and entertaining.

Your avatar is awesome, btw. Nice art.

I wasn't trying to directly insult people for not knowing about things going on in the dark corners of the internet, I was really trying to get a point across in a way where I wouldn't have to worry about 4chan kids spamming my inbox with stupid crap because "I broke rulez 1 and 2 lulz". However, there are many people who have posted in this very thread that have clear misconceptions about what Anonymous is and isn't, and it kind of irks me that people talk about things based on inferences from little actual knowledge. And yes, the entire thing is funny. That's the point. Pretty much any raid that Anon does is for laughs. Some of them everyone can laugh at. Many of them, however, are things that most ordinary people would find sick and repulsive. Anon takes down dubious organizations' websites and Anon posts inflammatory comments on memorial sites of kids who have killed themselves for cheap laughs. There is no morality, there is no higher cause but "doing it for the lulz".

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockstar02
reply to post by soaringhawk

Any way you look at it, our rights have been stripped. Regardless of who you believe gave us these rights, they are gone. Futhermore, if you think God gave us these rights, then you are a total hypocrite, as the governments have taken these liberties and rights away. You are correct, two wrongs don't make a right, but at some point someone has to stand up and say "enough is enough". You're looking at this specific instance, I'm looking at Anon as a whole. We cannot continue to be force-fed untrue information or not be allowed to receive the correct information, no one anywhere deserves that. We have the right to be informed and if that right is stripped we deserve to take it back.

No one's rights have been stripped. They are ALL still there, right where you left them No government anywhere can take them, they ARE, and always will BE. All you have to do is reclaim them, dust them off and put them to work. It's not anyone's fault, government or otherwise, if an individual fails to exercise the rights he has - it's just a personal decision, at the level of that individual.

Sometimes you just have to do as Anonymous has done here - grab the bull by the horns and wrestle it into submission.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join