It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Planned Parenthood Out, NASCAR Still in the Game!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Moments before (or after) stripping Planned Parenthood of roughly $330 million in public funds dedicated to women's health (cancer screenings, STI tests, family planning services, etc.) last Friday, the House voted to continue allowing the Pentagon to sponsor NASCAR teams with taxpayer money.

Full Story

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by nick112

They also continue pouring money into the game America's Army 3. They're at something like $33 million in it's development so far.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Wow. I don't even know what to say other than this puts the icing on the cake of how messed up our priorities are in this country.

Costa Rica is sounding better and better. Sigh...

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by nick112

The story is one-sided rubbish. The Army has demonstrated that the NASCAR sponsorship is the most effective recruitment tool they have and that it saves significant cash. Their recruiting success is significantly greater during the NASCAR season, with Mondays, after races the highest day for initial calls.

Planned Parenthood is an abortion mill.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

So abortions are bad but gathering more people to go to war is just fine?

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by warbird03

Sure. They care before a kid is born, but don't give a flying f once it is if it goes into the MIC meat grinder. Typical.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by dolphinfan
reply to post by nick112

The story is one-sided rubbish. The Army has demonstrated that the NASCAR sponsorship is the most effective recruitment tool they have and that it saves significant cash. Their recruiting success is significantly greater during the NASCAR season, with Mondays, after races the highest day for initial calls.

Planned Parenthood is an abortion mill.

Please demonstrate for us, presicely how they demonstrated this to you. Are recruiting offices open late on race days? Who attends nascar events for free, select army personel? Oh, yes thats where the money savings comes from...

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
And then consider that each extra soldier that does sign up also gets payed, plus they have to pay for all of his training, plus the GI bill after he gets out. No matter how you look at it, more soldiers takes more money.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
NASCAR?

My question: how does NASCAR affect the environment?

Seriously - - - just focusing on tires. How many tires does one NASCAR go through in one day? That includes practices?

What are NASCAR tires made of?

As far as I know there is only one recycle plant for NASCAR tires.
edit on 24-2-2011 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Actually Planned Parenthood and Title X aren't out yet, there is a March 4th deadline in the Senate. I wrote a thread about it earlier this week. Any American who still cares about this still has a shot at fighting for it, and demonstrating to their Senators that this is something they care about, and will fight for.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I just can't believe that this is how Americans would rather see their money spent. I was under the impression that many didn't support the wars going on, so why would they support advertising for the army? Maybe I'm just too Canadian to get this kind of stuff.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
They should both be out. Just transfer the PP funds to the healthcare system.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by warbird03

So abortions are bad but gathering more people to go to war is just fine?

And you think what that we should eliminate our armed forces and kill more babies???

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
They should both be out. Just transfer the PP funds to the healthcare system.

You got my vote.

Personally - I do not support ANY fuel powered sport - - including air shows.

I watch FUEL. I watch some of the amazing sports people do using human power. Have you seen what can be done with a simple pedal bike?

We do not need any sport that is powered by oil product.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Please demonstrate for us, presicely how they demonstrated this to you. Are recruiting offices open late on race days? Who attends nascar events for free, select army personel? Oh, yes thats where the money savings comes from...

From this article the nascar makes up a small percent of their advertising budget. Eliminate it and it would be spent elsewhere. It appears to be working from the guy in charge.

Along with Newman's sponsorship, the Army spends another $8 million for NASCAR programs that help recruiting efforts. The Army also spends $3.9 million to sponsor Tony Schumacher's NHRA dragster.

The Air Force's spending on its NASCAR program represents less than two per cent of its marketing budget, and the National Guard's outlay last year, $32.7 million, represented 14 per cent of its marketing budget. Freakley said the Army's NASCAR sponsorship has dropped more than a third since 2009. "We have (reduced) the races that we're in, we've (reduced) our sponsorship because it's the American people's money. We recognize that, but, regardless, I have to invest in awareness," Freakley said. "So, in some venue or another, I have to make some form of investment to make the American people aware of their Army and this is what we think is a good investment based on ... return on investment."

Freakley insisted it's money well spent. He said motorsports marketing generated more than 150,000 leads in 2010, with a third of them coming from NASCAR. "We know that this is having an impact on our recruiting and helping our recruiters with their job," Freakley said. "The alternative to this is having a recruiter walk up and down a mall and talk to about 150 people just to get one person to engage with them." Freakley couldn't say how many recruits actually joined the Army because of the program, but said he hears stories all the time about teenagers who gain interest because of things that happen on or around the track. Brig. Gen. Balan Ayyar, commander of the Air Force's recruiting, said NASCAR is a perfect fit for the military. "We have anecdotal data that suggests that the broad scope of our marketing strategy is working," he said.

Link to article
edit on 24-2-2011 by HoldTheBeans because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by G.A.G.

Here is the quote from congressional testimony

“Last year, 2010, we had over 150,000 leads out of the sports marketing program; 46,000 of those — one third — came from Nascar and the motorsports programs,” Lt. Gen. Benjamin C. Freakley, Commanding General of the U.S. Army Accessions Command, said Friday. “We know that this is having an impact on our recruiting and helping our recruiters with their job. The alternative to this is having a recruiter walk up and down a mall and talk to about 150 people just to get one person to engage with them.”

www.nytimes.com...

We need an army. We don't need to have abortions funded on the public dime.

If you don't believe we need an army, fine kibosh the NASCAR sponsorship. Otherwise we need to have the most cost effective means to recruit more soldiers

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Planned Parenthood is not allowed to use public funding for abortions, its illegal. They provide family planning and sexual health related care with government funds.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by dolphinfan
reply to post by G.A.G.

Here is the quote from congressional testimony

“Last year, 2010, we had over 150,000 leads out of the sports marketing program; 46,000 of those — one third — came from Nascar and the motorsports programs,” Lt. Gen. Benjamin C. Freakley, Commanding General of the U.S. Army Accessions Command, said Friday. “We know that this is having an impact on our recruiting and helping our recruiters with their job. The alternative to this is having a recruiter walk up and down a mall and talk to about 150 people just to get one person to engage with them.”

www.nytimes.com...

We need an army. We don't need to have abortions funded on the public dime.

If you don't believe we need an army, fine kibosh the NASCAR sponsorship. Otherwise we need to have the most cost effective means to recruit more soldiers

46000 is less than 1/3. of 150000. "Having an impact" means something entirely different than the way you claimed in your reply. Its kinda funny until now nascar has been portayed as catering to the "hillbilly-beer drinking" crowd, but currently its this "grand provider" of spartan type hillbilly, beer drinking recruits? Not so.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by JewelFlip

The money is comingled and it is impossible to ascertain which fungible dollar goes to what. Planned Parenthood has consistently failed to successfully pass external audits which would show that the proper internal controls are in place to ensure that the federal money is ring-fenced from other operating funds.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
We don't need military advertising budgets. Haven't they heard? They've used up all our money and then some already. The military should just stick to the free social networking sites for their "advertising" i.e. recruitment like most of the rest of us do.

And Annee has a total point...the irony of them advertising with a fuel-guzzling sport when we're sending troops over to guard interests in and for the fuel producing nations is really too much to take.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by JewelFlip

Planned Parenthood is not allowed to use public funding for abortions, its illegal. They provide family planning and sexual health related care with government funds.

Prostitution is illegal too but they seem to dabble in that

top topics

<<   2 >>

join